Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-21-2012, 05:03 PM   #1

Send a message via Skype™ to weiman1983
Smile New Lacrosse!

After months of shopping around and looking at tons of different trailers we finally signed the papers today. We are the proud new owners of a Lacrosse 318BHS Touring Edition. Now we just have to make it through a couple more months of winter before we can hit the campground.
weiman1983 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 06:24 PM   #2

Congrats on your new tt and welcome to the forum.
The 318bhs seems to be very popular. Has to be PT's best selling tt floorplan.
You can spend the next couple of months getting it ready for camping, such as loading gear & non perishable supplies and of course, researching campgrounds and making plans!

Enjoy and happy camping!
grhodes50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 06:57 PM   #3

Congrats! Nice Choice.......But I am biased.
Old 01-22-2012, 08:29 AM   #4

New LaCrosse

Congratulations on your new LaCrosse. We just got our new 2010 303RKS Thursday and got it home Friday. Spent all day Saturday in it just looking around and planning where to store all of our gear out of our old Wildwood.

Good luck with your new trailer and have many happy and safe trips.

Let's all keep talking LaCrosse!!
Cedar Creek Sams President

RVing is a tough job,BUT someone has to do it!
Wildwood Danny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 10:40 AM   #5

Welcome and congrats on a nice choice, the 318BHS Touring Edition. It's one solid (lightweight) unit and easily tows. I mentioned one warranty item re my cargo door, entrance side, to be addressed but otherwise love the unit. Looking to buy a custom tyvek cover for winter storage.....one of the unforunates not allowed by HOA to park the PT in my yard. Let me know if you notice any subtle problems with your new Lacrosse. Note aside, I received wonderful information in this forum about memory foam tops for the bed and bought the 4" foam, comfort for the Missus. Something for you to consider as well.
Again welcome and enjoy the ride.

gator14 (member 114)
2012 Lacrosse 318BHS Touring Edition
2009 F150 S-Crew XLT
Locust Grove, VA.
gator14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 11:26 AM   #6

Thanks everybody. We can't wait to get our trailer home. Unfortunately it may be a few weeks since our RV show is on right now and the only TE they had on their lot is there right now. So we have to wait until they can go get one fron their inventiry lot. I'm happy to hear that it tows nice and that no one has had major issues with the trailer. We're moving up from a 23' Jayco so it's going to be nice having all that extra room. Parks open in 3 1/2 months....
Old 01-23-2012, 11:15 PM   #7

Congrats, We sure love ours. We had to wait awile to bring ours home, it was painful but worth it. You will love the way it tows also.
HAARubicon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 11:20 PM   #8

We finally got our new trailer home! After a 2 hr walk thru with our dealer I have to say that I think this is a great trailer. Thay were able to answer all our questions on the trailer and our WDH. Set everything up for us perfectly. All the information they gave us was right on line with the threads I've been reading here.

Although we only had to drive about 20 km to get home, I found this trailer towed fantastic. It pulled much better than our 23ft Jayco.
Old 02-12-2012, 12:49 PM   #9

What are you towing it with?
bobbyg123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 03:16 PM   #10

I'm towing it with a 2010 F150 crew cab 6.5 ft box. I don't have the max trailer tow but with the 5.4 and the 3.73 gears it pulls great!
Old 02-12-2012, 06:37 PM   #11

Congrats on the new 318BHS. We bought ours last week, did the paper work yesterday and take it home next week. I haul it with a 2009 F150 FX4 with the HD tow package. The truck has the anti sway system and I installed air bags. I've read several articles on Ford sites that say that you don't need the Equalizer Hitch/Sway bar if you have this system. Any one pulled a 318BHS with or without the bar?
freedom 750 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 08:24 PM   #12
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by freedom 750 View Post
Congrats on the new 318BHS. We bought ours last week, did the paper work yesterday and take it home next week. I haul it with a 2009 F150 FX4 with the HD tow package. The truck has the anti sway system and I installed air bags. I've read several articles on Ford sites that say that you don't need the Equalizer Hitch/Sway bar if you have this system. Any one pulled a 318BHS with or without the bar?

just to clarify, the Equal-i-zer WDH system doesn't have sway bars. it has weight bars and controls sway with its hitch head and the weight bars on L-clamps.
there are no removable bars.

sounds like you're talking about a basic low-end WDH that uses an friction anti sway bar.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 10:03 AM   #13

Well it's great to know someone else is towing with a F150. I have the 3.55LS and the 5.4L and it handles the trailers weight without struggling through the auto 6 speed. But I will keep in mind the 3.73 gear in the future. The integrated brake control in the ford helps with smooth braking.
Congrats and enjoy your PT.

