Old 09-04-2018, 09:30 PM   #1
USAF Retired

Newbie mistake

My first trip out and all going well. Then I tried to open the door to the bedroom and this is where things went south. I had placed a big box on the bed before the trip and it had now fallen between the bed and the door that opens into the bedroom. If I could open the slide I could move the box and open the door. But, I canít get the door open to reach the slide button. Ok, is there a way to open the slide from outside, maybe use the crank. Nope, that doesnít work on the bedroom slide.
Iím about to cut a hole in the door when I decide to give the door one last hard push. Yea! I was able to crush the box enough to squeeze my arm into the bedroom and just reach the slide. Success.
So, watch what you put on the bed while traveling. You could end up with a worse situation than I had.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	C635D3D9-BDBE-45B1-B84B-9296531DCB00.jpg
Views:	135
Size:	252.7 KB
ID:	185489  

Cheno29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2018, 09:34 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheno29 View Post
My first trip out and all going well. Then I tried to open the door to the bedroom and this is where things went south. I had placed a big box on the bed before the trip and it had now fallen between the bed and the door that opens into the bedroom. If I could open the slide I could move the box and open the door. But, I canít get the door open to reach the slide button. Ok, is there a way to open the slide from outside, maybe use the crank. Nope, that doesnít work on the bedroom slide.
Iím about to cut a hole in the door when I decide to give the door one last hard push. Yea! I was able to crush the box enough to squeeze my arm into the bedroom and just reach the slide. Success.
So, watch what you put on the bed while traveling. You could end up with a worse situation than I had.

Wow, glad you didn't have to ruin the door and GREAT tip about securing EVERYTHING before bugging out!

8-year Travel Trailer RVers
2013 Forest River Rockwood Ultra-Lite 2904SS
2014 Toyota Tundra Maxcrew SR-5 TRD 4x4 (with Firestone airbags in the rear)
ColoradoRick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2018, 01:53 AM   #3

Glad you got in. Storing stuff on the bed seems simple, doesn't it? Until that box or 'stuff' ends up where it causes trouble. About the time I think we've made every mistake possible, we make another one. Sometimes we even repeat past mistakes.

Thanks for the reminder.

2015 Dynamax REV 24TB class C
2nd rig 2006 Toyota Tundra &
2010 Cikira 21RB 19' travel trailer
Reverse_snowbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2018, 04:57 AM   #4

Welcome to the forum from Georgia. Good tip. Glad it all went well in the end.

'17 Coachmen Chaparral
'17 Silverado 6.6L Duramax
Retired & Full Timer
KI4OVB
68 Whiskey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2018, 04:58 PM   #5

Welcome to the Prime Time group From Montgomery Alabama.
It's always an adventure when there is a mini earthquake going on in the camper. Our first trip with a kitchen behind the axles and "real dishes", we never thought about securing the cabinet doors. you can guess the out come of that. I'm really glad we decided on buy Corelle for the new trailer, we didn't lose a one. We velcro lock those doors now.
Old 09-09-2018, 04:35 PM   #6
waybeck2018

Found the travel trailer we wanted. Fits the bill. Then. took a closer look at the plumbing. To summarize, the underbelly plumbing is PEX, until it comes out at kitchen sink and outdoor kitchen sink. Then, they transition to PVC flexible hose. WHY!? Asked the dealer and he called the model rep. Model rep answered "because it is easier to install at the factory". This is not my first rodeo so I replied that PEX is flexible enough that it could have been installed throughout. The outdoor kitchen is especially susceptible to freezing. We camp year around so are concerned about that. Can anyone justify this poor decision at the factory level? We really do not want to "drain the lines" every evening, or even every week that we may not be on the road.
waybeck2018 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2018, 04:41 PM   #7
Site Team - Lou

I thought I was being helpful to the DW when I put slide baskets in the pantry shelves. That just means the slide basket is HEAVY when it hits the door and dumps its cargo on the floor.

Luckily the glass jar of Ragu was found rolling around the kitchen floor and not burst like a red hand grenade.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Camper and Ohio AF Museum 2012 306.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	276.9 KB
ID:	185935  
HAM CALLSIGN - KC3FFW
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2018, 01:51 PM   #8

Put a latch on the door. Baby latch?

Dwilcox is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags