Old 07-17-2011, 07:52 AM   #11

Very good idea BILCIN. I think 2 by 6 would work also on a smaller trailer. The only problem is these pieces of woods are quite bulky to carry and each piece that are added are longer as you go higher. How many pieces do you need to be able to lift up the wheel on the flat tire and how long is the longer piece of wood that sits on the ground?

Old 07-17-2011, 09:56 AM   #12

Trailer-Aid lets you drive up on the good tire & change the flat without jacks.

Enjoying the great outdoors with one hubby and 2 boxers!
2011 Georgetown 280DS
2010 Jeep Wangler 4x4 Toad
KarenS144 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011, 10:31 AM   #13

join AAA gold covers many problems that can occure while towing. best 100 bucks u can spend
Old 07-17-2011, 07:10 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by capucine View Post
Very good idea BILCIN. I think 2 by 6 would work also on a smaller trailer. The only problem is these pieces of woods are quite bulky to carry and each piece that are added are longer as you go higher. How many pieces do you need to be able to lift up the wheel on the flat tire and how long is the longer piece of wood that sits on the ground?
Capucine,
I carry 5 pieces of 2x8 for leveling my trailer, they are all about 4 feet long, and are bulky, but they cost me a $1 each from Home Depot. If I ever get a flat I will have to figure out how to line them up under the good wheel.
2005 Ford Excursion 6 liter Turbo Diesel
Bilcin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011, 07:20 PM   #15
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bilcin View Post
Capucine,
I carry 5 pieces of 2x8 for leveling my trailer, they are all about 4 feet long, and are bulky, but they cost me a $1 each from Home Depot. If I ever get a flat I will have to figure out how to line them up under the good wheel.
Have you ever tried this in your driveway? Better figure out if it won't work like you think in the comfort of your driveway than on the beltway around D.C. at rush hour.

We also have towing on both truck and camper with our insurance company and AAA for any non-towing road problems. The downside to calling them is the wait for the truck.

The upside is not HAVING to change a highway side tire EVER. Guard rail side tire is at your option if you have a spare and time on your hands.

Lou and Laura with Bella - German Short Hair Pointer
2008 GMC Sierra 2500HD Crewcab SB Allison Duramax
2010 Flagstaff 8526RLWS - Superglide 3300
HAM CALLSIGN - KC3FFW
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011, 07:40 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by herk7769 View Post
Have you ever tried this in your driveway? Better figure out if it won't work like you think in the comfort of your driveway than on the beltway around D.C. at rush hour.
Herk7769,
Absolutely, will see how to do this, and if I can't figure it out, I will be buying one of those trailer tire changer thingies that you put under the good tire and drive up on it. Same idea, but sounds much easier to do.
Old 07-17-2011, 08:00 PM   #17
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bilcin View Post
Herk7769,
Absolutely, will see how to do this, and if I can't figure it out, I will be buying one of those trailer tire changer thingies that you put under the good tire and drive up on it. Same idea, but sounds much easier to do.
Make sure you have GREAT comm with your DW when you do that too. Dropping your camper several inches may not sound like much, but driving off one of those things by pulling forward or backing up (depending on the wheel) too far will be a FAR bigger disaster than a flat tire.

Most likely that WILL bend your frame.

Lou and Laura with Bella - German Short Hair Pointer
2008 GMC Sierra 2500HD Crewcab SB Allison Duramax
2010 Flagstaff 8526RLWS - Superglide 3300
HAM CALLSIGN - KC3FFW
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011, 09:16 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by herk7769 View Post

Herk7769,

Great Idea about your insurance. I have 21st Century Insurance and roadside assistance is included in my policy and it states that it also applies to any trailer I tow with my insured vehicle. So I guess I won't be changing any flat I get! I will bring a deck of cards to play while I wait for the repair truck! Thanks for the tip!
Old 07-18-2011, 07:56 AM   #19
Commercial Member

sfrye - sounds like you are getting a lot of great advice. If there are questions that remain unresolved in your mind, don't hesitate to give us a call at 574-862-3001 or contact us on our web site at www.primetimerv.com. We'd be happy to help.

Congratulations on your purchase and thank you.

PTM
Old 07-18-2011, 08:50 AM   #20

before u go out, make sure u can get the lug nuts off. my first flat was 3 yrs after buying my trailer. drove from greely co to well south of denver before someone came along side pointing. all that was left was the cord. i had always checked the torque but never tried to remove. well... i fought them. the long lug nuts turned out to be just decorative covers. when they came off, my lug wrench was then too large. i have sense replaced all of them with what i thought to be solid. well they aren't solid either. i do now have a deep socket that will fit the nut with or without the decorative cover.
the aluminum wheels require a deep socket to reach the actual nut. i would suggest pulling a couple lug nuts before u go out. do as i say and not like i did...
i have used road side assistance twice. the first time i was in a campground and had response in abt 2 hrs. the second time it was abt 5pm on a sat afternoon in Little Rock, ark. i also needed a tire (i had two flats within 30 minutes...only had one spare). it took the ins co 2 hrs just to locate someone that would answer the phone and come out. they had to locate a tire. i was back on the road by 8:30 and they only took cash. ins reimbursed.
the first of the two consecutive flats, i changed myself and was back on the road within 30 minutes.