Old 10-18-2014, 09:25 PM   #1
New Tip: fridge not starting on gas

So, I made my first boondocking trip and could not get my fridge to start on gas. I knew it worked once because the tech @ the dealership left it running once and used up some gas before I noticed and the fridge was cold.

I was lucky that I had a sliver of a cell signal and called Coach Net. They let me talk to an RV tech and he diagnosed it as air in the line because I had refilled my tanks.

His tip: bleed the air from the line by using the stove. The fridge will only try to ignite the gas when it is turned ON. It won't retry if you leave it on (my mistake was thinking it would). Turn the gas back off and then slowly turn it on.... like 1/4 turn and wait 10 seconds, then another quarter turn, etc. Then try to get the fridge to start by turning off and back on (repeat up to 6 times if necessary). If this doesn't do it, wait awhile and try turning the gas off and starting the process again.

This worked the first time I tried it -- got my gas on and saved the trip (plus a lot of food in the fridge).

Many kudos to Coach Net for taking a phone call at 9pm on a Friday night.

2014 Crusader 296BHS
2015 GMC 2500HD Denali
kohai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2014, 04:46 AM   #2
Yay fixed stuff!

And thanks for sharing. I'll file this away in my box of tricks.

2005 Dodge Ram 2500, 4x4
2007 Rockwood Signature Ultralite, 31'
Zhanna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2014, 05:46 AM   #3
Site Team - Lou
There is a safety circuit in the main board that will not allow the gas solenoid valve to open after 3 failed "light" attempts.

You reset the circuit by turning the system OFF; then back on again.

You should try to determine WHY the system failed to light before re-attempting another 3 light attempts due to propane (if it was available) filling the area around the burner tube.

If the gas DOES light then, it will be a "hard start" with a bit of a BOOM.

Each DSI failed light attempt takes about 3 minutes. There is a signal to open the solenoid; a short purge of propane; sparking; wait about 15 seconds for flame sensor to detect flame; shutdown sparking; close the solenoid valve; wait 1 minute; then retry.

After 3rd attempt; lockout till reset. The Check light will remain on the entire time.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	913th 3rd Annual Picnic and Camper photos 031.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	468.7 KB
ID:	64972  

Lou and Laura with Bella - German Short Hair Pointer
2008 GMC Sierra 2500HD Crewcab SB Allison Duramax
2010 Flagstaff 8526RLWS - Superglide 3300
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote

fridge, gas