Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-06-2012, 12:10 AM   #1

Maiden Voyage - LaCrosse 318BHS

We are about half way through our maiden voyage in our new LaCrosse 318BHS and I must say we are VERY pleased so far. Left the Texas Hill Country last saturday and drove to Roswell NM. Stayed there for 2 nights then headed up north to Colorado. We've been hanging out in the Taylor River Canyon for three nights. Saturday morning we will trek back to New Mexico for 2 nights then back home. So far this TT has exceeded our expectations.

Couple of observations...
1. The 50 Amp Service - Awesome! We really needed some serious cooling in the Roswell heat and the 2 AC units delivered + I can run the TV, Coffee Pot, and Pump water all at the same time while both AC's are running... no problem.
2. Sidekick Grill... I've heard some not so good comments about this grill but our experience has been very positive. Deer sausage, Brats, and steaks... all turned out perfectly. A very nice finish to the outdoor kitchen.
3. Build quality... Excellent. I can't find anything wrong with this rig except for the antenna - it won't turn. We normally use Satellite anyway, I am just checking everything out. Fit and Finish is excellent, all appliances work, and it tows very nicely behind the F250 Diesel. Very, very satisfied... great job Prime Time!

I will try and post up some pics before we get back.
2 Wilderness Systems Kayaks
Nights Spent Camping in 2011 (19), 2012 (16)
https://www.armadillotimes.com
HondoPatrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 06:10 PM   #2

Great to hear about your experience with the 318BHS. We are considering the same TT. From what you said I will definitely go with dual AC and 50 amp service since we live in VA with hot and humid summers. Did you have to special order the dual AC and 50 amp? Keep giving your updates when possible.
Thanks
JBurley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 06:27 PM   #3

Hello fellow 318bhs owner. Glad to hear that you are enjoying your trailer. I wish my trailer had 50amp service...but then I could not plug it into my 30amp service I ran for my trailer. I hope you have many great memories to come.....
Old 09-07-2012, 12:06 AM   #4

That's great to hear. Hope you have many more enjoyable trips with the 318BHS, which seems to be PT's most popular floorplan.
grhodes50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 12:13 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBurley View Post
Great to hear about your experience with the 318BHS. We are considering the same TT. From what you said I will definitely go with dual AC and 50 amp service since we live in VA with hot and humid summers. Did you have to special order the dual AC and 50 amp? Keep giving your updates when possible.
Thanks
JBurley I did not have to special order the dual AC/50 amp model. My dealer only had 2 on the lot and both were 50amp with the dual AC's. He told me they only were ordering the 50amp model because of the Texas weather... Now, that being said, I did look at another unit at a different dealer and it only had the single AC 30 amp service.
Old 09-30-2012, 01:26 AM   #6

Glad to hear you are happy with your new camper. I also have the same camper and we love it too. I am so glad we got the 50 amp service as well. There is no trouble cooling that puppy down in the southern Louisiana heat. Camping world sells a short adaptor cable that allows you to convert the 50 amp to 30 amp so you can plug in to a 30 amp service. everything will work fine but you can only run one of the A/C units at a time. I have had to use it at a few state parks because they only had 30 amp sites available. This is one of those things that I carry at all times, just in case. Happy camping.
B & W Companion Hitch
Happy Camping
fordmoco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 08:42 PM   #7

We just finished our 2nd camping trip with our 318 BHS. Pretty happy with it. We had a bit of a problem on our first trip. After the 2nd time of running out the big room slide, we noticed that our floor was roughed up a bit. Moved slide in and back out after moving and then we had a really big gash in the floor and you could see where the slide was trying to rip the carpet too. Took it in to the dealer to have them take a look at it, turns out there was a screw? loose? And they are waiting on prime time to authorize the repair. Other than that, everything worked well. Love all the space, I'm not even sure what to put in all those cupboards.

There seems to be a lot of movement when people are walking and we'd like to get some x chock's but I can't find the bigger ones anywhere and I think the regular ones won't fit. Only other complaint is the bed-already replaced the mattress and then the length is too short for us tall people-no room for our feet to hang off.
Kathyrarnold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 08:06 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathyrarnold View Post
Only other complaint is the bed-already replaced the mattress and then the length is too short for us tall people-no room for our feet to hang off.
Curious... where did you find a mattress at? We've been wanting to replace ours also but can't find that oddball size anywhere...

We purchased our BAL X-Tended X-Chocks off of ebay... try the link below

BAL X-Tended X-Chocks
Old 10-03-2012, 08:29 PM   #9

Bought the mattress on amazon. Type in short queen and several will come up. We bought a cheaper one (about$200). It's not as good as mine at home, but MUCH better then the original. We put our topper on it and it's pretty good. It is also made in the USA, and weighs about 30 lbs or less, so getting I to the bed storage is fine. In fact the board stays up better than the original. And thanks for the link. I'll check that out. I take it the x chocks work well?
Old 10-03-2012, 08:50 PM   #10

Try this, you need x-tended x-chocks. I have them and work fine.

http://www.adventurerv.net/bal-xtend...k-p-27020.html
TTNewbees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 09:44 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathyrarnold View Post
Bought the mattress on amazon. Type in short queen and several will come up. We bought a cheaper one (about$200). It's not as good as mine at home, but MUCH better then the original. We put our topper on it and it's pretty good. It is also made in the USA, and weighs about 30 lbs or less, so getting I to the bed storage is fine. In fact the board stays up better than the original. And thanks for the link. I'll check that out. I take it the x chocks work well?
Kathy, what size mattress did you get... most of what I see is 60 x 74. My mattress measures, if I remember correctly, is 59 x 70... did you get a 60 x 74 to work?
Old 10-04-2012, 10:34 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by HondoPatrick

Kathy, what size mattress did you get... most of what I see is 60 x 74. My mattress measures, if I remember correctly, is 59 x 70... did you get a 60 x 74 to work?
Yes, that size worked just fine. Near as I could tell it seemed to be the same size as the original. Our topper is a bit too long so a regular queen won't fit, but the short queens will. We bought the Serenia 6". Like I said, not as good as home but check the weight. Shipping weight is 33.8 and I think the mattress itself is at least 5 lbs less than that. If you are looking for a much better mattress there are some really nice ones, but again, weight is a lot more and so is the price.
Old 10-23-2012, 06:54 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathyrarnold

Yes, that size worked just fine. Near as I could tell it seemed to be the same size as the original. Our topper is a bit too long so a regular queen won't fit, but the short queens will. We bought the Serenia 6". Like I said, not as good as home but check the weight. Shipping weight is 33.8 and I think the mattress itself is at least 5 lbs less than that. If you are looking for a much better mattress there are some really nice ones, but again, weight is a lot more and so is the price.
We have the Lacrosse 301 RLS and before we used it I added a 6" extension to the end of the bed base and we then have since moved our full Queen sleep number matress in and it is well worht it. Of course since then we have sold our house (sold in 2 days) and are now full timing it in our Lacrosse and loving it. Thebed is GREAT.
Relkinsa is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
318bhs