Old 04-25-2012, 08:25 PM   #1

My worst nighmare

My worst nightmare is to have my fifth wheel trailer fall off the hitch and onto the truck bed rails. My neighbors nephew, had that happen last year ( jaws were not around pin ). Just wondering, how many people have had this happen to them?

Crusader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 08:27 PM   #2

Have had the same worries thought about looking into one of those anti-drop bars or systems I have seen but don't have any information on. Maybe someone can share a bit about them.

Old 04-25-2012, 08:32 PM   #3
Site Team - Lou

Blue Ox makes a neat "catcher" called a bed saver.
Cheap insurance for hitches that have "jaws" and not enclosed gate systems like the Pullrite.

Lou and Laura with Bella - German Short Hair Pointer
2008 GMC Sierra 2500HD Crewcab SB Allison Duramax
2010 Flagstaff 8526RLWS - Superglide 3300
HAM CALLSIGN - KC3FFW
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 08:34 PM   #4

It also happened to my neighbour/friend, but then he is kindof accident-prone anyway!
With that in mind, when I went shopping for a fifth wheel hitch, I bought one with a sliding lock bar rather than the jaws. Once that bar slides in behind the kingpin, it would take a nuclear weapon to break it free.
I know it is very rare for the jaws to not lockup properly, but I figured why take the chance when there is an option?
Old 04-25-2012, 08:37 PM   #5
Site Team - Lou

The Pullrite has a "rotating" U of solid steel that wraps completely around the pin and rests on the shoulders of the hitch plate.

If there is silver all the way around the pin the same Nuke won't budge it either. I will look for a photo of it locked.

http://images.campingworld.com/is/im...=0,-1&hei=1000

Here is a photo of the U in the locked position
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Includes Mounting plates.jpg
Views:	145
Size:	41.1 KB
ID:	12787   Click image for larger version

Name:	50029n.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	37.7 KB
ID:	12788  

HAM CALLSIGN - KC3FFW
Old 04-25-2012, 08:51 PM   #6

herk, I have the same hitch..but its still a fear...........Nephew told him, that they had to install a new truck bed. I hold my breath every time I hook and unhook....This is my first fifth wheel, so its a learning process.
Crusader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 08:51 PM   #7
Mod free 5er

Was under the impression that after hitching you were suppose to lock the trailer brakes and WITH THE LANDING JACKS JUST CLEARING THE GROUND BY MAYBE 1/4", try to pull forward. If that is done and you have 6" min. clearance to the bed, how can it damage anything? Sounds more like "Operator Error" than a faulty hitch.
Old 04-25-2012, 08:53 PM   #8

This is where a "been there, done that" fits... Last year new 2011 F250 long bed and had to pull the 5th wheel forward about 2 feet to reach the power plug on the rear of the 5er. Backed back under it, heard it click and got out and raised the front jack enough to clear my block and pulled forward. The truck moved and the 5er didn't except to crash down on my bed rails. What a heart stopper that is.. Glad I still had jacks down some because it only bent both sides down about 4" and tail gate was down so that was spared..

Since then I have my head in the bed of the truck making sure those Hensley Trailer Saver Jaws are wrapped all around that pin and I use a lock so no one can trip the jaws while I'm away from the truck. If we stop for lunch or leave the truck for any reason while traveling with the 5er, I stick my head back under there to make SURE that sucker is hugging the pin.

They say you'll only do it once, I'm making sure it don't happen again.

Don't be like me, I always said that would never happen to me...Will it did and what a way to learn.

<a href=http://www.forestriverforums.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic9630_4.gif target=_blank>http://www.forestriverforums.com/att...gpic9630_4.gif</a>
Itsthetwoofus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 09:00 PM   #9
Site Team - Lou

There is always going to be some joker (seems ya can't kill em fast enough) that think it is hilarious to open your black tank dump valve and close it while you are in eating lunch or pull the unlock latch on the 5th wheel hitch.

http://www.blueox.us/ShowApplication...pe=41&pid=1276

has the fit applications

HAM CALLSIGN - KC3FFW
Old 04-25-2012, 09:23 PM   #10

Hey ..Are we neighbors ?? I ALWAYS look at the locking bar on my HUSKY HITCH..after backing in..there is a painted pin "green" that pops out when its locked...And a painted "red" pin thats out when its not locked...and leaving those front jacks only a 1/2 inch off the ground and pulling forward a few inchs.. is also a good idea..Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN4530.jpg
Views:	718
Size:	53.5 KB
ID:	12796