Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-25-2012, 09:27 PM   #21
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by amxpress View Post
For those of you that are new to 5th wheel hitching, take the time to watch this short video. If you follow these steps, you won't have the problem of dropping your fiver on your bed. Even if you are an old pro, or young pro, this is a good video.
I camped next to him at Gettysburg this month! Nice guy.
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 10:04 PM   #22

I did it at Camping World in Anaheim Calif. Had just had them install a new awning and was hooking up to pull the trailer out of their service bay. My friend was watching the hitch and said I was good to go, so I went, or should I say the truck went and the trailer stayed...I was going very slow so there wasnt very much damage to the bed rails and I left the scrapes there as a reminder from then on to trust no one else but me.
bumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 07:18 AM   #23

Herk/Amxpress, I must have watched that video 50 times over the winter. Turbo.....check that video out.....I think we put our stab. jack covers in upside down........... The door should open downward..............( see stab. cover forum )
Crusader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 07:36 AM   #24
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crusader View Post
Herk/Amxpress, I must have watched that video 50 times over the winter. Turbo.....check that video out.....I think we put our stab. jack covers in upside down........... The door should open downward..............( see stab. cover forum )
My stab cover opens downward, but it is not a waterproof door so I doubt it matters. It's job is to keep water from running into the switch body.
Old 04-26-2012, 07:57 AM   #25

I too knocked mine off the blocks last year and dropped it on the bed. I had 6 x 6's under the landing gear, but no chocks behind the tires. As I was pushing under the king pin I managed pushed the trailer off the blocks. It dropped the 6" and just barely made contact with the bed rails. The incident left a small crease on both sides of the bed. Fortunately, there was a metal strip on the camper where the cap joined the body. It took the full brunt of the impact and did not crack the fiberglass on the cap. If I didn't show you, it would be hard to spot the damage on the truck or the metal strip.

But it did teach me a lesson! I do not use blocks under my front jacks now, I bought a 10 foot 2 x 12 for the jack pads to rest on at home, and I make sure the king pin is high enough to easily slide into the hitch. I am thankful the damage was minimal, to both the trailer and truck bed.
Old 04-26-2012, 08:00 AM   #26
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crusader View Post
My cover was factory mounted that way but had I did it myself I still would have mounted it with the cover lifting up.
for fear it would fall open and someone would walk by and accidentally knock it off.
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 08:42 AM   #27

Never dropped the 5er on the truck, but almost tore my tailgate off my previous truck with previous 5er. I thought about it at the last second and stopped just as the pin bumped the inside of the tailgate. Put a tiny dent on the inside panel of the tailgate.
Old 04-26-2012, 08:48 AM   #28

Smile

I keep this as a reminder, more then a scratch.
http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c2...d/IMG_0743.jpg

http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c2...d/IMG_0744.jpg

I didn't mention in my original post that there was no damage to the front of the 5th wheel. Lucked out there.

<a href=https://www.forestriverforums.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic9630_4.gif target=_blank>https://www.forestriverforums.com/att...gpic9630_4.gif</a>
Itsthetwoofus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 08:56 AM   #29

I saw this happen at an archery shoot I was participating in a few years ago. There were several people boondocking and as the shoot was winding down, people started to leave. I was sitting in the shade drinking a bottle of water and had watched this guy back under his 5'er and get everything all squared away to head out. He and his family loaded up and pulled the 5'er at least 60 yards before it fell on his bed. Made a heck of a racket and got everyone's attention.
mrmurph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 06:27 PM   #30

I have towed a 5th wheel for almost 10 years with no accidents. However, I found an inexpensive latch for a 5th wheel which I am considering. Website is :
http://www.butchsservices.com/5605R.html. Looks like good insurance.
Herms1960 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 07:17 PM   #31

I do the same thing as Turbo when driving the tractors at work. We back under the trailer, wait for the clicking sound of the hitch, then before doing anything else we pull forward on the trailer and make sure that it is latched. If it passes this test we then hook all the air lines and electrical lines up and raise the landing gear and leave.
2012 reserved/camped (17/4)