gator14
2012 LaCrosse 318BHS T.E.
'09 F150 S-Crew XLT
Husky 4 point WDH
Old 02-15-2012, 10:38 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by freedom 750 View Post
Firstly, congrats on your purchase....you'll love the LaCrosse. As far as your question with the equalizer hitch/sway bar and Ford's anti-sway system....My personal opinion based on Fords articles is that the TV's anti-sway system in only a small portion to the bigger picture of controlling sway. Therefore, being skeptical I had the Husky 4 point WDH installed. It helps the TV with sway control and the ability to adjust the weight distribution through adjustment points. So which equalizer hitch did you install? Steel bars with "L" clamps or round bars attached to adjustable chains?
Well, enjoy your LaCrosse as those of us LaCrosse owners will.

gator14
Old 02-15-2012, 10:48 AM   #15

I have air bags. They will lift the back end of the truck to keep it level. I have been pulling a 5000 lb trailer with out any sway bars. Been hit with wind and almost every driving situation there is out there and it rides true as an arrow behind the truck. I'll give the new trailer a test run to see how it handles before putting sway bars on it.
Old 02-15-2012, 11:27 AM   #16

The air bags will level your tv, but they will not transfer some of the tongue weight to the front axle. A wd hitch will. This not only levels your tv, but it helps to keep the front end of your tv from "floating".
There is no need to add sway bars if you purchase a brand with built in sway control like the Equal-i-zer and Reese Dual Cam. Not only do they level your tv, but they do an excellent job with sway issues. Especially in high wind conditions and when semi's pass.

Is your 5,000 lb trailer over 35' long and approx 11' tall? If not I'll bet you'll feel a difference towing the 318bhs.

Keep us up to date on how things go.
grhodes50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 11:38 AM   #17

My other trailer is an 18' toy hauler. It is 3500 lb but it doesn't like to travel without a toy in it - hence the 5000 weight. I had a new WHD sitting in my garage for a long time but the trailer pulled so well without it I sold it. The transfer of weight to the front wheels is the best reason to put one on for this trailer. I'll give it some more thought. For this year we plan to do all our camping within one hour drive from home. We can get to the ocean, mountains, lakes and dozens of campgrounds from our home in Vancouver, BC.

Next year we plan to do a west coast trip with our kids and grand kids from BC to California. By then the trailer will have everything it needs to keep us all safe.
Old 02-16-2012, 08:55 AM   #18

A question for 2011-2012 LaCrosse and LaCrosse Tour. Edition owners. Has anyone noticed that the width of the two facing cushions on the dinnette when pushed back is about 1/2" short of the frame edge? The Missus noticed the gap and the difference with the longer cushion, which fits perfectly right to the edge of the frame. I stained the board to see if it would make a difference, but it didn't. I would like to address this issue with Prime Time, if others have noticed the same thing.
One other item of concern is the (new) battery. The trailer sat for 12 days and when I went to hook-up, the battery was depleted. I had to connect my truck to charge the battery. Is this a normal senario with the battery? Or should I disconnect it, take the battery home with me, and keep it under trickle charge prior to use? Any suggestion?
Thanks All.

gator14
2012 LaCrosse 318BHS Touring Edition
Old 02-16-2012, 09:12 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by gator14
One other item of concern is the (new) battery. The trailer sat for 12 days and when I went to hook-up, the battery was depleted. I had to connect my truck to charge the battery. Is this a normal senario with the battery? Or should I disconnect it, take the battery home with me, and keep it under trickle charge prior to use? Any suggestion?
Thanks All.

gator14
2012 LaCrosse 318BHS Touring Edition
The only thing that i can think of is your carbon monoxide detector. If my trailer will be parked for a few days I always disconnect the battery since the CO2 does not shut off and if parked long enough will kill your battery. I noticed this with my Jayco so I assume the Lacrosse is the same.

I will look at the cushions in my dinette next time I'm in my trailer and keep you posted.
Old 02-16-2012, 09:21 AM   #20

We noticed it a little but just kind of shifted things around till the cushions look right, I am sure they will relax out over time and sitting on them. I don't think ours is quite as bad as what you have described.
When a trailer sits it has a number of little things that pull power. Things like the tank and battery life sensors, the propane leak detector, the little light in the electrical panel, etc.
I have set up a quick disconnect on the positive wire to save my battery during storage.
But the best thing I have seen lately and i cant wait to get one, is the solar powered battery charger and battery maintainer by Battery Tender. It keeps it charged without overcharging it, unlike just leaving it plugged into shore power. Because it is solar, it can be sitting in the middle of nowhere and keep a charge.
HAARubicon is offline   Reply With Quote