Old 10-21-2011, 07:37 PM   #1

Location: Close to North / South Carolina border and Blue Ridge Mountains
Question Making a list and checking it twice

For those that haven’t recently read grhodes50 post “How Many Of Us (Prime Time) Owners?”, we have posted that we have placed a deposit on a LaCrosse 303RKS. (Assigned as PT crewmembers #92) It took a long time making this decision, but we feel its right for us. It will be a few weeks before the TT shows up at the dealership so now we are in the throws of developing our accessories shopping list. Because this is our first TT, we are in need of some forum member’s insight.

We would like to hear from users, the “good and/or bad (pros & cons)” of the products listed here. Fire away guys and gals.

1. Portable waste tank - we are looking at a 4 wheel 32 gal model. The brands being considered are Barker, Thetforfand and Tote-N-Store.

2. Sewage hose – Rhino extreme.

3. Anti Sway Hitch – equalizer 4 point, Husky, Reese and Pullrite have made the list. We are completely ignorant about hitches. Trailer is about 7,000lbs dry. TV Ram 1500 hemi Quad, 3.92 rear end, tow package, 4x4. (Yes I know I’m on the light side)

4. Portable generator – Thinking about one Yamaha EF2000IS, then next year adding a second generator for a parallel hookup. We like to camp in State, Federal and C.O.E. campgrounds where electric/water hookup is not always available. I am also considering the Honda 2000 but right now the preference is Yamaha.

5. Bal-X-tend chocks – set of two.

6. Fantastic fan being added by dealer – will need a cover (dealer install) so the exhaust fan can operate on rainy days – any brand better than another?

7. Bottle Jack & 4 socket folding lug wrench – flat tire changing

8. Odds and ends – bubble levels, awning mat, battery cut-off switch, stabilizer feet pads, (orange stack blocks) and water hose regulator.

9. Please add any thing important that we haven’t considered.

Rustmax

Old 10-21-2011, 11:54 PM   #2

Rustymax,

Here's what I can help with...

1. Portable Waste tank - We bought the Thetford. If I had to do it all over agin I would have purchased the Barker. No matter what I do I cannot get the Thetford to drain completely. The Barker will drain completely, no problem.
2. We've had our Rhino for two years, so far no issues.
3. Anti-Sway Hitch - We use the Equilizer and it works very well, makes a little noise, but works very well.
4. Portable generator - can't help you with this one as we don't own one yet, but we're looking at the Honda 3000
5. Bal X-Tended X-Chocks - Awesome product! Will take a lot of wiggle out of your setup.
6. Fantastic Fan - we put in the Vortex and it is awesome. Also installed the MaxAir vent covers, they are well worth the money.
7. Bottle Jack and Lug Wrench... that's what we have, never had to use it though.
8. I use a 2' level on the floor of the trailer, have a battery cutoff switch, and made my own stabilizer foot pads with 2x6's. Water hose regulator is a must and a 90 degree adaptor is handy too.

Other things we have... folding chairs, gas grill, electric tongue jack, linens, silver ware, a few pots and pans, etc.

Hope this helps

2 Wilderness Systems Kayaks
Nights Spent Camping in 2011 (19), 2012 (16)
http://www.armadillotimes.com
HondoPatrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2011, 12:19 PM   #3

You might want some sort of foam pad for the mattress! or a new mattress! The standard one is pretty bad.
Old 10-22-2011, 02:38 PM   #4
Site Team

I can chime in on a couple of items on your list:
Yes to items #2, #6, & #8 for sure.

2011 Salem Cruise Lite 20RBXL & 2011 Toyota Tundra Dbl Cab
Camping History: 45 Trips / 133 Nights / 3736 Miles
FRF Social Group: Campers of the West
Terier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2011, 06:22 PM   #5

Gary - you have the same TT - what is your opinion of the mattress? Buy new or foam top. It it a full size queen?
Old 10-22-2011, 08:06 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustymax View Post
Gary - you have the same TT - what is your opinion of the mattress? Buy new or foam top. It it a full size queen?
We kept the mattress from our previous tt. We had added a foam pad (egg arton style) and a quilted mattress pad which workes for us. It's also a heated mattress.
So we never checked out the one in the LaCrosse.

Gary & Trish
"PT Crew Member Since 11/2010"
2017 Prime Time Crusader 315RST TE 6.0 : 2007 Flagstaff 206ST MAC Series
2012 F-250 Lariat : FX4 : CC : SB : 6.7L Diesel : 3/55 Gears

2017 Nights Camped - 4
grhodes50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 10:26 AM   #7

Congrats Rusty. The mattress that comes with the trailer is horrible. In our model it is also a short queen. We were able to rectify the problem with a memory foam topper. We bought ours at Sam's for $99.
Old 10-23-2011, 02:58 PM   #8

Nice choice for genny. I have the Yamaha 3000SEi and it has been great. Absolutely no issues. Just oil changes. Great on fuel consumption and quite.
Koodog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 12:53 PM   #9

Great feed back! We will definitely start looking for a memory foam Topper. I have also settled on the Barker 32 gal 4 wheel portable tk. I plan on replacing the plastic wheels with pneumatic tires from Northern Tool or Harbor Freight. Gary, your photo showing the Bal x-tended chocks sold me, I have ordered a pair from an ebay seller, at an excellent price I might add. I think the equalizer 4 point hitch will be the best choice for our needs and budget, I have read many good reviews about this product on this forum. I will also purchase the Rhino extreme sewer hose. I’m trying to purchase many of my items, even the Yamaha generator from my local RV dealership, "if" their pricing is “reasonable”. By the way; my local dealership is “Sony’s Camp and Travel” located just off I85 between Greenville and Spartanburg SC. They have been around for a long time but and just recently joined the PT Mfg team. If you’re looking for a Prime Time trailer, even for those living in Asheville or Henderson NC area, be sure to check them out - low pressure sales, family owned, good pricing, and very willing to work with you. Justin was my salesperson.

The miscellaneous item such as folding chairs, gas grill and such, have been accumulated items from our popup days. But we intend to diffidently “pimp out” our TT with lights, awning rug and other must have items.

When I (we) purchased the 303RKS I was able to negotiate a great deal to add a fantastic fan, double battery setup and 2 topper awnings. I will have the dealer also install the fan hood when they install the exhaust fan.

Side bar; I am thinking of making 2 modification to the under belly of the TT for storage of the waste tank and a folding step ladder. I haven’t thought it out completely but I think a metal "bolt on" strap design. Aluminum or galvanized steel might work; one storage system to accommodate the portable tank and the second to store the ladder. Heavy rubber straps or bungee cords would prevent load shifting during transport. Must keep it simple, easy to use, install and safe to use. If any forum members are aware of mods such as what I am planning, point me in a direction where I can learn more about them.

Thanks for the support,

Rustymax
Old 10-24-2011, 04:55 PM   #10

Side bar; I am thinking of making 2 modification to the under belly of the TT for storage of the waste tank and a folding step ladder. I haven’t thought it out completely but I think a metal "bolt on" strap design. Aluminum or galvanized steel might work; one storage system to accommodate the portable tank and the second to store the ladder. Heavy rubber straps or bungee cords would prevent load shifting during transport. Must keep it simple, easy to use, install and safe to use. If any forum members are aware of mods such as what I am planning, point me in a direction where I can learn more about them.

My DH had a bracket fabricated for our "blue boy" and it stores underneath. We use bungee cords to prevent load shift. Works like a charm. Send me a PM if you'd like his input/ideas.

trudinator is offline   Reply With Quote