Old 10-10-2011, 12:37 AM   #1

Question newbie needs help

Hello all. We are picking up our new Lacrosse 296BHS this weekend. Since this will be our first new camper ( we had a used pop-up) I am not sure what to expect. Any tips, tricks, or information as to what to look for would be greatly appreciated. We will be stocking the trailer from scratch so I am interested to know what your must have gadget and gizmos are. Thanks in advance for all your help.

Old 10-10-2011, 07:54 AM   #2

Wecome to the forum dstars99 and congrats on your new tt.
Since this is your first new tt and your not sure what to expect, well you can look out for some "new camper bugs". It's really not uncommon at all. How many and how big of an issue varries, but according to Prime Time owners on this forum the vast majority of us have only experienced a few minor issues. If you do have any issues or questions, Prime Time responds quickly and correctly. http://primetimerv.com/default.asp?page=contactus
Overall you'll love your Prime Time tt. We've had ours for almost a year and we've really enjoyed it.
Anything you need to know about the operation of you tt or any maintenance issues, just ask. There are lots of knowlegeable people on this forum willing to help.
Gadgets and gizmos vary with each individual, but I would have to say my Equal-i-zer hitch and power tongue jack are the top two. My BAL X-Chocks do help stabilize the tt when camping. I also recommend MaxxAir covers.
I'm sure others will post more ideas.
Again, congrats and happy camping!

Gary & Trish
"PT Crew Member Since 11/2010"
2017 Prime Time Crusader 315RST TE 6.0 : 2007 Flagstaff 206ST MAC Series
2012 F-250 Lariat : FX4 : CC : SB : 6.7L Diesel : 3/55 Gears

2017 Nights Camped - 4
grhodes50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 09:27 AM   #3
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

A lot of times it is easier to ask more generalized questions to get better answers.
You'll possibly get better answers asking item specific questions.
I have a 5er but a lot of the answers you seek may apply.
Good luck! And have fun!
Old 10-10-2011, 11:55 AM   #4

some specifics

Thanks for the input. I will try to be more specific. Our tt is equipped with the power package. I am intrigued by the x chocks. One of the posts said I would need the extended version. Some questions I have follow.

What is the benefit of the Maxxair vent covers?
Is there a prefrred product for leveling the tt side to side?
Do I need a power cord extension?
Is there anything specific to look for on the walk through?
Can you cycle the equipment on the trailer during the walk through?
Any pointers for setting up (leveling, connecting utilities, slide)?

As well as any answers to questions I do not know enough to ask would be greatly appreciated.
Old 10-10-2011, 12:12 PM   #5
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Max air vents allow your vents to open while it raining.
I use 2x6 to drive tires on to level side to side.
I carry 3 extention cords.
Everything is specific on walk through EVERYTHING. ask questions no matter how stupid.
Everything can be used in walk through.
Old 10-10-2011, 12:24 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by dstars99 View Post
Thanks for the input. I will try to be more specific. Our tt is equipped with the power package. I am intrigued by the x chocks. One of the posts said I would need the extended version. Some questions I have follow.

What is the benefit of the Maxxair vent covers? When it's raining you will be able to open the vents to allow air movement, which helps eliminate any build up of moisture in the tt. They also protect the vent covers from the sun's UV rays.
Is there a prefrred product for leveling the tt side to side? There are several different kinds of levels that attach to the outside of your tt. Where you mount is your preference. You can find these levels at wal mart or about any dealer. I choose to use a 2' level that I lay on the floor just inside the door when setting up.
Do I need a power cord extension? I have one, but I have only used it a couple of times. I was very glad I had it at those times. I also have a 50 amp to 30 amp adapter. I have only used it a couple of times as well.
Is there anything specific to look for on the walk through? About everything. Take all the time you need, usually a few hours. Ask all the questions that you can think of. Operate all appliances, gas and electric & run water through each faucet. Check the dump valve. If you can, video tape the PDI. At least take notes. There's quite a bit to remember and the video will give you something to reference.
Can you cycle the equipment on the trailer during the walk through? See above.
Any pointers for setting up (leveling, connecting utilities, slide)? I usually pull where I am going to park the tt. I then check side to side level. If need be I will either back up or pull forward just enough to place a board under the low side. I carry one 2 x 10 and one 1 x 10, each 6' long, for this purpose. I then unhitch and level front/back. Then I usually plug in the electric, lower the stabilizers, place my X-Chocks between the tires and then run out the slides. (while parking the tt make sure you are clear to run the slides out, ie... no trees or posts, etc...). I then hook up the water. I make sure the hot water tank is full then turn on the water heater. I use the electric side 99% of the time. Your pretty much in business at that point.
When at FHU's, I usually hook up the sewer hose while setting up, but sometimes I'll wait until I need to dump. Keep both valves closed until tanks are at least 2/3rd's full. Open the black tank valve and close after flushing. Always keep 2 or 3 gallons in the black tank. Then open the grey tank valve to help rinse out the sewer hose.

