Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-26-2015, 11:35 PM   #1

New Primetime owner!

Hello all, I recently purchased a new Tracer Air 250 trailer (I pick it up on Wednesday). We love the unique floor plan and super light weight. My only concern with the trailer was the awefull couch. When you sit on it, it slopes forward and you basically slide out of it. Is this just the way these tri-fold units are? We won't ever be using it as a sleeping surface, so its annoying that I can't even sit on it. The back tilts back and the seat bottom tilts down when you sit on it. I really wish it was a jackknife sofa since they seem to stay in the proper sitting shape.

When I pick it up on Wednesday after the inspection and orientation, can I ask for it to be replaced/swapped out? The unit I bought is the only one on the lot of this model, so I did not have a chance to look at another one to see if its how they all are or not? The salesman suggested putting a 2x4 under the front of it, but if I'm buying a 24k trailer brand new, I don't think I should have to stick an ugly 2x4 under the front of the leather couch to fix what could be a manufacturer defect?

Also, I noticed that the queen bed does not have gas struts to lift it to access the under bed storage, and its freaking heavy. Is this something that can be added? The bottom bunk of the double bunks in the rear also does not even have a lift hold under the mattress to lift the plywood and access the storage underneath.
coolzzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2015, 03:38 AM   #2

We have a Tracer 255 with the Lane couch that pulls out to a queen bed and when its was set up as a couch it was great but when you turned it into a bed it did not lay flat.I had some other stuff that needed done and had them adjust it and now it works as it should and lays nice and flat.There is only me and the wife now so we asked about them switching it out for recliners and they said no but we are still thinking of doing it ourselves.

As for the struts our bed has 2 of them on there and it lifts no problem.If it were me I would tell them to fix these things or the deal is off but seeing that you already picked it up you can put the struts on yourself just use struts made to hold up the hatch on back of cars or take a look at another one with struts and get the part number and get them some place.
searay245se is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2015, 09:33 AM   #3

We don't pick it up till Wednesday, not sure if it should have gas struts as a factory installed option though. We looked at lots of other trailers and it was hit or miss. Although most non-entry level trailers had the struts and going by price alone, the tracer is not what I would consider entry level.

Is your sofa the tri fold type? I really liked the keystone Hideout model of couch that was two pieces, where the back folded over and down and became the legs. It was very comfortable as a couch and did not dump you on the floor.
Old 04-27-2015, 08:00 PM   #4
Cummins Retired

We've got a 2015 Tracer AIR 255. We hate our couch also. Doesn't come close to sitting comfortable, it's exactly as you say. Trying all sorts of things with it to modify it, not having a lot of luck. Eventually may try to replace with a jack-knife couch. Still experimenting. As for the struts, ours are 2 and are no problem to raise, just like Searay said. If you find a good answer to the couch, I'll be watching this post to see it.
Old 04-27-2015, 10:08 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommybill View Post
We've got a 2015 Tracer AIR 255. We hate our couch also. Doesn't come close to sitting comfortable, it's exactly as you say. Trying all sorts of things with it to modify it, not having a lot of luck. Eventually may try to replace with a jack-knife couch. Still experimenting. As for the struts, ours are 2 and are no problem to raise, just like Searay said. If you find a good answer to the couch, I'll be watching this post to see it.
Crap, that's exactly what I didn't want to hear. I was hoping there was a mod, or some adjustment to make it workable. That's a good portion of the reason we chose this floor plan for the extra seating. If I can't even sit on the dang couch its really going to bother me. That, coupled with the lack of a ladder for the bunks and easily accessible under (rear) bed storage and I'm second guessing the whole endeavor.

