Old 11-01-2012, 07:02 AM   #1

Need Help with hitch height please

Hello all!

My first post on this great forum I just bought a 2013 Prime Time Lacrosse 319 and due to the camper being about 1hour away from me I need to know what the hitch height is for this model. When I towed it, it swayed like crazy. I believe Im about 6 inches to high on the hitch but had it running level. This is what I know Truck is 2012 Ram 3/4 ton my current weight dist. hitch is setting at 25inches from the ground and im THINKING the trailer hitch height is 20 inches -1 inch for proper set-up equals 6 inches? please help me out thanks in advance.....

Joe Greenwell
Maysville,KY

Old 11-01-2012, 11:57 AM   #2
Commercial Member

Here is a link to our specification page on LaCrosse. These are very accurate for an "average" 319 as it leaves the factory.

Prime Time Manufacturing, Manufacturers of travel trailers and fifth wheels

Hope this helps.

PTM

Old 11-01-2012, 12:41 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

RV Guy, I don't see where the tongue height is posted.....just the tongue weight.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ky joe View Post

My first post on this great forum I just bought a 2013 Prime Time Lacrosse 319 and due to the camper being about 1hour away from me I need to know what the hitch height is for this model. When I towed it, it swayed like crazy.
Joe, what type of WDH and sway control are you using ??

If your trailer is riding level, then no hitch height adjustment is probably needed. What you may need to do is adjust the WDH to get more or less weight distributed. As a result of that, then you may need to readjust the hitch height to accommodate those changes.

Chap , DW Joy, and Fur Baby Sango
2017 F350 Lariat CCSB, SRW, 4x4, 6.7 PS
2017 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
MtnGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 03:28 PM   #4

thanks for the reply,

Im using the reese pro series.... I told the service tech at the dealership I bought the camper from that I had alot of sway just running down the interstate. He ask at what height I had my ball on my weight dist set I told him I think it was 25 inches from the top of the ball to the ground. He told me to measure the lacrosse hitch height on flat ground and then deduct 1 inch from that, for a good starting point.... the camper is away from my location and just want to see if this is my problem. It looked to run level when I towed it, It was set on the lowest holes on the hitch...
Old 11-01-2012, 03:50 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Joe, I don't think the Reese Pro Series has any type of sway control built in. Are you using a friction sway bar ??? With a 35.5' trailer, you should probably be using 2 friction sway bars. A WDH with intergrated sway control like the Reese Straight Line Dual Cam, the Equal-i-zer 4 pt, or the Blue Ox Sway Pro might have been a better setup for length trailer.

Also, with an 800 lb listed tongue weight, you should also probably have 1200 lb. spring bars. Make sure that is what the dealer gave you.

Old 11-01-2012, 04:10 PM   #6

I dont have any type of sway control... I just traded in a 30ft Trail Master when I bought this one and didnt have any sway issues, does 5 to 6 feet more camper make that much diffrence... I dont know Im just asking..
Old 11-01-2012, 04:23 PM   #7
Commercial Member

Oops my bad - guess I was in a hurry reading your post - sorry.

This isn't a measurement we usually record but it should be approximately 22" from the ground to the BOTTOM of the coupler.

PTM
Old 11-01-2012, 06:21 PM   #8

Thanks guys for your help..... I think I can get going now!!
Old 11-02-2012, 08:07 AM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by ky joe View Post
I dont have any type of sway control... I just traded in a 30ft Trail Master when I bought this one and didnt have any sway issues, does 5 to 6 feet more camper make that much diffrence... I dont know Im just asking..
Towing a 35.5' trailer even with a 3/4 ton truck you will need some type of sway control. That is evident with the sway that you are getting with the current towing setup. Don't wait until the winds hit.

Going up 5 or 6' from a 30' trailer is a huge leap. There are other possibilities that could be adding to differences:

The Trail Master could have had a higher tongue to total weight percentage. The 319 you now have only has about a 10% tongue weight (compared to total weight). That would be better if that was in the 12-15% ratio. You will probably need to load the trailer front heavy.

The WDH could have been setup differently on the Trail Master than with the LaCrosse. You were lucky pulling the Trail Master that you never had a situation where sway control was needed.

Old 11-02-2012, 08:55 AM   #10

I will say this, on my 318bhs I had the same issue....bad bounce and sway with dealer setup....

You will NEED the 1200lb bars and at A BARE MINIMUM one friction sway...3/4 ton truck or not...

My main issue was hitch head tilt angle....the dealer set it up with 2 washers and in order to get the weight I needed distributed I had to add 5 more washers!!..

If your trailer is level then that is where you want to be....

Get some scale weights and that will tell you the whole story....either way you need tl add one and preferably TWO friction sway bars....or switch to a unit with sway included like a straight line....or on the more extreme side a Hensley or propride....

2012 lacrosse 318bhs touring- sold
ironj is offline   Reply With Quote