Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-12-2016, 03:20 PM   #1

Maiden Voyage

Headed to Port Aransas TX with the new rig (Crusader 315). Did a shakedown cruise over Monarch Pass. Tows nice. Had a refer problem. The igniter was touching the burner so no spark to light. Talked to the dealership and was able to fix it on the road. Couple of trim issues but pleased overall. Can't wait to head out. Traded off the old Montana for this rig.

2016 Boston Whaler Montauk 150
Former Montana owner
Colorado Cruiser, Over the Pass and Down the Hill
Comanchecreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2016, 03:35 PM   #2

Enjoy. We have one and love the livability it provides. Pulls good too.
Good SAM # 807510227
FROG # GA-0056-236
FMCA # F471293
Jlreeves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2016, 07:01 PM   #3

Congrats on your new 315RST.

We took our new 315RST on it's maiden voyage Labor Day weekend, then our second trip a couple of weeks ago. Hoping for a third trip the second week of next month before winterizing. We'll take it to the dealership sometime after that to have warranty issues fixed.

The floorplan works out great for us. Love the large shower with the seat. Plenty of storage throughout the trailer, especially in the bedroom. Enjoyed watching the 50" TV from the reclining theater seats.

I also like the way it tows. No issues so far, but I've only pulled it approx. 500 miles.

We are only experiencing a few issues, black rinse tank connection leaks, main slide out needs adjusting and one slow leaking tire. Come to find out it was leaking around a previous plug..........I contacted PT and they're taking care of it.

This is our first 5'er and overall we are well pleased with it.

&
grhodes50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2016, 08:44 PM   #4

Haven't run into to many issues so far. Been able to deal with them myself so far. Have yearsof RV experience. This is my 4th rig. 2 Motorhomes and this is my second 5er. Had our Montana for 10 years. Finally gave in to the electric awning and self leveling system. Love the layout. Rides better than the Montana. Lighter suspension,doesn't have the load capacity so have to be more careful with the weight. Got rid of the TowMaxes and went with Michelin XPS's. Steel sidewall steel belts. Tough tire. This trip will tell the tale. 2200 miles round trip.
Old 10-13-2016, 09:12 AM   #5

I had the electric awning on my PT LaCrosse tt, but this is my first camper with the self leveling system. Makes it so easy to set up and tear down.

We are hoping that in a couple of years after my DW retires we'll be able to take some longer trips. I should have all the "new camper bugs" worked out by then. I will probably upgrade the 5'ers tires and maybe upgrade the tv to an F-350 before we take those trips.

I weighed at a CAT Scale on our first trip out. We were going out for 6 days, so we loaded a little heavier than normal. We had about 2/3 of water in the fresh water tank (forgot to drain after dealer's PDI ) and also loaded some items for the boat, etc... I was still surprised to find out that we loaded 1,338 lbs of stuff. Guess it adds up quicker than you think.

Have fun on your trip and keep us updated on how the trailer performs.
grhodes50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2016, 06:46 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by grhodes50 View Post
I had the electric awning on my PT LaCrosse tt, but this is my first camper with the self leveling system. Makes it so easy to set up and tear down.

We are hoping that in a couple of years after my DW retires we'll be able to take some longer trips. I should have all the "new camper bugs" worked out by then. I will probably upgrade the 5'ers tires and maybe upgrade the tv to an F-350 before we take those trips.

I weighed at a CAT Scale on our first trip out. We were going out for 6 days, so we loaded a little heavier than normal. We had about 2/3 of water in the fresh water tank (forgot to drain after dealer's PDI ) and also loaded some items for the boat, etc... I was still surprised to find out that we loaded 1,338 lbs of stuff. Guess it adds up quicker than you think.

Have fun on your trip and keep us updated on how the trailer performs.
Think your good with the 315 to 2250 pounds added weight according to the stickers. I never run with water. Weighs too much to haul over the passes in Colorado. Only been a very few places where water wasn't available although seems to be more now than in the past. Some won't let you use a fill hose off of an outlet. They make you use a container which would be tough on a 315. The recessed water fill makes it difficult to pour water into the fill spout. Still looking for a solution to that one. (National Forest Service Campgrounds such as Lake Granby and Shadow Mountain Reservoir).

Former Montana owner
Old 10-13-2016, 07:45 PM   #7

We use a water bandit to get water from faucets that are not threaded.
djeirlessr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2016, 09:13 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by djeirlessr View Post
We use a water bandit to get water from faucets that are not threaded.
Used them.Keep one in the trailer but the camp hosts will yell at you if they catch you. Actually quit going to those parks because of the Park Nazi's.
Old 10-16-2016, 07:34 AM   #9

Congrats on the new trailer and best of luck on the trip. Where are you staying in Port A?
Old 10-16-2016, 11:42 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Houstonkid View Post
Congrats on the new trailer and best of luck on the trip. Where are you staying in Port A?
We like Surfside. Have friends there every year and we like it's near enough to walk to the beach, but not on it. Plenty of other good ones though. Pioneer is good and Gulf Waters, just both very big. Surfside is smaller and quieter, and closer to town.

Former Montana owner
Old 10-16-2016, 03:41 PM   #11

Very nice, enjoy your stay. We stay at Gulf Waters a couple of times a year.

If you eat out at all give the Black Marlin Grill a try, it is out at the golf course. We were really impressed.
Old 10-19-2016, 04:21 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Houstonkid View Post
Very nice, enjoy your stay. We stay at Gulf Waters a couple of times a year.

If you eat out at all give the Black Marlin Grill a try, it is out at the golf course. We were really impressed.
We'll try it. Expensive?

Former Montana owner
Old 10-19-2016, 04:30 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comanchecreek View Post
We'll try it. Expensive?
It is isn't too bad, some of their main dishes are a little up there at 20-25$.

And it is a casual place. If you like a drink go to the top of the lookout bar and have a drink very nice view.
Old 12-07-2016, 09:35 AM   #14

We're Back

We're back from Port A. 3000 miles. 5 Parks. 5 weeks at Surfside. Trailer towed beautifully. Only real issue mechanically during the trip was the failed holding tank sensors. Probably have a wiring issue cause won't move off of zero. Loved the layout of the 315. This was our fourth trip. Other three were in our Montana and we were impressed by how roomy the 315 was. Weren't hating each other at the end of the trip. We put a small freezer where the washer dryer setup goes and hauled back a ton of shrimp and fish. Meet the shrimp boats at the dock. As fresh as you can get.

Former Montana owner
Old 12-07-2016, 12:29 PM   #15

Sounds like a great trip, you sure can't beat that fresh seafood!