Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-17-2015, 10:43 AM   #1

Mobile repair vs Dealer???

I decided to start a new thread, just so it gets read faster. for those reading my issues with my slide trim and my OCD going in full effect, i have decided to let my dealer fix the bottom trim this way i know its done and done right.. I also have a local mobile rv repair guy that will come over my house and give a free estimate. I am assuming that they will be cheaper then bringing the camper to a dealer.
Are the mobile guys in business usually just as good as dealers techs? when I called his office his wife advised me that he used to work for this dealer where my camper is going and decided to go in business for himself.. unfortuntly, its hard to research his work...no websites at all... anyways, am i better off with mobile repair?
yankeeslover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2015, 11:30 AM   #2

Send a message via Skype™ to chuckw5kav
We have one mobile repair person that has better ratings than
80 percent of the dealers and repair shop's in SW Washington
state.

Others seem to come and go but this one gentleman just keeps
building his business year after year and he is cheaper than most
repair places from what I have been told and the comments I
have read about him.

We are lucky the repair place we use is only 8 miles away, they
are not cheap but the work they do is excellent and they back
up 100% of what they do. We have taken our class C and our
5th wheel to them for all our service work.
W5KAV
Last years Camping 125 days
This years Camping 150 an still going
chuckw5kav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2015, 11:57 AM   #3

I am sure it is like anything else some are better that others on both sides. I assume that the mobile tech is higher since he comes to you ? But the dealer may have equipment that the tech does not.............

Roll the dice unless you know their work.......

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
2017 Wildwood Lodge 4092 BFL
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Lillie Spoiled Rotten Boxer Mix
Oaklevel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2015, 12:11 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

My only experience with a mobile repair guy was by a friend who bought an older trailer and needed a new linoleum floor and awning.
The mobile guy did an amazing job at about half what the dealer wanted to charge. So I have his name and number on my list in case I come across something I can't handle.
If you call him, ask him for references...the good ones should have lots of pleased customers.
8-year Travel Trailer RVers
2013 Forest River Rockwood Ultra-Lite 2904SS
2014 Toyota Tundra Maxcrew SR-5 TRD 4x4 (with Firestone airbags in the rear)
ColoradoRick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2015, 12:15 PM   #5

Mobile guy coming tomorrow

Now I just pray he uses the correct sealant/butyl tape... OCD really sucks... That trim from my last threads kept me up all night worrying that camping season is over before it begins. People laugh but unfortunately that's how I think, hence why I want professional to fix it so I don't worry.
Old 04-17-2015, 12:31 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by yankeeslover View Post
Now I just pray he uses the correct sealant/butyl tape... OCD really sucks... That trim from my last threads kept me up all night worrying that camping season is over before it begins. People laugh but unfortunately that's how I think, hence why I want professional to fix it so I don't worry.
Well, it's your RV so nothing wrong with asking questions...and you will learn stuff!!
Old 04-17-2015, 01:09 PM   #7
B47

I'm starting to see "OCD" used here. It's a new term to me at least and a search produced no answer.

So what does "OCD" stand for?
B47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2015, 01:15 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by B47 View Post
I'm starting to see "OCD" used here. It's a new term to me at least and a search produced no answer.

So what does "OCD" stand for?
LOL..Obsessive Compulsive Disorder. (I'm an engineer and find that most of us have this to various degrees, I have it in certain areas
Old 04-17-2015, 01:15 PM   #9

Obsessive Compulsive Disorder. It is a curse.

Bob and Joyce
2013 CC Silverback 29RL
2010 Ford F250 XL Crew Cab 6.4 liter diesel
ATU Local 788
Oakman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2015, 01:25 PM   #10
B47

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColoradoRick View Post
LOL..Obsessive Compulsive Disorder. (I'm an engineer and find that most of us have this to various degrees, I have it in certain areas
Thanks - I'll be on the outlook for it. What are the symptoms?
Old 04-17-2015, 01:26 PM   #11

In my situation

I always worry about everything and anything... i think of the worse case scenerios all the time.. For example with this strip.. I purchased this camper two years ago. I have 11 more years till its paid off.. unfortuntly my credit took a dive in the past year and my finances have suffered.. what this means is i dont have any extra cash to fix a major job... So pertaining to the camper, i constantly look for issues that maybe i shouldnt be looking for and when i find them i freak out.. Like this.. in my mind, now this camper is junk and im worried it wont last the next 10 years because of that strip and because of the darco tape strip being frayed...
Most people would not sweat it and fix it... but not me.. I lose sleep at night worrying about the little things.. The one good thing i guess that comes out of this, is that i seem to be on top of things.. hopefully i catch stuff early before its a big bill... I am the only one i know in my seasonal campground that EVER goes on roof with dicor.. and i do it twice per summer.. my buddies owned there 5th wheel for 5 years and not once have they gone up to check seals..so i guess with my OCD it helps me find stuff before its an issue, hopefully that saved me here with this strip and this mobile tech tomorrow will seal it right... maybe if i didnt have ocd i would not have noticed that and i would have let that go for 2-3 years..never know.. im just extremly concerend though about if any water got to that fiberglass backing last summer.. I close slide during week when im not at camp so doesnt see too many days of rain, plus i think my slide topper which extends about 4 inches over the side may block SOME rain that comes down..but still.. thats what OCD does.. it makes me worried sick that my camper is junk now.. and i will forever worry about that corner... i 100% will be checking inside the slide now after every rain and freaking if its wet... LOL...
Old 04-17-2015, 01:38 PM   #12
B47

Yankeeslover - wow what a post. I think I may have a slight case of OCD,but nothing like yours.