We got lucky in that the dealer had a finance deal fall through on their other same model trailer. I went and looked at it, and it has the gas struts under the front bed, couch is less sloped and it didn't have the sloppy workmanship as the one we were slated to buy. Dealer said they will swap us no problem. I crawled in the front storage bay though, and noticed the aluminum framing is only welded on two sides, like spot welds? One of them even looked cracked. Has anyone had issues with this in the tracer line? I looked at a cougar x-lite line of trailers and its aluminum frame was welded on all sides of the square tubing. It was a few hundred pounds heavier but for better build quality.....?? Its not too late for me to unwind the deal, I haven't closed on the loan yet till I sign the final papers on Wednesday.
Old 04-27-2015, 10:11 PM   #6
Site Team

Had a jack-knife couch in our tracer and hated it. Real POS

Zelda the campin dog
Platokidd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2015, 10:39 PM   #7

We had a jacknife sofa in our last TT. See if you or the dealer can take it out and put it back in. Out old TT arrived with two cuts on the seat fabric. The bottom had to be removed to replace it. When they re installed the bottom it didn't sit the same as when it was delivered from the factory and it had to be re-installed. You might be in luck. As for sleeping on it. Two small kids maybe ok. One adult - the thing doesn't lay flat enough and there's a bar down the middle because of the frame. The dog liked sleeping on though. 😉

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
dj3spots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2015, 10:01 AM   #8
Cummins Retired

One thing we tried which helped, but still not good, is we took the hinges off the back of the couch upright and just put that down in the groove and put the cushion against it. It helps, but it still does not sit comfortably. With the slide-out not going to the floor, you can't just remove it and recliners. We are even considering buying a loveseat and cutting the bottom off of it and putting it there. Problem we have with buying a jackknife sofa (don't need the sleeping space) is finding one to sit on before buying. Can order, but want to try it first. Camping world has some in catalog but not in any showrooms. It was almost a show-stopper for us, but we loved everything else and figure sooner or later we will find a solution. Which I could help but we are still searching for an answer ourselves!!
Old 04-28-2015, 12:17 PM   #9

We had thought of trying that very same thing but if your results are not good we will be in the same boat. Love the layout, hate the couch. We are now thinking of bagging it entirely since final papers have not been signed yet, and ordering a Jayco x254 with the quad bunks up front and king slide out. They cost the same or slightly less but have a longer warranty (2 years) and weigh the same.....
Old 04-28-2015, 01:23 PM   #10

Yeah why is it they all seem to have horrible furniture and very hard items to get aftermarket. We got a nice Sofa Couch with our Roo but the dinette is like sitting on 3 sheets of plywood and 2x4's so uncomfortable

2014 Ford F-150 FX4 Crew 4X4 EB 3.5

2015 Roo 23IKSS
2015 (3) Nights Camped

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
Old 04-28-2015, 05:42 PM   #11
Cummins Retired

Redoing the back helped, plus we added 3 small blocks across the front (painted brown to blend in) to raise the front and it almost works, but not quite. Plus the wife has back problems too so still working on a solution. I wish you luck, we had looked but hadn't come across another one we liked. Always something about each one that we did not like. On our Tracer Air, we also redid the bed so now we have our own king size, about 72 by 78. Makes a world of difference from what they put in. Wish we had seen the Jayco 254 before we bought over the winter. The queen beds most have are really nothing but a full size. Oh well, nothing is perfect, have to modify something. Good luck !
Old 05-03-2015, 08:25 PM   #12
Cummins Retired

Coolizzy,
How was you 1st time out in the new camper?? Any luck with the couch?? We just got back from a week trip and think we have our couch usable now. We did not plan to use the bed part of the couch, so I ended up removing the black frame and white board that are part of the bed when opened up, put the back down in the rear groove as I mentioned earlier, PLUS what really helped was we took the couch seat apart and turn it 180 degrees and put the foot board on the other side, plus put 2" high density foam under the seats for support. Could send you some pictures when I get a chance if interested, had to really rearrange the parts plus eliminate the bed portion.
Old 05-03-2015, 08:46 PM   #13

Got back this afternoon. LOVED IT!! Despite my fears, my truck pulled the trailer like a champ through the mountains and we had the trailer loaded to its GVWR with gear, full water tanks, generator, tools, etc...

