Old 10-10-2011, 05:02 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by dstars99 View Post
The more I learn the more I need to know. Great info guys.

Where is best place to get maxxair covers? I purchased mine online at RVWholesalers.com RV Parts and Accessories*,*Results for MaxxAir I have made several purchase's from them and they shipped quickly, correctly and completely. I have also ordered from Tweetys.com - RV Parts & Accessories - RV Hitches - Warn Products - Search They have good prices and ship just as well.
What is a stinky slinky? Sewer hose. The cheap one that comes with a new tt isn't very good. The Rhino brand gets good reviews. That's what I use.
Will I need a portable drill with power stabilizers? No.
What type of assorted adapters (electrical, hoses)? For my water hoses I have a 90 elbow, a "Y" connection, an inline filter and a water regulator. You can buy these at wal mart or your dealer. Check closely, you get what you pay for.
Electrical I have the 25' 30 amp extension cord, a couple of 25' 12 gauge extention cords, a 50 amp to 30 amp adapater and a 20 amp to 30 amp adapter. The adapters don't change your amperage, they just allow you to plug into a 50 amp or 20 amp plug. You wil not be able to run much on the 20 amp plug.
For my sewer hose I have a rubber donut. This fits in the campgrounds sewer connection. You then place your sewer hose's elbow in the donut causing a seal which keeps odors from escaping from the sewer. I also have a short clear connection I hook up before my hose. This allows me to see when the black tank is flushed well. Rubber gloves and hand cleaner!

Are many using a battery disconnect? ???? Will a marine version work? Yes. Where is the best place to mount one? Your preference.
Where is the best place to get an extension cord? They sell the 25' 30 amp at wal mart. Probably as good a price as any. What guage is needed? I'm not sure of the guage, but the ones at wal mart are just as large, or at least seem to be, as the one that came with my tt.

Thanks for all the help. Triguy thanks for the PDI checklist. I feel better with an outline to go by. My packing list continues to grow after reading the replies here as well as others' posts. Now you understand why people say forget about the dry weight. It's just a starting point.
Hope this helps.

Gary & Trish
"PT Crew Member Since 11/2010"
2017 Prime Time Crusader 315RST TE 6.0 : 2007 Flagstaff 206ST MAC Series
2012 F-250 Lariat : FX4 : CC : SB : 6.7L Diesel : 3/55 Gears

2017 Nights Camped - 4
grhodes50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 10:39 AM   #12

Hitches???

As far as WD hitches go I see a great number of posts praising Equalizer brand. Since I will be pulling a fairly long trailer with an Armada, better sway control could be useful. What are ya'll using and what would you recommend? Thanks again.

Old 10-11-2011, 11:08 AM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by dstars99 View Post
As far as WD hitches go I see a great number of posts praising Equalizer brand. Since I will be pulling a fairly long trailer with an Armada, better sway control could be useful. What are ya'll using and what would you recommend? Thanks again.
Wow. Ok, at the risk of sounding like a member of the weight police, I would say you need to strongly consider a Propride or Hensley hitch for the following reasons:

Your trailer will weigh at least 7,500-8,000lbs loaded I would guess and is 34' long.

The Nissan Armada weighs less than your trailer by a lot and has a moderately short wheelbase. The tail is going to be trying to wag the dog with this setup. You've got a very capable truck but let's face facts.

That's my recommendation based on personal towing experience and the numbers. My current TV is a Sequoia that is about the same length and is heavier than your truck. I have always towed with an Equal-i-zer 4-point and think its a good fit for my set-up, but not yours. I would not tow up to 8,000lbs and with my truck without a serious upgrade in WDH.

Invest in a used Hensley or a new Propride. You'll love it by all accounts.

2012 Shamrock 233S
2008 Toyota Sequoia 5.7L 4WD
Triguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 11:30 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by grhodes50 View Post
The cheap one that comes with a new tt isn't very good. The Rhino brand gets good reviews. That's what I use.
x2.

While getting the stinky get one of these too:

Name:   clear elbow.jpg
Views: 164
Size:  11.0 KB

It is a 90 degree clear sewer hose adapter that takes the guessing out of knowing if your black tank is clean or not!

Amazon.com: Valterra T1023 90 Clearview Adapter: Industrial & Scientific
frankm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 12:12 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankm View Post
x2.

While getting the stinky get one of these too:

Attachment 8424

It is a 90 degree clear sewer hose adapter that takes the guessing out of knowing if your black tank is clean or not!

Amazon.com: Valterra T1023 90 Clearview Adapter: Industrial & Scientific

Are they available in 45's
2015 Crossroads Zinger ZT28BH
Rugged Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 12:15 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rugged Brown View Post
Are they available in 45's
Yes, Amazon.com: Valterra T1026-1 45 Clearview Adapter with 3" Bay Lug: Industrial & Scientific
frankm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 10:16 AM   #17

re hitches

Triguy I understand your concern. Definitely not an optimal set up with such a short wheelbase. I will say that my dealer allowed me to test tow the 301RLS without WD hitch or sway control. That unit is pushing an 800 pound hitch weight and about a foot longer. Sway was definitely felt though not as badly as I expected in that situation. It is possible that I might upgrade to the Hensley when I find the right deal. I am just comparing what I have available now. Thanks for the concern.
Old 10-12-2011, 10:34 AM   #18

Post must haves

As it stands now my must have list is looking something like this:

Rhino stinky slinky
clear adapter for stinky slinky
water pressure regulator
inline waterfilter Asst fuses
45 and 90 degree water fittings
water hose for potable water Ladder
water hose for holding tank washdown?
Maxxair covers
2x6 and 1x6 by 6' boards for leveling
battery disconnect
30 amp surge protecter
50 to 30 and 20 to 30 amp adapters
25' 30 amp cord
Asst fuses
Ladder
Level 2'
Chocks. Any recommendation?
Walkie Talkies for parking
Awning mat
Torque wrench
Tool kit
Asst camping gear

How are we looking so far? Thanks everybody.
Old 10-12-2011, 10:38 AM   #19
Moderator Emeritus

dstars99 - you bet. I know the frustrations of trying to match the floorplan that you love with your vehicle without having to go out to buy a new TV.

I encourage you to use one of the many weight calculators out there if you haven't already. Here is one and here is another.

A test drive is good but I bet it wasn't "sway" you actually were feeling. True sway is unpredictable and can be best described as a "rapid side-to-side oscillation of the trailer which increases with each swing". Very scary and dangerous and most of us will hopefully have never experienced it. The pull-push motion from passing vehicles and movement by winds is normal and, typically, won't be a problem if the driver doesn't overreact.

Equal-i-zer and Reese are good but I would still recommend a more sophisticated (and expensive) solution such as Propride or Hensley for the set-up you are considering.

I will get off of my now.

2012 Shamrock 233S
2008 Toyota Sequoia 5.7L 4WD
Triguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 10:40 AM   #20

cool emoticons.