Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-27-2012, 09:54 AM   #1

Need "Heavier Duty" Leaf Springs 318BHS, Trailer leaning..

Background...

My LaCrosse 318BHS Touring Ed. is sitting lower on the door side of the camper. the tires have actually "kissed" the fender well already. There is about 1" of clearance between the tire and fender.

My thought was to invest in some higher rated leaf springs. I have weighed the trailer and I am under the GAWR of the axles rated at 8800lbs. Currently, ready to camp, I am at +/- 8000lbs.. I am tongue heavy with my homemade bike rack on the tongue, but ok on the axles..

I've already talked with Roger at PT.. He was very helpful, and suggested that I just replace the original springs with the exact same springs, saying that they can and do wear out over time..

Now, while I don't mind that idea, I do not want to have to go through this ordeal in another two years.. With that said I am looking to upgrade the springs to something heavier. I am assuming the current springs are rated for 2200lbs per side, but have no way to confirm..

Is there a 2800lbs or 3000lbs spring I could use to upgrade the current ones and still keep the axles in the correct location (front to back) ? I would assume that I should get new u-bolts and nuts as well. I would likely upgrade to wet-style bolts too.

Any input is greatly appreciated..

Thanks!
John

John
foxhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 10:06 AM   #2

Spring fatigue in (2) years is odd,unless it was overloaded , which you say it was not. Youroo!!
youroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 10:08 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by youroo View Post
Spring fatigue in (2) years is odd,unless it was overloaded , which you say it was not. Youroo!!
When I weighed it, it was the heaviest it has ever been for a trip. It was a long trip and we packed quite a bit.. So I know it has not been heavier..

John

John
Old 07-27-2012, 10:27 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Here's a link to Dexter Axle and their replacement springs...

Dexter Axle - Trailer Axles and Running Gear Components - Leaf Springs Double Eye

Dave

Nights camped in 2013 - 55, 2014 - 105, 2015 - 63
Dave_Monica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 10:39 AM   #5
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxhead View Post
Background...

My LaCrosse 318BHS Touring Ed. is sitting lower on the door side of the camper. the tires have actually "kissed" the fender well already. There is about 1" of clearance between the tire and fender.

My thought was to invest in some higher rated leaf springs. I have weighed the trailer and I am under the GAWR of the axles rated at 8800lbs. Currently, ready to camp, I am at +/- 8000lbs.. I am tongue heavy with my homemade bike rack on the tongue, but ok on the axles..

I've already talked with Roger at PT.. He was very helpful, and suggested that I just replace the original springs with the exact same springs, saying that they can and do wear out over time..

Now, while I don't mind that idea, I do not want to have to go through this ordeal in another two years.. With that said I am looking to upgrade the springs to something heavier. I am assuming the current springs are rated for 2200lbs per side, but have no way to confirm..

Is there a 2800lbs or 3000lbs spring I could use to upgrade the current ones and still keep the axles in the correct location (front to back) ? I would assume that I should get new u-bolts and nuts as well. I would likely upgrade to wet-style bolts too.

Thanks!
John
You can buy the same springs, longer u bolts and take the main leaf and the next leaf from the old springs, cut the eyes off the main leaf and add them to the new springs OR just buy heavier springs, whichever is cheaper.
Old 07-27-2012, 10:46 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_Monica View Post
Here's a link to Dexter Axle and their replacement springs...

Dexter Axle - Trailer Axles and Running Gear Components - Leaf Springs Double Eye

Dave
Dave-

Thanks for the link, that is great. So now, I am trying to figure out what I may have, and what I may need...

I guess I am a little confused about the stack height and loaded arch height. Let's assume I have the 2000lbs rated springs with a 2.50" loaded arch height, with a 1.37" stack thickness.

So if I go to a 3000lbs rated spring, the loaded arch height is going to go down to 1.75", but the stack thickness is 2.01". It looks like I'd only gain 5/8" over a 2000lbs rated spring... But, I will not be loading it near the 3000lbs mark. So I'd assume, it will be overall higher...

