Old 07-27-2012, 10:54 AM   #1

Need "Heavier Duty" Leaf Springs 318BHS, Trailer leaning..

Background...

My LaCrosse 318BHS Touring Ed. is sitting lower on the door side of the camper. the tires have actually "kissed" the fender well already. There is about 1" of clearance between the tire and fender.

My thought was to invest in some higher rated leaf springs. I have weighed the trailer and I am under the GAWR of the axles rated at 8800lbs. Currently, ready to camp, I am at +/- 8000lbs.. I am tongue heavy with my homemade bike rack on the tongue, but ok on the axles..

I've already talked with Roger at PT.. He was very helpful, and suggested that I just replace the original springs with the exact same springs, saying that they can and do wear out over time..

Now, while I don't mind that idea, I do not want to have to go through this ordeal in another two years.. With that said I am looking to upgrade the springs to something heavier. I am assuming the current springs are rated for 2200lbs per side, but have no way to confirm..

Is there a 2800lbs or 3000lbs spring I could use to upgrade the current ones and still keep the axles in the correct location (front to back) ? I would assume that I should get new u-bolts and nuts as well. I would likely upgrade to wet-style bolts too.

Any input is greatly appreciated..

Thanks!
John

John
foxhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 11:06 AM   #2

Spring fatigue in (2) years is odd,unless it was overloaded , which you say it was not. Youroo!!

Old 07-27-2012, 11:08 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by youroo View Post
Spring fatigue in (2) years is odd,unless it was overloaded , which you say it was not. Youroo!!
When I weighed it, it was the heaviest it has ever been for a trip. It was a long trip and we packed quite a bit.. So I know it has not been heavier..

John

John
Old 07-27-2012, 11:27 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Here's a link to Dexter Axle and their replacement springs...

Dexter Axle - Trailer Axles and Running Gear Components - Leaf Springs Double Eye

Dave

Nights camped in 2013 - 55, 2014 - 105, 2015 - 63
Dave_Monica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 11:39 AM   #5
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxhead View Post
Background...

My LaCrosse 318BHS Touring Ed. is sitting lower on the door side of the camper. the tires have actually "kissed" the fender well already. There is about 1" of clearance between the tire and fender.

My thought was to invest in some higher rated leaf springs. I have weighed the trailer and I am under the GAWR of the axles rated at 8800lbs. Currently, ready to camp, I am at +/- 8000lbs.. I am tongue heavy with my homemade bike rack on the tongue, but ok on the axles..

I've already talked with Roger at PT.. He was very helpful, and suggested that I just replace the original springs with the exact same springs, saying that they can and do wear out over time..

Now, while I don't mind that idea, I do not want to have to go through this ordeal in another two years.. With that said I am looking to upgrade the springs to something heavier. I am assuming the current springs are rated for 2200lbs per side, but have no way to confirm..

Is there a 2800lbs or 3000lbs spring I could use to upgrade the current ones and still keep the axles in the correct location (front to back) ? I would assume that I should get new u-bolts and nuts as well. I would likely upgrade to wet-style bolts too.

Any input is greatly appreciated..

Thanks!
John
You can buy the same springs, longer u bolts and take the main leaf and the next leaf from the old springs, cut the eyes off the main leaf and add them to the new springs OR just buy heavier springs, whichever is cheaper.
Old 07-27-2012, 11:46 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_Monica View Post
Here's a link to Dexter Axle and their replacement springs...

Dexter Axle - Trailer Axles and Running Gear Components - Leaf Springs Double Eye

Dave
Dave-

Thanks for the link, that is great. So now, I am trying to figure out what I may have, and what I may need...

I guess I am a little confused about the stack height and loaded arch height. Let's assume I have the 2000lbs rated springs with a 2.50" loaded arch height, with a 1.37" stack thickness.

So if I go to a 3000lbs rated spring, the loaded arch height is going to go down to 1.75", but the stack thickness is 2.01". It looks like I'd only gain 5/8" over a 2000lbs rated spring... But, I will not be loading it near the 3000lbs mark. So I'd assume, it will be overall higher...

The other question is about the "Axle Location".. The 2000lbs springs have a 12.00 axle location. The 3000lbs springs have a 13.00 axle location. Will this cause issues? And if so, what will change?

Thanks for all the help!
John

John
Old 07-27-2012, 11:51 AM   #7
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxhead View Post
...The other question is about the "Axle Location".. The 2000lbs springs have a 12.00 axle location. The 3000lbs springs have a 13.00 axle location. Will this cause issues? And if so, what will change?

That's why I would go with a new set of originals and add 2 leafs from the old springs.
Old 07-27-2012, 11:54 AM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

I'm assuming the the loaded arch height would be at the rated load so if you're less than that load, the arch height will be larger.

I don't have any idea about their reference to axle location.

Try giving them a call...they should be able to answer your questions.

Dave

Old 07-27-2012, 11:56 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_Monica View Post
I'm assuming the the loaded arch height would be at the rated load so if you're less than that load, the arch height will be larger.

I don't have any idea about their reference to axle location.

Try giving them a call...they should be able to answer your questions.

Dave
Will do.

Thanks!

John
Old 07-27-2012, 12:11 PM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

I looked at their chart again...the axle length is half the overall length, eye to eye. Longer spring, longer axle length, but still centered on the spring's length.

You'll need to measure your spring length eye to eye before talking to them.

Good Luck...

Dave

Tags
318bhs