Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-24-2018, 08:06 AM   #1

New to this any suggestions...

We just purchased a 2015 Lacrosse Luxury Lite M-329BHT for our first camper. It seems to be a really nice trailer. We are excited to go camping with it. We did get a extended warranty for 5 years. I hope we made a good choice. It is at the dealer currently getting state inspected, hitch work, run through thier shop to check everything, and set up. We should pick it up end of this week, or next week. Any things we should look for, or watch out for. Any tips, or suggestions will be welcome, as we are new to this.
AndyK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2018, 08:16 AM   #2
Site Team

If you have not signed paperwork yet. Do a thorough walk through and inspection. Video any operation/demo you think you may forget down the road. Make sure everything is the way you want it before you sign paperwork. Once they get paid you loose any leverage you may have for timely repairs. Do not accept 'Take it and use it then bring it back with a list of needed repairs" The RV industry is very busy and a return for warranty repairs could mean you are without it for much of the camping season. Read your warranty carefully some extended warranties require regular dealer performed maintenance. Make sure the dealer gives you a build sheet ( list of all appliances with make, model and serial number). This is shipped with every RV from factory. If you find minor issues once you own it, it is best to handle them yourself if you can. It is better to spend an hour or two making a repair at home than traveling to and from a dealer and sitting on a lot for weeks.

Most of all enjoy your new toy.

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2018, 08:33 AM   #3

Is this a Used unit? If so a lot of the above desires are "Wishful Thinking"! I take it you have "Bought/Paid For/this unit"? Youroo!!
Old 07-24-2018, 08:48 AM   #4

Welcome to the forum from MN.
Video the pdi is a good idea. Ours lasted over an hour, and I forgot 1/3 of what the guy told me about how stuff works.
We bought our first TT last fall and knowing what I know now- make sure you know where your hot water heater bypass is, and know where your fresh water drain (and low point drains) is. That stuff took me forever to find even with the stickers on the side of the trailer. There are also a lot of videos online (and FR's website) about how to do stuff. Make sure you understand how the WDH (weight distribution hitch) works so you can adjust it after loading your gear in the trailer. Mine was spot on for the empty trailer, but needed adjustment after we loaded up (which increased the tongue weight). Have them explain how the trailer brake works.
Have fun! and expect to make mistakes. I had to winterize mine twice because i forgot the low point drains the first time
MillMitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2018, 08:53 AM   #5

Quote:
It is at the dealer currently getting state inspected, hitch work, run through thier shop to check everything, and set up.
All of that will happen when you get there... NOTHING will be done ahead of time that you think they are doing... look for water damage and loose/cracked roof sealant... YES get a ladder and get on the roof of the trailer... do NOT take their word for it... most dealers push stuff out the door and it becomes YOUR problem...

2014 Shamrock 183
2014 RAM 1500 Bighorn Crew Cab, HEMI, 3.21 gears, 8 Spd, 4X4 TST TPMS
rsdata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2018, 09:10 AM   #6

It is a used trailer. Dealer said they already checked everything, and it is "Certified Used". They have all this in writing and yes we signed papers already. He is throwing the hitch and hitch work in with the deal. They run it through the shop again after it gets Maryland inspected.(They use another shop for this). I'm dealing with the owner, and he is a great guy. He has gone out of his way to work this deal, but at the same time I'm trying to double check everything. He is still trying to make a sale, and information is my biggest thing right now. I have already walked on the roof to check it. I just want to try to catch anything right away like y'all said. That's why I joined this site. The dealer is also throwing a 90 day complete guarantee through them since it is Certified Used. We are trying to learn as much as possible.
Old 07-24-2018, 09:12 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyK View Post
It is a used trailer. Dealer said they already checked everything, and it is "Certified Used". They have all this in writing and yes we signed papers already. He is throwing the hitch and hitch work in with the deal. They run it through the shop again after it gets Maryland inspected.(They use another shop for this). I'm dealing with the owner, and he is a great guy. He has gone out of his way to work this deal, but at the same time I'm trying to double check everything. He is still trying to make a sale, and information is my biggest thing right now. I have already walked on the roof to check it. I just want to try to catch anything right away like y'all said. That's why I joined this site. The dealer is also throwing a 90 day complete guarantee through them since it is Certified Used. We are trying to learn as much as possible.
Also as far as I know the extended warranty doesn't require any yearly checks. I will double check that tho when we talk to him again.
Old 07-24-2018, 09:27 AM   #8

Download this PDI checklist and use it to make sure everything is up to snuff, and that you know how to operate everything:

Forest River Forums - Downloads - PDI Checklist

Ignore the hybrid stuff, since you aren't buying a hybrid.