As well as any answers to questions I do not know enough to ask would be greatly appreciated. We probably don't know the same things!
Good luck and I hope this helps.

Gary & Trish
"PT Crew Member Since 11/2010"
2017 Prime Time Crusader 315RST TE 6.0 : 2007 Flagstaff 206ST MAC Series
2012 F-250 Lariat : FX4 : CC : SB : 6.7L Diesel : 3/55 Gears

2017 Nights Camped - 4
grhodes50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 01:52 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
We will be stocking the trailer from scratch so I am interested to know what your must have gadget and gizmos are. Thanks in advance for all your help.
Those guys pretty much covered your specific questions.

To answer your first post, several of the more useful items that we like are ...

• A battery disconnect switch.
  • An awning mat.
  • Torque wrench to torque those lug nuts in the first few hundred miles.
  • Assorted adapters.
  • A good stinky slinky.
  • An assortment of fuses.
  • A portable electric drill for stabilizers.
  • Wood saw.
  • A 50' 10/3 extension cord.
  • Hopkins graduated levels.

Here's a PDI checklist that I borrowed from someone (I wish I could give them credit but can't recall who it was ).
Attached Files
File Type: pdf PDI Checklist.pdf (70.9 KB, 67 views)

2012 Shamrock 233S
2008 Toyota Sequoia 5.7L 4WD
Triguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 04:31 PM   #8

The more I learn the more I need to know. Great info guys.

Where is best place to get maxxair covers?
What is a stinky slinky?
Will I need a portable drill with power stabilizers?
What type of assorted adapters (electrical, hoses)?
Are many using a battery disconnect? Will a marine version work? Where is the best place to mount one?
Where is the best place to get an extension cord? What guage is needed?

Thanks for all the help. Triguy thanks for the PDI checklist. I feel better with an outline to go by. My packing list continues to grow after reading the replies here as well as others' posts.
Old 10-10-2011, 04:47 PM   #9
Site Team

Ditto on the battery disconnect switch & extra fuses. I would recommend a power surge protector.
http://www.campingworld.com/shopping/product/portable-surge-guard/2279

2011 Salem Cruise Lite 20RBXL & 2011 Toyota Tundra Dbl Cab
Camping History: 45 Trips / 133 Nights / 3736 Miles
FRF Social Group: Campers of the West
Terier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 04:49 PM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
The more I learn the more I need to know. Great info guys.

Where is best place to get maxxair covers? I believe I got my Maxxair II on sale at my dealer. Camping World, RV Wholesalers, PPL and others also sell them.
What is a stinky slinky? A sewer hose for dumping your black and gray tanks. Mine comes with various swivel fittings.
Will I need a portable drill with power stabilizers? Oops, No. With manual stabs, its much faster to use a drill to power them up and down.
What type of assorted adapters (electrical, hoses)? Electrical (e.g., 30amp male to 15amp female, etc).
Are many using a battery disconnect? Will a marine version work? Where is the best place to mount one? This is a popular mod. A marine version like this one is best IMO. I mounted mine on the tongue but most mount on a battery box.
Where is the best place to get an extension cord? I have this one. A 25' would work with most sites that I have been to, though. What guage is needed? I like 10 gauge to draw more amps over a longer distance because of where my trailer sits at my house.

Thanks for all the help. Triguy thanks for the PDI checklist. I feel better with an outline to go by. My packing list continues to grow after reading the replies here as well as others' posts.

2012 Shamrock 233S
2008 Toyota Sequoia 5.7L 4WD
Triguy is offline   Reply With Quote