Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-06-2015, 06:28 AM   #41

I had heard that if it started fading before the 2 year mark of sale they would cover it. After 2 years it's on you! Not sure if that's there hard and fast rule or what though?
Todouble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2015, 08:36 AM   #42
Toy-aholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by tstillman View Post
I have to challenge your opinion about the approach. When manufacturer claimed the damage fell under the clause "all surface damage caused by environmental effects voids the warranty".

Just what approach would you use to challenge that claim.
I was never told that, I simply approached a rep @ a local RV show & explained what was going on....he agreed it should not happen @ 16 mos. old. He told me he would pull some strings & see what he could do. It took numerous phone calls but I got the repaint......I never blasted anyone...that's the approach I was speaking of.
Old 12-06-2015, 08:54 AM   #43

I'm glad you had a company rep that stood behind you. At 16 months in, I was told I was lucky it lasted that long. But sorry you're on your own. (From the company). My dealer did what he could but was stone walled too. I'm just glad not everyone has had to deal with Oregon factory folks.

Tom Stillman
Vancouver, WA
2012 Forest River Wildcat Sterling Edition
2010 Ford F350 Super cab (With all the junk taken off) With H&S tuner and set of bags on the back.
tstillman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2015, 06:30 PM   #44

I had zero issues getting my rig dealt with. I feel extremely fortunate, my dealer is just outstanding. Rick simply asked that I bring the rig into the dealer so that they could take pictures and submit the claim. I took them myself and forwarded them to the dealer. Within 24 hours I was authorized. Initially they were going to only authorize the repair up to a particular amount, which my dealer ensured me they could get the painting done with. However; that would not have included the decals. I then reached back out to PT and the decals were sent free of charge.

I do actually believe the approach has something to do with the results. I think PT has latitude in how they deal with these issues. It's obvious that in the case of this fading out they are handling each case individually. That's not to say it is right or wrong.

I did report the issue the very first time I saw it, last winter. I then followed their requests of first trying to wash/wax it etc. I took pictures all throughout the process and sent them all as part of the claim.

1 Fantastic DW
1 Amazing DD
1 Beagle that will be missed (RIP Zeus)
another_newfie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2015, 08:34 PM   #45

I did the same trying to work through the problem via my dealer. He stood by us until Forest River shut the door on negotiations.

At no time did I approach this resolution showing aggression or to place blame of poor workmanship.

I really believe that given a chance to do the right thing, a good company will step up. I have since learned that's not always the case. I won't change my approach because I've been proven right more often than not, and I can live with that.

Tom Stillman
Vancouver, WA
2010 Ford F350 Super cab (With all the junk taken off) With H&S tuner and set of bags on the back.
Old 12-08-2015, 02:56 AM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by tstillman View Post
I have to challenge your opinion about the approach. When manufacturer claimed the damage fell under the clause "all surface damage caused by environmental effects voids the warranty".

Just what approach would you use to challenge that claim.

Although you are posting in the prime time area your rig is not prime time so that accounts for the different warranty approach. Most who have dealt with prime time directly are getting this covered within a certain number of years. Considering there is a 1 year warranty I think they are extending within reason but that is no comfort to those who fall outside the coverage window.

2014 295rst champ te
2009 2500hd GMC d/a
Old 12-08-2015, 11:19 AM   #47

Understood, I thought I was on the Forest River users group.

Again I'm happy to know that somewhere in this industry quality customer support exist.

Happy Holiday to all. I'll slip out the backdoor of this thread.

Tom Stillman
Vancouver, WA
Old 12-09-2015, 01:38 PM   #48

It is a shame that FR doesn't always take care of this, ran into a neighbor camping they have a 2012 and at the Frog event FR agreed to replace their entire nose while they were there even paid one night for a hotel? I guess it depends on who you talk to and what mood they are in.

2014 F150 FX4 Crew 4X4 EB
2015 Roo 23IKSS

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
Old 12-13-2015, 09:27 AM   #49

So I got my rig back yesterday and it was painted but not how I thought it was going to be done nor how the service advisor explained it to be done either. They just masked off my old decal and painted the hole front cap all around it. Is this how everyone else got there front cap painted under warranty? I was told they would remove old decal and paint, clear coat, then install a new graphic??
Old 12-13-2015, 09:31 AM   #50
Toy-aholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Todouble View Post
So I got my rig back yesterday and it was painted but not how I thought it was going to be done nor how the service advisor explained it to be done either. They just masked off my old decal and painted the hole front cap all around it. Is this how everyone else got there front cap painted under warranty? I was told they would remove old decal and paint, clear coat, then install a new graphic??
Ekk gads no way! My old decals removed, repainted (single stage) & new decals. I wasn't happy about the single stage but beggars can't be choosers. Still looks a ton better than before.
Old 12-13-2015, 10:12 AM   #51