2016 Mini Lite 2503S - tt (2015 - ???)
2011 Traverse LT, 3.6L, FWD
2009 Silverado 1500 Ext Cab, 5.3L, 4x4, 3.73
2016 Silverado 2500HD Dbl Cab, 6.0L 4x4, 4.10
rockfordroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2018, 09:28 AM   #9

Quote:
I'm dealing with the owner, and he is a great guy. He has gone out of his way to work this deal, but at the same time I'm trying to double check everything.
GREAT, I feel good for you... you must have found the most reputable and honest RV dealer on the entire east coast...

in two months when you have gotten your trailer and used it, please do another post telling everyone this "great guy" dealer's name and town... and give credit where credit is due...

2014 Shamrock 183
Old 07-24-2018, 09:51 AM   #10

I guess one should ask what tow vehicle are you using???... as I see that this unit has a hitch weight of 1,000# when loaded...

many new owners purchase a trailer and expect to pull it with an undersized tow vehicle... so I hope you are not in that category that takes the dealer's word for it that YOUR TV will pull it...

2014 Shamrock 183
Old 07-24-2018, 09:55 AM   #11
Site Team

profile shows F350 as TV

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2018, 12:16 PM   #12

I have a 2008 F-350 4x4 Powerstroke Harley Davidson SRW. It's a Crew Cab short bed truck with a 4.5" lift, and 37's. It's also has the fiberglass bed cover which is why I went with a TT. It has been deleted, and tuned. Only has about 76,000 miles on her. About 5,000 on a new fully built trans. She weighs about 8,100 lbs. Only thing could be better is it the was a dually...Oh well I think she'll pull it...lol
Old 07-24-2018, 12:39 PM   #13

I think it will too. You might want to give the dealer a heads up on the 4.5" lift so he has enough drop on the shank for the hitch. You might also ask him about sway control as well, depending on the WDH being used.
Enjoy the camper.
MillMitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2018, 12:42 PM   #14

Yeah when I stopped by the other day I was in it, and showed it to him. I was concerned about the lift too. I was also concerned about making the truck squat. I was thinking I might have to get air bags. He told me they would set the hitch for it, and it would be ok without them.
Old 07-24-2018, 12:52 PM   #15

Well sounds like you have it all under control then...

I hope all goes well and you let us know the dealer's name and how it all turned out after your first trip or two out...

2014 Shamrock 183
Old 07-24-2018, 12:56 PM   #16

I will definitely. Everything is great, so far. I'm just leary because of all the stories I've heard about other dealers.
Old 07-24-2018, 02:03 PM   #17
jkoenig24

READ AND REREAD THE FINE PRINT!!!!!

Many (most?) "Extended Warranties" (which are actually "Service Contracts",) often (usually?) REQUIRE extensive annual service which may require you to use a vendor they specify and, is likely to be very expensive. Miss even one of the "annual service" checks they require and, they'll claim you have NOT complied with your contractual obligations. They're off the hook and you're SOL. Most "extended service contracts" are not worth the high prices charged.
jkoenig24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2018, 02:09 PM   #18

Now the suggestion to video the walk through on procedures is a GREAT Tip. There are so many things to learn on your new rig as well as gives you a record of what was said by the dealer for any later discrepancies during walk through. The manual or online manuals are usually generalized to cover many models and lack a complete overview and operation of your rig. The walk through is supposed to cover all that.
rlh1957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2018, 02:50 PM   #19

Good info guys. This is what I need. The more info the better. I'll definitely have the wife video the walk through. Also I'll be asking more questions on the service contract. I asked once already about the yearly thing. I will ask again. I'll also look at it. It will be nice if things go as they say. Seems a lot of dealers don't stand behind what they say!
Old 07-24-2018, 04:53 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyK View Post
We just purchased a 2015 Lacrosse Luxury Lite M-329BHT for our first camper. It seems to be a really nice trailer. We are excited to go camping with it. We did get a extended warranty for 5 years. I hope we made a good choice. It is at the dealer currently getting state inspected, hitch work, run through thier shop to check everything, and set up. We should pick it up end of this week, or next week. Any things we should look for, or watch out for. Any tips, or suggestions will be welcome, as we are new to this.
Hey Andy. Contrats on the new camper. Hope you love it. I made a video for what to do when you go to pick up your camper. I've had a lot of good feedback on this. Worth your time to go look. No, I don't get paid on YouTube, I do this for fun. Michael https://youtu.be/XMlSuTnG93Q
mgarland48 is offline   Reply With Quote