Anyway, we had mentioned the couch issue to the dealer and before we picked it up, they made some changes. For starters, they removed the plastic bumpers that were attached to the metal U shaped bar visible when you lift the couch cushion. They then put 10 or so self tapping screws through the square tube bar and into the wood below to stabilize the hinged rear cushion. After the family pretty much all bounced on it during our stay, it seems to have settled itself down and is nice and flat. I still plan to install some 1" rubber bumpers under the front edge for that extra little bit of upward tilt on the seat cushion.

All in all though, the trailer was great. We did, however, discover that one of the floor vents produces no heat whatsoever. I think its hose is pinched or torn somewhere in the underbelly. I exposed the furnace while camping and tried swapping hoses from the working floor register and there was no change in air flow so its definitely something with that tube. I'll be calling to make an appointment tomorrow and hope they are not too backed up, heading out again in 3 weeks to do it again.
Old 05-04-2015, 08:33 AM   #14

I have a 250 air and guarantee the hose is probably ripped. If you drop some of the undebelly you will see the front floor register hose gets smashed between the frame and underbelly. You will also see water lines and electric not secure all over. I actually straightened some of this out on mine. I also agree my couch is not the most comfy. The way it is built in limits options so I would love to see someone who solves this. I have been over this trailer with a fine tooth comb so if you have any questions let me know. I also have a bunch of mods done to it.
sugarjohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2015, 10:01 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarjohnson View Post
I have a 250 air and guarantee the hose is probably ripped. If you drop some of the undebelly you will see the front floor register hose gets smashed between the frame and underbelly. You will also see water lines and electric not secure all over. I actually straightened some of this out on mine. I also agree my couch is not the most comfy. The way it is built in limits options so I would love to see someone who solves this. I have been over this trailer with a fine tooth comb so if you have any questions let me know. I also have a bunch of mods done to it.
Did you fix the vent hose yourself or have it taken care of by the dealer? I don't want to be without the trailer for long (camping again in three weeks). The underbelly is all one big piece and the "passenger side" of the trailer where the vent line is most likely damaged is also held up by the steel pipe gas line that runs beneath the trailer all the way to the rear bumper. Doesn't seem like simply unbolting the plastic belly will allow it to drop because of the fixed gas line?

Also, not sure if it's just mine, but the vent in the bathroom never gets warm, regardless of how long the furnace runs it just blows cool air. Doesn't seem like it's that far from the furnace that the air cools off that fast? Maybe it's not hooked to anything and the excess air pressure from the underbelly is coming up through it instead (maybe it's pinched or ripped underneath too)?

I'd love to know what mods you've done, next thing on my list is a ladder for the top bunk.
Old 05-04-2015, 10:26 AM   #16

Yes I fixed it myself. I dropped the gas line! It sucked but I had to get to some other things anyway. I assumed the vent you referred to was the one by the bed correct? My bath vent does get warm. They heat the underbelly by running two smaller tubes into the space and pumping heat in. Not the best since the underbelly is not sealed but oh well. I have thought about capping these at the furnance since we don't winter camp.

Like any TT they have small issues. I'm handy and can fix anything but it is annoying how fast they build these and take short cuts. Overall love the TT. Fits our family great.

Mods:
Removed spare tire and mounted undrneath trailer.BAL hide a spare
LED lights inside and outside.
New TV mount that articulates.
Maxxfann in main vent
Dual 6v batteries
Ez-flex suspension
Satelite radio
New outlets that have integrated usb charge ports
BAL lock arm stabilizers
DIY scissor jack foot pads
DIY hot water tank drain
Siphon 360 vent stack covers
Husky remote power tongue jack
Oxygenics shower head
DIY water filter mount to underside of TT
USB charge ports in kids bunks
Tailgater satelite, although don't use it much!
Weingard TV signal meter
Changed the bath vent cover to smoke color
Weingard Sensar IV TV antenna
Hardwired surge guard
Wireless backup camera
Stove cover
TPMS system

Best Mod
2014 Silverado 6.2L with its own list of mods!
Old 05-04-2015, 10:33 AM   #17

Quote:
Yes I fixed it myself. I dropped the gas line! It sucked but I had to get to some other things anyway. I assumed the vent you referred to was the one by the bed correct? My bath vent does get warm. They heat the underbelly by running two smaller tubes into the space and pumping heat in. Not the best since the underbelly is not sealed but oh well. I have thought about capping these at the furnance since we don't winter camp.

