Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-24-2018, 09:24 PM   #1

New 5er...big question!

So we are not newbies by any means.. this is our 4th camper, but our 1st 5th wheel. We bought a crusader 30BH and it is our 1st camper with 2 black tanks and a grey tank...problem is, only 2 dump valves...one in the front of the camper and one in the back. So which is which? Which valve controls gray tank as well? Trully perplexed and we need showers lol. Otherwise, this camper has been pretty good quality and a dream to tow!!Click image for larger version

Name:	1535162712955.jpeg
Views:	170
Size:	57.9 KB
ID:	184279Click image for larger version

Name:	1535162684173.jpeg
Views:	189
Size:	110.0 KB
ID:	184280
darbydrewandstarbietoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2018, 09:49 PM   #2

Looks like you are hooked up to sewer. Two valves and one outlet? Get a clear 45 and let it rip, you’ll be able to tell pretty quick. It’s not going to hurt anything if you happen to dump the black first while you are figuring it out.
2017 Heartland Cyclone 3800
2016 Ford F350 6.7 DRW
B&W Companion
pjones1969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2018, 09:58 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjones1969 View Post
Looks like you are hooked up to sewer. Two valves and one outlet? Get a clear 45 and let it rip, you’ll be able to tell pretty quick. It’s not going to hurt anything if you happen to dump the black first while you are figuring it out.
Well...its actually 2 outlets and one valve on each outlet. Never seen this before. I have always had 1 outlet with 1 big valve and 1 little valve. Thinking maybe both black tanks go into one outlet and the gray into the other? Guess ill figure it out when all the tanks get full lol. Thanks for the reply!
Old 08-25-2018, 09:22 AM   #4

while anything is possible i would expect each tank to have it's own dump valve. there may be any number of outlet connections. are you sure you have 3 tanks? if so, you may have to crawl under a bit to see if you can find another dump valve somewhere. if really three tanks and two dump valves that implies that two of the tanks are connected together. perhaps that is their solution to get tank capacity using small tanks that they can squeeze into a tight space. but i don't know. contact forest river and ask them. get a clear adapter, run water down a drain, and open the dump valves until you find the one that is getting the water. you'll learn which tank / valve collects water from each drain.
Old 08-25-2018, 10:24 AM   #5

Since you did not list your Manufacturer and model # , I'm gonna have to take a guess. IF you have 2 black tanks and 1 gray tank you must have 3 valves. 1 gray and 1 black are tied together on one side of your axels. You need 2 valves for that. I have to assume you have a 2nd black tank on the other side of your axels. Do you have 2 baths? I have 2 tanks and 3 valves. 1 gray (shower), 1 galley and 1 black. You can't drain from one tank to the other if they are separated by the axels.

Again, I have to guess about this because I can't look up your floor plan. Go to your user cp page, Scroll down the left side and fill out a signature line. Your model and manufacturer will always show up on your post without you having to type it in. Take a look at my signature line.
cavie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2018, 10:26 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by cavie View Post
Since you did not list your Manufacturer and model # , I'm gonna have to take a guess. IF you have 2 black tanks and 1 gray tank you must have 3 valves. 1 gray and 1 black are tied together on one side of your axels. You need 2 valves for that. I have to assume you have a 2nd black tank on the other side of your axels. Do you have 2 baths? I have 2 tanks and 3 valves. 1 gray (shower), 1 galley and 1 black. You can't drain from one tank to the other if they are separated by the axels.

Again, I have to guess about this because I can't look up your floor plan. Go to your user cp page, Scroll down the left side and fill out a signature line. Your model and manufacturer will always show up on your post without you having to type it in. Take a look at my signature line.
Yes...sorry about that...its a prime time crusader 30bh
Old 08-25-2018, 10:44 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by darbydrewandstarbietoo View Post
Yes...sorry about that...its a prime time crusader 30bh
yes, you have two toilets. with axels between.
cavie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2018, 10:59 AM   #8
Recently new!

Send a message via AIM to Paulie1138
Prime time seems to like hiding a grey handle just forward of the forward driver’s side tire. Kinda hard to see it, but try looking there.
Loving wife, R.I.P., 6/6/19
and Mason the always dirty dog! R.I.P, 2/19
Paulie1138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2018, 11:30 AM   #9
Denver To Yuma In 90 Days

A friend of mine bought an Open Range 5'ver a few months back and we searched for what seemed like hours trying to find the rear gray tank drain handle.

