Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-27-2012, 06:04 PM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by herk7769 View Post
I bought the last Pullrite Latch Kit.
He will have more in two weeks, he said.

I have no room in the bed for a Blue Ox since it moves with the hitch head.
Herk..........you called the vender just before I did....he told me that he just sold the last one about two minutes befor my call....gess I should not have had breakfast first.......... Let me know what you think of the latch. I think that I am going to weld it on instead of bolting.
Crusader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 06:09 PM   #42
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crusader View Post
Herk..........you called the vendor just before I did....he told me that he just sold the last one about two minutes before my call....gess I should not have had breakfast first.......... Let me know what you think of the latch. I think that I am going to weld it on instead of bolting.
I can drill a hole. I have NO idea how to weld.
Will welding do anything to the steel of the hitch head?

(Oh, grass don't grow on a busy street. I saw the benefit of that safety latch immediately. )
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 06:18 PM   #43

(Oh, grass don't grow on a busy street. I saw the benefit of that safety latch immediately. )[/QUOTE]
I was waiting for that reply !!!!! I don't weld myself. I have to check into the steel and welding on it first. Just think the bolt heads may gouge the under side of the trailer hitch plate, if the two make contact.
Crusader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 06:21 PM   #44
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by herk7769 View Post
(Oh, grass don't grow on a busy street. I saw the benefit of that safety latch immediately. )
Welding that far from any latching mechanisms should not hurt anything. Just requires removing the powder coating before welding. Mig welding machines hate rust, paint and especially powder coating.

Herk, I used that saying on my dad one time, his response was, and I quote: "Grass doesn't grow on a busy street, OR in concrete" Never said that to him again.
Old 04-27-2012, 06:28 PM   #45

Ordered mine on the website when I got home from work!
Herms1960 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 06:30 PM   #46
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunnnc View Post
Welding that far from any latching mechanisms should not hurt anything. Just requires removing the powder coating before welding. Mig welding machines hate rust, paint and especially powder coating.

Herk, I used that saying on my dad one time, his response was, and I quote: "Grass doesn't grow on a busy street, OR in concrete" Never said that to him again.
Was he talking about your hair?
Old 04-27-2012, 06:34 PM   #47
Mod free 5er

Nope, had a full head of hair then. I think it might of had something to do with being able to penetrate something or other, just not sure.
Old 04-27-2012, 06:38 PM   #48
Site Team - Lou

My dad was talking about my hair.
I got my hair from my maternal grandfather.
Bummer
Old 04-27-2012, 06:45 PM   #49
Mod free 5er

If I got my hair from anyone, I lost it shortly after reaching 40 and I haven't found it yet, 32yrs later.
My paternal grandfather died at 98 with a full head of hair. Never knew my maternal GF.
Old 04-27-2012, 06:52 PM   #50
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunnnc View Post
If I got my hair from anyone, I lost it shortly after reaching 40 and I haven't found it yet, 32yrs later.
My paternal grandfather died at 98 with a full head of hair. Never knew my maternal GF.
The MPB gene comes from your maternal grandfather as I understand the genetics of it.

http://www.webmd.com/skin-problems-a...aldness-on-mom
Old 04-27-2012, 10:08 PM   #51

It is actually a little surprising just how many people have dropped their fifth wheel on the truck box!
Makes me extra glad to have a hitch that is foolproof.
crocus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 10:18 PM   #52
Mod free 5er

What is the brand and model of this "foolproof" hitch?
Old 04-27-2012, 10:44 PM   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by crocus View Post
It is actually a little surprising just how many people have dropped their fifth wheel on the truck box!

He is talking about a draw bar style that has the rectangular bar that slides behind the pin. Sorry to say they are not foolproof I had one that the rack and pinion had broke loose and slowly slide back every time I would make a right turn. good thing I heard a clunk once in awhile I pulled over and the bar was already 1/2 open I ended up wedgeing a 2 X 4 block behind bar to keep it closed and slowly drove home stopping every so many miles to ckeck the block. Made it home safe and sound I ended up making a new gear shaft with a heaver gear and it lasted until I sold it with my Fifth wheel Flatbed trailer in 1996.

2001 Ford F-350 DRW 7.3
2011 25 RL Wildcat
former fiver 1976 Fourwinds had for 35 years
onetonford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 10:48 PM   #54

DSP hitch, made in Western Canada.
Western Canada has a history of innovation in the design and manufacture of all types of machinery, from the energy industry to some of the most advanced agricultural implements.
Old 04-27-2012, 10:52 PM   #55

onetonford, did you forget to lock your hitch?
Mine has no 'rack and pinion', not sure what that would be used for.
My DSP is spring loaded, and when I back into the king pin, that sucker slams shut like a bear trap. There is no way for it to slide open as yours seems to have done, but just to be sure, there is a locking pin.
Like I said, it is foolproof.
Old 04-27-2012, 11:11 PM   #56

The Mechanics of mine are different but the same weak link on mine is a rack gear that had too small of shaft that the lock handle is mounted to. IfI don't forget I have a Old hitch that is the same I will take a picture and show where it has a Rack & pinion system for locking I see that yours is different in locking mechaism. Which I like better. But the one I have in My Truck is going to have to stay for now It is also older but it has the two cams that lock around the Pin but are off center so the more you pull aganist the jaws the tighter it closes also locks by direct linkage to the front of the cams so it would have to break apart before it would let go. Once you put the lock on it won't go anywhere.

2001 Ford F-350 DRW 7.3
2011 25 RL Wildcat
Old 04-27-2012, 11:13 PM   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by crocus View Post
Well, if there's one thing I've learned in this 'ole world it's that everything that's "foolproof" just hasn't met a fool stubborn enough, stupid enough, bull-headed enough, or just plain ornery enough to remove the "proof"...

and that of course, leaves only the fool...

2012 Crusader 290RLT TE, TrailAir flex pin: 2012 Toyota Tundra 5.7 SR5 Dbl cab 4X2 Tow, 4.30 gears, RideRite air, TRD cold-air induction & dual exhaust: Reese 16K Slider: TST tpms
Miles towed to date: 26,890; Nights camped; lost count!
J_KHawthorne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 11:23 PM   #58
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by J_KHawthorne View Post
Well, if there's one thing I've learned in this 'ole world it's that everything that's "foolproof" just hasn't met a fool stubborn enough, stupid enough, bull-headed enough, or just plain ornery enough to remove the "proof"...

and that of course, leaves only the fool...
How true, been around 72 yrs and have never seen anything that was completely foolproof and hadn't failed at one time or another even with backup systems. If man made it, it can and will fail eventually.

Remember a vibration test we were conducting and the goal was 1 million cycles without failure was considered failproof. We ran the test to failure which occurred at around 1.75 million. Far exceeded the expected lifespan, but it still failed.
Old 04-27-2012, 11:28 PM   #59

You guys are just jealous!
Old 04-27-2012, 11:41 PM   #60

Been Towing a fiver for over 35 years never dropped one yet but I may have Jinxed myself by saying that but I tend to check everything three or more times now that I'm getting older I have had some mishaps and boy do I tend to beat myself up. I now drive a little slower lift lighter weights and walk around trailer and forget something and go around again make more notes to myself and forget what I was meaning at the time so when it happens I will feel silly but a little wiser. By the way my last mishap was forgetting the steps were down and hooking them on the carport wall now I have a note on the pinbox that says STEPS and that has worked so far.

2001 Ford F-350 DRW 7.3
2011 25 RL Wildcat