Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-08-2014, 12:08 AM   #1

Manual Slide Operation 290RLT Crusader

Could someone please describe how to operate the slides manually on this model Crusader? I know that the bedroom slide is different so mainly concerned with the frig and dinette slides. Just trying to be prepared and informed. Thanks
portliz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2014, 01:12 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

You should have a manual crank that will fit on a slide drive gearbox shaft that extends out through the frame...shaft on street side will drive the curb side slide...opposite for the street side slide.

Dave

Nights camped in 2013 - 55, 2014 - 105, 2015 - 63
Dave_Monica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2014, 04:00 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_Monica View Post
You should have a manual crank that will fit on a slide drive gearbox shaft that extends out through the frame...shaft on street side will drive the curb side slide...opposite for the street side slide.

Dave
x'2 Dave is correct, and also Dave how you been my old friend? Dave IMO is the smartest man on weights on this forum. What he say's you can take to the bank.

Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2014, 08:36 AM   #4

Except in this case. There is a cover screwed below each rear slide motor. It is the same material as the whole bottom cover.

You need to take it off and go under there with an electric drill. You need to crank the back of the motor to manually operate these slides. You need a 3/8 Socket drive to get the cover off and a 3/4 socket to operate the slides.

For the record this is something I wish I didn't know.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
rscconrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2014, 09:00 AM   #5

Where are the slide motors located? Under the slide? Near the front or rear of slide? Right or left side? Thanks for the info so far. DH not mechanically inclined in the least. Lucky me!!!!
Old 11-08-2014, 09:10 AM   #6

Not far behind the rear axle. I have a 2014. You have to do it from under my unit. In mine there are three cut outs. Two for the motors and the controller.

Old 11-09-2014, 01:10 AM   #7

290rlt slides

rscconrad, thanks for the good info. I have the 2013 290RLT and have been dreading the day when my slides don't work. Now I know what to do.
Can you provide the same info on how to manually operate the bedroom closet slide on this unit? Thanks
Old 11-09-2014, 11:57 AM   #8

Sorry still not sure. Are the cut outs under the slides or under the bottom of the trailer?
Old 11-09-2014, 12:32 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by rscconrad View Post
Except in this case. There is a cover screwed below each rear slide motor. It is the same material as the whole bottom cover.

You need to take it off and go under there with an electric drill. You need to crank the back of the motor to manually operate these slides. You need a 3/8 Socket drive to get the cover off and a 3/4 socket to operate the slides.

For the record this is something I wish I didn't know.

Good to know the Prime Time employs a improved method of manually retracting the slides than most other manufacturers.

Dave

Nights camped in 2013 - 55, 2014 - 105, 2015 - 63
Dave_Monica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2014, 02:53 PM   #10
Site Team

access to slide motors

On my PT Lacrosse/ dont know if the Crusader is the same or not.
But these 2 units share some of the same similarities.
Access to one slide out motor has a corrugated plastic cover and one does not.
I lowered my underbelly to look for the motor and found it. Be advised, I have wires and ducking just laying on top of the underbelly material.
Next season Im going to lower the underbelly and tidy things up and cut the 2nd access and make a cover.

Personally, I like the slide motors you can get at thru the frame instead of laying on the ground and undoing the underbelly and /or cover.

Zelda the campin dog
Platokidd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2014, 11:07 AM   #11

So you get to the motors through the underbelly , not under the slide. How convenient!!! Fingers crossed we never have to find out.
Old 11-10-2014, 11:16 AM   #12

Crusaderguy,

No clue how to manually operate the bedroom slide on a 290. Thankfully I have not had to do that one.

For what its worth in getting my slide problem fixed under warranty (break in the ground wire somewhere between the grounding bar and the switch which required pulling a new ground wire to the switch), I asked for the two holes in the side to be drilled into the unit to operate the slides manually. This is how the owners manual states to operate them manually. I said they were missing and must have been forgotten in the build.

My request was denied and I was given written instructions on how to manually work the rear slides on my unit and told they were not missed in the build.

Its not mentioned how to do that anywhere in writing that I could find.

Robert
Old 11-10-2014, 06:43 PM   #13
ttg

A Crusader 334 slide

I don't know if the components are the same on other models but we had a problem with our 2014 Crusader 334CKT bedroom slide (at the front of the trailer) when without notice and away from home the slide stopped working in the closed position.

Luckily we saw a large dealership at the side of the highway and fortunately for us they were willing to go to work to fix it and they had the motor that was required in stock. The trailer was taken partially apart inside and out to install the new motor. About 2 hours later we were on our way. I observed the repair but I'm not certain that I would be able to do this repair myself.

When I got home I placed a call to Prime Time and talked to their technician because I wanted to know where to use the crank to manually operate this slide the next time it happens.
Simply, the answer is that this slide can not be operated manually. If the slide malfunctions while in the out position, given enough force it can possibly be closed by pushing on it.

The problem was with a ground wire on the motor that didn't appear to be soldered properly. I'm hoping that the motor on the other side of this slide is in better condition.
ttg is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
290rlt, crusader, manual, slide