By slight, I mean sometimes after leaving the house,I wonder if I closed the garage door. I have turned around just to go back and check and always find I did close the door.
Old 04-17-2015, 01:45 PM   #13

another symptom... I decided to go mobile tech instead of dealer.. now i will always question that decision.... if i went with dealer, i would always question if i should have gone mobile tech...its constant worrying... in all seriousness, i just hope he can get that bottom luan sealed up...im not concerened to much about the darco tape, i will put gorila tape over the exposed screw head that the darco covered... and i would have to think PT would seal the threads anyways on that bottom screws in the slide bottom... but who knows..
Old 04-17-2015, 01:54 PM   #14
B47

Quote:
Originally Posted by yankeeslover View Post
another symptom... I decided to go mobile tech instead of dealer.. now i will always question that decision.... if i went with dealer, i would always question if i should have gone mobile tech...its constant worrying... in all seriousness, i just hope he can get that bottom luan sealed up...im not concerened to much about the darco tape, i will put gorila tape over the exposed screw head that the darco covered... and i would have to think PT would seal the threads anyways on that bottom screws in the slide bottom... but who knows..
You must be a walking nervous wreck around tax filing time - wondering if you did it correctly- including submitting all receipts,signing,etc.
Old 04-17-2015, 02:06 PM   #15
Moderator Emeritus

Being a germophobe is a common OCD...since I work with engineers we have no less than 3 bottles of hand sanitizers always (I counted 6 once) and if anyone has a cold out come the stinky sanitizing wipes.
Basically, OCD is an obsession and compulsion that can be mild or bordering on psychotic. My friend in church is an insurance adjuster and has visited homes where people were mega-hoarders and, wow, those people really need help. (Many won't even throw away their trash.)
My OCDs are probably mostly based on my 22 years in the military...I can have NO wrinkles on my clothes and if I'm not 15-minutes early for a meeting or work, I consider myself late. (And even though I've been retired for almost 11 years, I still have a military haircut...I tried to have it longer and even tried growing a beard/goatee...nope!) :-)
Old 04-17-2015, 02:20 PM   #16

Mobile Techs in business for themselves are not being hounded constantly with hurry up and get it done by a service manager. That only leads to mistakes. these guy's have their personal reputations on the line. I would use one in a heart beat. On the subject of OCD. I have it as well. Having been a Chief officer in the fire service if you don't have it to some degree you get Firefighters killed. Curse or blessing?
2018 F250 Lariat (ok but I miss my F150)

Getting old ain't for wimps!!!
Stormrider151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2015, 02:23 PM   #17

It sounds like OCD if your losing sleep over a problem. I don't have OCD but I like my stuff to be up to top notch, but that doesn't make me lose sleep. I have worked hard for what I own and proud of it. Just step back and take a breath or have a drink if you do. Things work out for the best/ I do believe in Karma. Is the glass 1/2 full or 1/2 empty to me it's 1/2 empty.......PS: I quite worring about what my neighbor does a long time ago. It didn't do any good, Do what you think is best. And your right to check for leaks, it called maintenance and your not lazy like your neighbor. What was it called 20 years ago? A person who took care of what they own.

Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2015, 02:26 PM   #18

Although fairly new to Forest River products ... I've been RVing for over 20 years. You have way better luck with dealer service techs than I ever had. I'd rather roll in crushed glass than take my fiver back in to a dealer unless there's no other option. If you have the ability ... fix it yourself and you won't be disappointed.
dieselguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2015, 02:49 PM   #19

Stormrider151, I also was a chief officer and my men always came first. My last day I had supper at my old station and my wife picked me up afterwards. While walking from the house to the truck it felt like 500 lbs lifted off my back. Still miss the job, the adrenalin rush and the people I worked with, after going on 13 years of retirement. Stay safe Now back to regular scheduled programming.
Pipeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2015, 03:01 PM   #20
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by dieselguy View Post
Although fairly new to Forest River products ... I've been RVing for over 20 years. You have way better luck with dealer service techs than I ever had. I'd rather roll in crushed glass than take my fiver back in to a dealer unless there's no other option. If you have the ability ... fix it yourself and you won't be disappointed.
That's so true...I've always loved doing handyman stuff and find my carpentry, plumbing, electrical, and mechanical skills do come in very handy. (Saving me money and also peace of mind knowing something was done right.)

There's even a Handyman monthly magazine that I subscribed to for years that's a great way to learn things. (And, these days, just about every problem known to man can be found fixed on a Youtube video!!)

Tags
dealer, repair