I didn't think masking it off was correct. Thanks for confirming
Old 12-13-2015, 01:11 PM   #52

Quote:

NOT the right way that's for sure! Eventually, the paint may start to peel & lift around the edge of the decal because you can never sand close enough to the decals to get proper adhesion. I would go on record with your dealer that you're not happy.
rracer5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2015, 01:30 PM   #53

That is most definitely wrong and in the long run will cause more issues than you can shake a stick at.

I will pick up my rig in 2 weeks, if they tried that on me I'd not tolerate it.

1 Fantastic DW
1 Amazing DD
Old 12-13-2015, 08:32 PM   #54

Great! Can't wait to battle it out some more with my dealer. I'll keep you posted.
Old 12-14-2015, 11:12 AM   #55

Quote:
I had heard that if it started fading before the 2 year mark of sale they would cover it. After 2 years it's on you! Not sure if that's there hard and fast rule or what though?
That is horrible, I was just looking at a 2013 290RLT which has the faded cap and when I told the dealer it was a deal breaker, and they said all they would do is compound it, but would not even consider fixing it. I am not sure what it would cost on your own to replace or repair the cap and then get all the decals but I would assume that would cost several thousand dollars?
Old 12-16-2015, 10:15 PM   #56

I pick up my rig in the morning. I was told by my dealer that the decals are not a match for what they took off, but they think they will look OK. If I am not pleased I'll remove them or some of them to make it look the way I want. I did ask if it was completely painted and they confirmed it was. We will see.

1 Fantastic DW
1 Amazing DD
Old 12-17-2015, 07:26 AM   #57

Probably the set for the white trailer with brown cap. That's what I got and they look fine.

2014 295rst champ te
2009 2500hd GMC d/a
Old 12-17-2015, 02:54 PM   #58

Picked up the rig this morning and overall I am pleased. The paint job is reasonably good. They didn't do as quite a neat of a job of masking around the edge of the cap as I would like. There is bleed into the caulking etc. Not overly bad though. The actual paint job itself seems good.

PT didn't send an exact match set of decals compared to those that were removed. My dealer did a good job of installing what was sent. They were forced to cut some slits out of them to make them adhere properly around the curved parts of the cap and I think they did OK. Considering this did not cost me one cent I cannot really complain, especially since my rig is 2.5 years old.

It took quite a bit of legwork on my part between PT and my dealer to make this all happen but not once was I under the impression that PT wasn't going to stand behind their product.

This is now in the rearview. Time to get camping, we are heading to our annual NYE trip a few days early. Sadly there will be no snow to camp in, but the unseasonably warm weather will be a nice treat.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20151217_102244.jpg
Views:	191
Size:	216.5 KB
ID:	96344   Click image for larger version

Name:	20151217_114535.jpg
Views:	146
Size:	187.4 KB
ID:	96345  

1 Fantastic DW
1 Amazing DD
Old 12-17-2015, 05:47 PM   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by another_newfie View Post
Picked up the rig this morning and overall I am pleased. The paint job is reasonably good. They didn't do as quite a neat of a job of masking around the edge of the cap as I would like. There is bleed into the caulking etc. Not overly bad though. The actual paint job itself seems good.

PT didn't send an exact match set of decals compared to those that were removed. My dealer did a good job of installing what was sent. They were forced to cut some slits out of them to make them adhere properly around the curved parts of the cap and I think they did OK. Considering this did not cost me one cent I cannot really complain, especially since my rig is 2.5 years old.

It took quite a bit of legwork on my part between PT and my dealer to make this all happen but not once was I under the impression that PT wasn't going to stand behind their product.

This is now in the rearview. Time to get camping, we are heading to our annual NYE trip a few days early. Sadly there will be no snow to camp in, but the unseasonably warm weather will be a nice treat.

rracer5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2015, 05:51 PM   #60
Toy-aholic

I wasn't overly pleased with how mine came out, as I'm very picky with body work/ paint finishes but......it looks a ton better than it did before & it only cost me about 1/2 tank of fuel with drop off/ pick up so yes I'm satisfied.....got 4 coats of wax by the end of this season & now covered.

Tags
crusader