RonLynnJr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 07:42 PM   #32

Yep, I always make sure they pass the Tug Test now!
bumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 07:45 PM   #33
Mod free 5er

Herms1960, you just gave me the next mod I will be making tomorrow afternoon or Sat. I have the tubing and a spare crow bar that will work perfectly.
Old 04-26-2012, 08:40 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herms1960 View Post
I have towed a 5th wheel for almost 10 years with no accidents. However, I found an inexpensive latch for a 5th wheel which I am considering. Website is :
WOW........thats me......I'M in........
Crusader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 01:17 AM   #35

Had some good advice from Dave & Monica here that is now part of our pre-roll checklist.....

On hook up, after closing the jaws on the 16K Reese Slider, I raise the landing gear about 1.5" and with the trailer brakes on, pull forward, then release brakes and roll a few inches forward. I also like to back up slightly, too.

That way, if the jaws are not locked, the trailer will drop back onto the landing gear rather than my truck bed!

2012 Crusader 290RLT TE, TrailAir flex pin: 2012 Toyota Tundra 5.7 SR5 Dbl cab 4X2 Tow, 4.30 gears, RideRite air, TRD cold-air induction & dual exhaust: Reese 16K Slider: TST tpms
Miles towed to date: 26,890; Nights camped; lost count!
J_KHawthorne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 07:00 AM   #36
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herms1960 View Post
I bought the last Pullrite Latch Kit.
He will have more in two weeks, he said.

I have no room in the bed for a Blue Ox since it moves with the hitch head.
Old 04-27-2012, 07:06 AM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Itsthetwoofus View Post
I keep this as a reminder, more then a scratch.
http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c2...d/IMG_0743.jpg

http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c2...d/IMG_0744.jpg

I didn't mention in my original post that there was no damage to the front of the 5th wheel. Lucked out there.
Sorry to hear about your mishap. I think the way your “drop” happened is a time when we are all the most susceptible to making a mistake. You’ve arrived at the RV site, unhitched and started the setup procedure and then realize the rig needs to be moved just a bit.

That had to make you sick to your stomach to see the damage to that big beautiful Ford you own. Thanks for sharing the photos.

Bob and Joyce
2013 CC Silverback 29RL
2010 Ford F250 XL Crew Cab 6.4 liter diesel
ATU Local 788
Oakman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 04:03 PM   #38
290RLT with 06 Ram Diesel

Dropped!

Yep, dropped mine. New to fith wheel and bought a new Crusader 290RLT last fall. Dropped it on our third outing. We have a Reese 16K slider with the jaws.....it was raining and wife was spotting and we were kinda in a hurry because the bad weather. We had the jaws inplace but the little latch that locks the bar for the jaws was not "flipped over" and locked. When I pulled away............bang! My support legs were all the way up so the rv landed fully on the side rails. But........good news.........the side rails on my 2006 Dodge ram saved my a--! Also the quality construction of the Crusader..........only a slight scratch and crease (1/64in) on the truck and absolutely NO damage or even marks to the RV! Whew......there is an RV God that watches over the complacent and stupid. My brother had a new 5th wheel also and was watching all this.......He now claims to be an only child.
Lessons learned:
- Checklist, checklist, checklist, checklist!
- All the lessons learned (latch, raise legs 1\2in, pull check, etc) are in the checklist.
AeroScout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 04:28 PM   #39
Mod free 5er

Didn't get to make the safety latch today due to straightening up the new landing leg installation and the factory using a 5/8" inside dim square tube on a 1/2" dia shaft which lets the tubing flop around which I corrected after machining a bushing. Oh well, that's what keeps old retired folks busy.
Old 04-27-2012, 05:41 PM   #40

One of my fears alos is dropping the unit on the truck. I'm not saying this is a fix but our Hi-jacker has no jaws. When the bar slide in front of the pin your good to go. That said with out a routine anyting is possible. Note the link.
Hijacker 5th Wheel Hitches » Auto Slide 18K

Note that this is not our set up exactly but it was the one that best shows the bar slide.
Hijacker double pivot slider
hatstomper is offline   Reply With Quote