Like any TT they have small issues. I'm handy and can fix anything but it is annoying how fast they build these and take short cuts. Overall love the TT. Fits our family great.

Mods:
Removed spare tire and mounted undrneath trailer.BAL hide a spare
LED lights inside and outside.
New TV mount that articulates.
Maxxfann in main vent
Dual 6v batteries
Ez-flex suspension
Satelite radio
New outlets that have integrated usb charge ports
BAL lock arm stabilizers
DIY scissor jack foot pads
DIY hot water tank drain
Siphon 360 vent stack covers
Husky remote power tongue jack
Oxygenics shower head
DIY water filter mount to underside of TT
USB charge ports in kids bunks
Tailgater satelite, although don't use it much!
Weingard TV signal meter
Changed the bath vent cover to smoke color
Weingard Sensar IV TV antenna
Hardwired surge guard
Wireless backup camera
Stove cover
TPMS system

Best Mod
2014 Silverado 6.2L with its own list of mods!
Wow, you weren't kidding about the mods. I've done the LED conversion and eying the 6v battery upgrade soon. Curious about your DIY hot water tank drain, and what type of rv mount you changed to? Also, did you put a backup camera on the trailer itself or on your truck? I have the truck one but a trailer unit would be soo helpful when backing unto my storage spot it's quite narrow. Also, how did you get USB ports in the bunks, that's my chief complain that there are no power outlets in there like we saw on some of the other brands....
Old 05-04-2015, 11:43 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolzzy View Post
Wow, you weren't kidding about the mods. I've done the LED conversion and eying the 6v battery upgrade soon. Curious about your DIY hot water tank drain, and what type of rv mount you changed to? Also, did you put a backup camera on the trailer itself or on your truck? I have the truck one but a trailer unit would be soo helpful when backing unto my storage spot it's quite narrow. Also, how did you get USB ports in the bunks, that's my chief complain that there are no power outlets in there like we saw on some of the other brands....
Hot water drain: I used a fitting same size as pug adapted to a residential 1/4 turn shutoff attached to braided water line. Simply turn valve to drain and then tuck hose up inside.

TV mount:
Master Mount Locking Cantilever Mount, Small - McNaughton 94139 - TV Accessories - Camping World

Wireless Camera: Check out my post
http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...era-78873.html

USB in Bunks: Took power from the light in bottom bunk. One in bottom and ran power up wall to top bunk. The actual combo AC/usb outlets can be had at home depot.

Leviton Decora 15 Amp Combination Duplex Receptacle and USB Charger - Black-R05-T5632-0BE - The Home Depot

https://www.bluesea.com/products/101...Charger_Socket
Cheap from China on Ebay.
Old 05-04-2015, 01:06 PM   #19

Quote:
Hot water drain: I used a fitting same size as pug adapted to a residential 1/4 turn shutoff attached to braided water line. Simply turn valve to drain and then tuck hose up inside.

TV mount:
Master Mount Locking Cantilever Mount, Small - McNaughton 94139 - TV Accessories - Camping World

Wireless Camera: Check out my post
http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...era-78873.html

USB in Bunks: Took power from the light in bottom bunk. One in bottom and ran power up wall to top bunk. The actual combo AC/usb outlets can be had at home depot.

Leviton Decora 15 Amp Combination Duplex Receptacle and USB Charger - Black-R05-T5632-0BE - The Home Depot

https://www.bluesea.com/products/101...Charger_Socket
Cheap from China on Ebay.
I like that mount better than the one I have? Might have to buy that one
Old 05-04-2015, 01:09 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by wicked1 View Post
I like that mount better than the one I have? Might have to buy that one
Works well and stays locked during travel.