The other question is about the "Axle Location".. The 2000lbs springs have a 12.00 axle location. The 3000lbs springs have a 13.00 axle location. Will this cause issues? And if so, what will change?

Thanks for all the help!
John

John
Old 07-27-2012, 10:51 AM   #7
Mod free 5er

Quote:
...The other question is about the "Axle Location".. The 2000lbs springs have a 12.00 axle location. The 3000lbs springs have a 13.00 axle location. Will this cause issues? And if so, what will change?

That's why I would go with a new set of originals and add 2 leafs from the old springs.
Old 07-27-2012, 10:54 AM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

I'm assuming the the loaded arch height would be at the rated load so if you're less than that load, the arch height will be larger.

I don't have any idea about their reference to axle location.

Try giving them a call...they should be able to answer your questions.

Dave

Old 07-27-2012, 10:56 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_Monica View Post
I'm assuming the the loaded arch height would be at the rated load so if you're less than that load, the arch height will be larger.

I don't have any idea about their reference to axle location.

Try giving them a call...they should be able to answer your questions.

Dave
Will do.

Thanks!

John
Old 07-27-2012, 11:11 AM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

I looked at their chart again...the axle length is half the overall length, eye to eye. Longer spring, longer axle length, but still centered on the spring's length.

You'll need to measure your spring length eye to eye before talking to them.

Good Luck...

Dave

Old 08-02-2012, 09:45 AM   #11

Quote:
Background...

Thanks!
John
Is your (Prime Time) problem fixed yet?? Youroo!!
Old 08-02-2012, 09:49 AM   #12

Not yet...

I have sent an email back to them asking for the "factory" dimensions, info, etc. on the springs as they come stock. Still waiting on a reply....

It is nearly impossible for me to get a good measurement on the current ones, as they have flattened out significantly. I would like to get something a bit stronger without over-doing it and making it ride too terrible..

I am also wondering, if there is a possibility that I got the "wrong" spring or a bad batch...

I just want to stop hitting the fender-well (floor) when pulling the camper..

Thanks for asking!
John

John
Old 08-03-2012, 06:17 AM   #13

Update:

Primetime does not want to "mis-advise" me on the springs... They stated that this problem is beyond their expertise. The advice given is to take it to a dealer or to call Lippert directly. I am having a hard time believing that all the people at PT have no idea on how to help, other than to pass it to a dealer or Lippert...

Yay for the help.... I'm not going to a dealer to just have them rip me off... Especially, when this is easy work at my house. Unbolt a few springs and install some new ones..

I can't wait to deal with Lippert. I will begin the calls today... I just want my tires to stop hitting the underside of my trailer... The joys of RV ownership...

John

John
Old 08-03-2012, 07:26 AM   #14

If you think (Prime Time) gave you the (Run A Roumd) you better get a pair of Track shoes while dealing with (Lippert)! Youroo!!
Old 08-03-2012, 07:28 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by youroo View Post
If you think (Prime Time) gave you the (Run A Roumd) you better get a pair of Track shoes while dealing with (Lippert)! Youroo!!
I completely figured that... Hence, my enthusiasm in my previous post...

Yay...
John

John
Old 08-03-2012, 12:43 PM   #16
Commercial Member

fox - I'm sorry you felt we were giving you the run-around. PT declining to help was a decision that actually came from me, not Roger. Even though I believe our people are very competent, to give you information about specialty spring applications and how they would impact your ride height, ride quality, clearance, etc seemed like a slippery slope that we don't usually travel (actually have never traveled).

I'd much rather believe that your dealer could see your unit, take some measurements, verify that there's not other factors at work in your spring fatigue, and then deal directly with Lippert to analyze whether heavier springs will make sense (or even work) for your unit.

It seemed to me, having you (or your dealer) work directly with Lippert would give you better, more accurate answers, and be ALOT cheaper. Again, sorry for the additional work. Best of luck.

