Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-04-2014, 07:18 PM   #1

New Crusader, More Issues

So as with any camper making all the fixes to get everything working seems to be part of buyiong a camper. I have a new 2014 Crusader 296bhs and so far Ive had to make several fixes and I thought Id share for those that have or are looking for a new Crusader.

1) I found the Cable Splitter in the wall behind the TV installed backwards and the Cable crimps were horrible. (I was getting alot of static)

2) had to make some adjustments on the slide as is was rubbing on both sides of the camper floor while retracting and leaving ugly black streaks. It also would get a puddle of water under the slide when it rained, but adjusting it and cleaning the seals seems to hjave thwarted that.

3) I have next to no heat coming up in the front of the camper. At first I ignored this but when I removed the intake register to run some wires under the fridge I found Three busted 4" flex ducts. They were forced in and split right in half. I have since fixed them but the heat still sucks in front of camper so maybe its broken in the belly somewhere.

4) Fresh water tank would not fill all the way and was "burpoing" water back at me. I opened the cabinet in the belly behind the water inlet and found that the Vent hose drooped lower than the fill hose. I wire tied it higher and it now it fills all the way. I than pressurizzed the pump and found #5.

5) In the cabinet behind the Water fill hose (Where the pump is located) there is a wasps nest of white rubber hoses. These were all put together with plastic pex fittings and pex crimp rings. Problem, since the hose is much softer than pex, the hose squeezes with the pex crimps and almost every fitting was leaking. Everytime I fixed one another started to leak. So far I replaced them with Stainless hose clamps to get me back rolling but Im not sure what I will do permanatally. I may replace all the cheap rubber hose with real pex so I can sleep at night.

6) Red light to indicate water heater on does not work. Never has. Still need to work on fixing that.

7) Refridgerator vent door (Outside) was extremly tight and hard to open or close. I found that they screwed it on with a round raised head screws and this was pushing the cover away. I replaced them all with Flat, flush head stainless screws. So Far so good.

8) bedroom radio blue screen is extremly annoying when trying to sleep on that side of the bed. removed radio and installed on off power switch above it to shut it off at night. (Simply turning radio off doesnt work)

9) Bunkhouse door is extremly tight and getting worse with the heat. Still need to fix that.

I think thats about it. All in all most doesnt bother me too much really. I would use my dealer but theyre a bit away and frankly Id rather be camping than waiting to get my camper back. Just wanted to give others a heads up on things to look / or be prepparred for!
blkcorvair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 07:24 PM   #2
Site Team

no qc in rv

Sounds like you got one of the better ones Just kidding.
Nothing in the rv industry surprises me anymore. If thats all the problems you have I think your doing good

Took me a YEAR to get all the bugs out of my lacrosse and we had a long laundry list. Knocking on wood!

Zelda the campin dog
Platokidd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 07:33 PM   #3

Sounds like another unit built on a Friday!
Todouble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 12:18 AM   #4

Just a couple of notes:

#6 - I believe the red light is a fault light that will only come on if there is an issue with the gas side burner.

#8 - There is an option to dim or shut off the radio light in the radio menu (I figured this out after a few sleepless nights....)
Jfwoodland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 05:01 AM   #5
Toy-aholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jfwoodland View Post
Just a couple of notes:

#6 - I believe the red light is a fault light that will only come on if there is an issue with the gas side burner
yes red light means gas did not light
Old 06-09-2014, 09:40 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jfwoodland View Post
Just a couple of notes:

#6 - I believe the red light is a fault light that will only come on if there is an issue with the gas side burner.

#8 - There is an option to dim or shut off the radio light in the radio menu (I figured this out after a few sleepless nights....)
Thanks for the tip on dimming the light. I've been putting a pillow case over it.
Old 06-09-2014, 09:43 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by blkcorvair View Post
So as with any camper making all the fixes to get everything working seems to be part of buyiong a camper. I have a new 2014 Crusader 296bhs and so far Ive had to make several fixes and I thought Id share for those that have or are looking for a new Crusader.

I think thats about it. All in all most doesnt bother me too much really. I would use my dealer but theyre a bit away and frankly Id rather be camping than waiting to get my camper back. Just wanted to give others a heads up on things to look / or be prepparred for!
Thanks for the list. I've got the 296bhs as well so I will look at mine to see if I have any of these issues.

The big issue I had was the auto leveling system. They spent days trying to fix it and ended up replacing 100% of the components because they couldn't find the problem. If I find time I'll list the problems I have had with mine.
Old 06-09-2014, 04:33 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by kohai View Post
Thanks for the list. I've got the 296bhs as well so I will look at mine to see if I have any of these issues.

The big issue I had was the auto leveling system. They spent days trying to fix it and ended up replacing 100% of the components because they couldn't find the problem. If I find time I'll list the problems I have had with mine.

My leveling system was 14" High in front. Once I zero calibrated it, I was good to go. forgot to mention that one!

I did learn about the gas light, I actually just added two small green LED's one for each heater switch so that I would know when it is on by quick glanc. Turns out thats a pretty common mod.
blkcorvair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 10:15 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by blkcorvair View Post
My leveling system was 14" High in front. Once I zero calibrated it, I was good to go. forgot to mention that one!

I did learn about the gas light, I actually just added two small green LED's one for each heater switch so that I would know when it is on by quick glanc. Turns out thats a pretty common mod.

Can you post a pic of the LEDs you added to the heater switches?

Tags
crusader