Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-24-2011, 12:55 AM   #1

New 308RES

I just purchased a new 308res and
Love the trailer. However, I have some issues.....

1. The GFI in the bathroom will
Not reset. I reset the breakers, turn the power off, no luck!

2. When I brought the trailer home plugged the cord to my 30 amp plug, turn the breaker on, the wife screams smoke! There was
Smoke coming from the breaker box and the TV in the bed room. I turned the
Power off, unplugged the TV and check the panel
Box. No breakers were tripped and no fuses were blown either. The TV works , I removed the tv from the bedroom and plugged it in the house, tv is good. however. My battery will not charge, GFI will not reset, HELP!!!
Ravens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2011, 05:25 AM   #2

If you plugged trailer cord into your 30amp dryer connection in your house you pretty much fryed the trailer stuff. If its a 110v 30amp plug different issue.

The gfi plugs that come with unit are very cheep. Good to your local hardware store and get a new gfi plug. Gfi outlets could and for the most part are tied into other outlets, maybe your bathroom gfi is tied to the outlet for the tv.

You will have to take the face plate off the breaker pannel box and see what type of damage was done. The problem could be loose wires,( mfgs are good for not tightening the wires down) check with screw driver for tightness. Maybe there was a bare wire touched something else.
cardinal4fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2011, 08:25 AM   #3

I did not plug the trailer in the dryer of the house. I have a 30 amp connection sideof the house that I use for my TT. I have no red lights in the panel box, all the breakers look good, fuses are good. The receptacles in the kitchen does not work and the microwave has no power. Everything else seems robe working when have a battery charger connected to the battery. When I remove the battery charger, the battery starts to drain then I start to lose my fridge even thou I'm connected to a 30 amp connection at the CG.
Ravens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2011, 08:31 AM   #4
Site Team - Lou

Can I ask who installed the 30 amp RV outlet?

It totally sounds like it was wired as a 220VAC.
Has it worked before with a previous camper?

If the RV outlet worked previously with a 30 amp camper, then there had to have been a catastrophic failure in the converter.

If not, someone wired your outlet wrong (220VAC vs. 110VAC)

If you applied 220 VAC to your camper, I have very bad news for you.
You are looking at a VERY expensive repair that will not be covered by your warranty. Fuses and circuit breakers will NOT stop an over/under voltage condition (just an over amperage fault). Over voltage will destroy electronics in an instant without tripping any breakers.
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2011, 08:37 AM   #5

If your 30 amp hook up is wired correctly, then it does sound like the tt's got something wired wrong somewhere. I would get it back to the dealer so they could check it out and fix whatever it is.
Good luck and keep us posted.
grhodes50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2011, 03:12 PM   #6

When you went through your PDI, did the dealer have the TT plugged in and have everything working? If so, then it sounds loke something jarred loose and shorted between the dealer and home.
rracer5 is offline   Reply With Quote