PTM
RV Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 12:50 PM   #17
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by RV Guy View Post
fox - I'm sorry you felt we were giving you the run-around. PT declining to help was a decision that actually came from me, not Roger. Even though I believe our people are very competent, to give you information about specialty spring applications and how they would impact your ride height, ride quality, clearance, etc seemed like a slippery slope that we don't usually travel (actually have never traveled).

I'd much rather believe that your dealer could see your unit, take some measurements, verify that there's not other factors at work in your spring fatigue, and then deal directly with Lippert to analyze whether heavier springs will make sense (or even work) for your unit.

It seemed to me, having you (or your dealer) work directly with Lippert would give you better, more accurate answers, and be ALOT cheaper. Again, sorry for the additional work. Best of luck.

PTM
Absolutely none of my business, but why would you not offer new springs as replacements rather than "kick the can down the road" or into someone else's yard?
Old 08-03-2012, 01:08 PM   #18

Quote:

PTM
RV Guy-

I do truly understand your point of view. It is better to deal with Lippert directly, as they made the chassis.. My only gripe, and albeit small, is that PrimeTime (Forest River) has a much better system of contacts within Lippert's maze of folks.. I was not asking for a warranty claim, just someone within your organization to grease the wheel and help me get an answer... Maybe even an extension # to someone at Lippert...

It took 3 hours on the phone, yes, three hours, and of that time, being on hold for 2H:52M to get someone that knew what was going on, and that could help me.

They were less than helpful once I even spoke to someone that remotely cared.. All I wanted to know was the following:
What spring was originally used and,
What spring I could use to hopefully avoid this in the future...

I even went to the trouble of looking up all the possible part numbers in Lippert's catalog to help them once I got someone on the phone. I had axle tag info and everything..

I went to the trouble of weighing my rig in every possible manner. Front to back, each axle, and each wheel. I am under my GVWR and within 100lbs +/- to each side of the coach. Just to make sure I was not overloading it or doing something wrong on my part.

I explained to the person that I just wanted a heavier set of springs.. He was offended, more or less, that something could be wrong with the spring. He finally relented, and said that I could use the 3000lbs spring, but would void my warranty.. Again, I explained, that I was beyond the warranty period anyway... He was confused more. I explained again, that I'm not trying to cut anyone out of a dollar, I just want my camper to sit level again and not have the tires hit the underside of the camper....

One last note regarding my selling dealer.. Once I had signed all the papers and the "PDI" was done, they could have cared less about me too. I had a terrible experience after the sale that I will never go back to them. I have done all my own work to the unit, even though most would have been covered under warranty.

I am not mad with PT, nor Roger, nor you. I am happy with my PT unit. It has been great overall. I guess I was just hoping for a little more.. Again though, I understand. It's just business.

Thanks for taking the time to reply to me and here on the public forums. You are a great resource to our hobby.

Thank you.
John

John
Old 08-03-2012, 01:21 PM   #19
Commercial Member

dunn - the request from fox was actually for a different set of springs that were heavier, not a replacement set of the same kind. He's wanting to upgrade to potentially avoid the same issue. Replacement springs would be a snap, but how a special set of springs designed for a different axle and hangars would work on the unit was where we started getting nervous and thought Lippert would be better able to see all of the issues.

Fox - that stinks. I'll make some calls and have Roger email you.
RV Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 01:26 PM   #20

Quote:
dunn - the request from fox was actually for a different set of springs that were heavier, not a replacement set of the same kind. He's wanting to upgrade to potentially avoid the same issue. Replacement springs would be a snap, but how a special set of springs designed for a different axle and hangars would work on the unit was where we started getting nervous and thought Lippert would be better able to see all of the issues.

Fox - that stinks. I'll make some calls and have Roger email you.
RVG-

Not that I had lost faith, but it really is nice that you (the top guy there) (Primetime) are taking the time to deal with my issue...

I just want to be able to use my LaCrosse again..

Thank you, sincerely! Really!
John

John

Tags
318bhs