Old 07-15-2011, 09:52 PM   #1

New Guy With Several Question

Have a 2012 Tracer 3150BHD. Taking it on its maiden voyage 7/22. Done tent camping with boy scouts, but haven't camped in a camper since 1978 when the family went from Indiana to Colorado... ANYWAY...

1.) If I get a flat, where do I place the jack to jack the trailer and change the tire?
2.) Why is the blind over the sink a metal blind when all the other are cloth?
3.) In my packet of things, I have a nylon strap with a small bar going through it forming a T... what is this for? I think it came out of the awning bag... if that is where it is from, how do I use it?
4.) In my packet of things, I have a flexible drill attachment... looks like it could be good for nut driver or something... what is it for?
5.) If I go some place with full hook up... does my toilet flush and run through the black tank? If so, should i poor that chemical in the tank?
6.) What can I and can't I do in the form of modifications so I don't void the warranty? I was thinking of putting pegboard in the front storage area which would require drilling wood strips into the studs then attaching the pegboard to my wood strips. Also was thinking of mounting a towel rack into the side wall under the medicine cabinet... can I drill into the wall or should I just use adhesive. Lastly, I was thinking of mounting things under the cabinets, but I should reinforce before I do so... if I drill under the cabinets, does that void anything.

OK, I think that is it for now

Old 07-15-2011, 10:26 PM   #2

A couple of answers I can give you...
-the metal blind by the sink and often also the stove is intended to be wipeable and fire safe.
- the strap with the letter T is for the awning. You slide it into the track, in order to pull the awning down. You should also have a long metal stick with a hook on the end that works with it. You will need to read the instructions on that one... For detailed info.
- we have used liquid nails, panel adhesive and also little plastic plugs that spread open when you put in a screw... All of these work well when there is no stud to nail into... But use a stud finder first... Even one can help...
I am not sure about your other questions... But I will enjoy hearing the answers too.

Lady Wendolyn

2003 21 ft Forrest River Shamrock

Manitoba Canada
ladywendolyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 10:58 PM   #3
Site Team - Lou

Well here goes my best guess

1.) If I get a flat, where do I place the jack to jack the trailer and change the tire?

If you use a bottle jack place it under the frame. Support the axle whose tire you are going to change with a jack stand while changing the tire. Standard practice of breaking the torque on the lug nuts BEFORE you lift the wheel to change it; and lower to the ground for final torque, not in the air.

2.) Why is the blind over the sink a metal blind when all the other are cloth?

Not so much over the sink; think near the stove.
Metal blinds don't catch fire.

3.) In my packet of things, I have a nylon strap with a small bar going through it forming a T... what is this for? I think it came out of the awning bag... if that is where it is from, how do I use it?

If the motor fails that is used to manually retract and extend the awning.

4.) In my packet of things, I have a flexible drill attachment... looks like it could be good for nut driver or something... what is it for?

It is the tool that is attached to the wardrobe slide motor stub shaft and when hooked up to a power screwdriver or drill can run the wardrobe slide in and out should the motor fail.

5.) If I go some place with full hook up... does my toilet flush and run through the black tank? If so, should i poor that chemical in the tank?

If you have full hookups, always keep the black dump tank valve closed until it is full by the light. Then dump. Never dump a partially full tank if you can help it. I always put 2 capfuls of liquid Calgon; 2 capfuls of laundry soap; and about 2 gallons of water into the blank tank after every dump. I seldom use chemicals unless it gets smelly when dry camping.

6.) What can I and can't I do in the form of modifications so I don't void the warranty?

If you listen to the dealers... Nothing.

In reality, as long as you do not change the structure or functionality of the component you should be OK. Drilling holes into the frame or bolting on bumper or pin box items will pretty much shoot the frame warranty. Cutting holes into the roof will also be a bad idea. Major renovations inside may effect resale value as well. Sometimes NOT for the better.

I was thinking of putting pegboard in the front storage area which would require drilling wood strips into the studs then attaching the pegboard to my wood strips. Also was thinking of mounting a towel rack into the side wall under the medicine cabinet... can I drill into the wall or should I just use adhesive. Lastly, I was thinking of mounting things under the cabinets, but I should reinforce before I do so... if I drill under the cabinets, does that void anything.

Mods like these will only effect resale or warranty if they go wrong. Just as an overloaded cabinet falling off the wall would not be covered; mods of this nature are cosmetic and not warranty issues (not covered).

Lou and Laura with Bella - German Short Hair Pointer
2008 GMC Sierra 2500HD Crewcab SB Allison Duramax
2010 Flagstaff 8526RLWS - Superglide 3300
HAM CALLSIGN - KC3FFW
Herk7769 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2011, 12:09 AM   #4

[QUOTE=herk7769;118394]1.) If I get a flat, where do I place the jack to jack the trailer and change the tire?

If you use a bottle jack place it under the frame. Support the axle whose tire you are going to change with a jack stand while changing the tire. Standard practice of breaking the torque on the lug nuts BEFORE you lift the wheel to change it; and lower to the ground for final torque, not in the air.

Herk7769
I have a double axle trailer. Do I place the jack under the axle to lift it? My frame sits high off the ground and my bottle jack isn't tall enouph to reach it, even if it were, would I not bend the frame by lifting it this way?
2005 Ford Excursion 6 liter Turbo Diesel
Bilcin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2011, 12:48 AM   #5

If I had a double axle I'd by one of these: Camco Mfg Inc - Trailer-Aid - Towing Accessories - Camping World

However for reasons of height I bought a cheap floor jack to keep in the trailer; and when/if I need to change a tire then I will be making sure to use the frame.

"The trouble with quotes on the Internet is that it is nearly impossible to discern if they are genuine." - Abraham Lincoln
ken0042 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2011, 06:31 AM   #6

20 ton jack
Yamaha 3000iseb generator:Progressive Ind. EMS-HW30C : Eastern Ontario
Nights Camped: 2011(21) 2012(36) 2013 (17) 2014 (18) 2015 (18) 2016 (36) 2017 (32)
fonzie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2011, 07:21 AM   #7
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bilcin View Post
[QUOTE=herk7769;118394]1.) If I get a flat, where do I place the jack to jack the trailer and change the tire?

Herk7769
I have a double axle trailer. Do I place the jack under the axle to lift it? My frame sits high off the ground and my bottle jack isn't tall enouph to reach it, even if it were, would I not bend the frame by lifting it this way?
The frame is designed to support the entire weight of the camper. There is no more stress this way than putting half the weight of the camper on one axle (100% overload) while you change the tire.

Lou and Laura with Bella - German Short Hair Pointer
2008 GMC Sierra 2500HD Crewcab SB Allison Duramax
2010 Flagstaff 8526RLWS - Superglide 3300
HAM CALLSIGN - KC3FFW
Herk7769 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2011, 10:40 AM   #8

What size bottle jack should I get? Base weight is 6330. Would a 4 ton work or should I go bigger?
Old 07-16-2011, 11:15 AM   #9

I would suggest you do NOT lift your camper by the frame. This is a light weight frame and you risk damaging it. I would suggest the aid that was linked above or make a ramp out of lynx levelers for the other wheel.

BTW, the same goes for your electric stabilizer jacks on the TT. Once they get to the ground, snug them up a bit and be done with it. You do NOT want to lift the TT with them.
Old 07-16-2011, 04:43 PM   #10

So let me get this correct, if I get a flat on my double axle trailer, I can simply drive up onto a few 2x8s under the wheel that is not flat and this will also lift the flat tire up so I can change the tire?

2005 Ford Excursion 6 liter Turbo Diesel
Bilcin is offline   Reply With Quote