Finally noticed a slit in the coroplast toward the rear of the trailer and found the handle up inside that slit...and it was facing toward the center of the trailer, which meant that he had to crawl under the 5'ver every time he needed to dump that tank just to get enough leverage to pull out the handle.

One of the dumbest design flaws I've ever seen on an RV...

I talked him into buying a Valterra twist-on gate valve for that drain so he didn't have to crawl under the trailer anymore.
JohnD10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2018, 11:30 AM   #10

Well...its settled.. either they forgot to install the handle or it fell off somewhere in transit. Luckily wr are camping 10 min. From the dealership and they gave us a handle, located the valve throught the frame and all is well. Thanks for everybody's advice and input!!
Old 08-25-2018, 12:29 PM   #11
Denver To Yuma In 90 Days

On my previous TT I lost one of those handles on the way home from the dealership after I picked it up for the first time.

I had never even touched that handle.

My dealership refused to replace it saying it was my fault, so I bought one from their store...and never bought anything from them ever again!

Including my new 5'ver!
JohnD10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2018, 02:58 PM   #12

Usually Prime Time plumbs their bunk house model tanks as follows;

-The front bathroom has its' own black tank for the toilet & a valve to drain it. The shower & sink have their own grey tank and should have a valve for it.
-The kitchen sink has its' own galley tank & valve for it. These 3 tanks share the front outlet.
-The rear bathroom has its' own black tank, valve & outlet. The rear bathroom sink could either share the rear black tank or drain into the kitchen galley tank.

So, if I'm correct, you should have 3 valves & T-handles for the front outlet & 1 valve & handle for the rear outlet.
rracer5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2018, 03:07 PM   #13

Between the dealer and the manufacturer we have come up with one t handle that was missing and there was a hole through the frame for that. We believe the galley drains into the grey tank in the front of the camper and the bunk house black tank also takes the grey from the sink in that bathroom. We added the missing handle and so far so good. Thanks for all of the helpful advice!!
Old 08-25-2018, 03:20 PM   #14

Quote:
Between the dealer and the manufacturer we have come up with one t handle that was missing and there was a hole through the frame for that. We believe the galley drains into the grey tank in the front of the camper and the bunk house black tank also takes the grey from the sink in that bathroom. We added the missing handle and so far so good. Thanks for all of the helpful advice!!

Now that I've looked at the specs for the 30BH I see that you have a 60 gal. fresh water tank, 35 gal. grey/galley tank & 70 gal. black tank capacity which is most likely a 35 gal. tank for the front bathroom and another 35 gal. tank for the rear bathroom.
Old 08-25-2018, 08:13 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by rracer5 View Post
Now that I've looked at the specs for the 30BH I see that you have a 60 gal. fresh water tank, 35 gal. grey/galley tank & 70 gal. black tank capacity which is most likely a 35 gal. tank for the front bathroom and another 35 gal. tank for the rear bathroom.
That makes sense and explains everything we've been able to figure out over the last frantic showerless 24 hours lol
Old 08-25-2018, 08:31 PM   #16

Quote:
That makes sense and explains everything we've been able to figure out over the last frantic showerless 24 hours lol

What doesn't make sense to me is that they put such a small grey tank capacity in bunk house 2 bath units. Don't they realize these types of units will have entire "families" ?
Old 08-25-2018, 08:47 PM   #17

Quote:
What doesn't make sense to me is that they put such a small grey tank capacity in bunk house 2 bath units. Don't they realize these types of units will have entire "families" ?
I dont think they make a grey tank big enough for my family...the ladies like their long showers[emoji23]
Old 08-26-2018, 03:46 PM   #18

Quote:
I dont think they make a grey tank big enough for my family...the ladies like their long showers[emoji23]

Going to have to train them that if they want a shower tomorrow, they'll have to learn how to take "navy" showers!
Old 08-26-2018, 04:02 PM   #19

Quote:
Going to have to train them that if they want a shower tomorrow, they'll have to learn how to take "navy" showers!
We are a navy family...you would think they would have gotten it by now. But ever since we moved out of the tent and then the pop up they have gotten soft haha
Old 08-26-2018, 04:07 PM   #20

Quote:
We are a navy family...you would think they would have gotten it by now. But ever since we moved out of the tent and then the pop up they have gotten soft haha

Back to basics!!

Tags
5er