Old 06-13-2019, 09:55 PM   #1

Question No power to tail lights and rear running lights

We have a 2017 crusader 340rst. I have installed furrion observation camera 2years ago and have good experience with it. On way home from a short trip yesterday it lost the signal. When we got home tried to figure what was wrong and discovered we had no tail lights or the red running lights on top of the back. This is where I tied the rear camera into for dc power. I have traced power to the back of truck plug in and then to junction box on 5th wheel. The amber running lights on the front and sides are working, brake lights and turn signals are working. Looks like there are two different lines for different colored running lights. Anyone know where fuses for them would be located? Electrical panel inside appears to be for inside fixtures. Thanks any ideas would be appreciated.

eldonj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2019, 09:04 AM   #2
Commercial Member

eldonj,

We would be happy to assist you with this question regarding your Crusader. Please contact Sara Hankins in our Customer service department through the following personalized and direct link: http://www.primetimerv.com/DirectSer...61033608427509.

This direct link is provided for your convenience in order that we may resolve your concerns as quickly as possible. We will strive to respond to you within 24 hours of receiving your correspondence.

Respectfully,
Forest River

ES_FR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2019, 11:04 AM   #3

Just a quick update on my original post. I disconnected the camera and pulled running light off that I had spliced the camera into. Checked all wire connections and everything appeared to be good. With no idea what could be wrong I hooked truck up and now everything works. I'm assuming there must be a short or bad ground somewhere. I did wiggle and pull on all exposed wires trying to recreate the problem with no success. Going to pull tail lights today and check for any bad grounds. Glad it is working now but want to determine what originally caused problem
Old 06-15-2019, 11:11 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by eldonj View Post
Just a quick update on my original post. I disconnected the camera and pulled running light off that I had spliced the camera into. Checked all wire connections and everything appeared to be good. With no idea what could be wrong I hooked truck up and now everything works. I'm assuming there must be a short or bad ground somewhere. I did wiggle and pull on all exposed wires trying to recreate the problem with no success. Going to pull tail lights today and check for any bad grounds. Glad it is working now but want to determine what originally caused problem
I've often looked in a mirror to see what really caused an issue.
bubbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2019, 12:30 PM   #5

I’ve had this happen several times. Took a while to realize it was just the plug.
Artspe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2019, 12:37 PM   #6

Ya I've looked in mirror a number of times and said DUH. I was able to verify power into trailer and still no tail lights so that kind of eliminated the plug as being the problem. Thanks for your responses
Old 06-15-2019, 12:37 PM   #7
Just as confused as you

It doesn't matter what color the clearance/running lights are, all the clearance/running lights and tail lights should be on the same circuit. Only left turn signal/brake light and right turn signal/brake light should be separate circuits.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	7-way.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	76.7 KB
ID:	207409   Click image for larger version

Name:	typical schematic.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	149.7 KB
ID:	207410  
Camping since 1989, seasonal since 2000
Car Shredder Op/Tech, Scrap Metal Recycling - retired
The Faster I Go, The Behinder I Get.
Scrapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2019, 12:45 PM   #8
Newly Retired

Sometimes all it takes is to plug the trailer in, then unplug over and over a few times to scrub the prongs off some.
WD40 helps too.
Steveboe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2019, 12:56 PM   #9

Thanks for the diagram scrapper. So not knowing a lot about wiring why would front running lights work and not back? I pulled tail lights to look at wiring, my fixtures have 3 wires, black white and green. Left light white wire is spliced into 2 white wires and right light is spliced into 1. I am assuming white will be ground and those lights are grounded out in a series. Is it possible the front and rear lights are grounded in two different series? All I need to do now is find where they are grounded at so I can check them
Old 06-15-2019, 01:57 PM   #10
Just as confused as you

Yes, it is possible they are grounded as a set, all the front clearance lights ground connected to one wire going to the screw on the frame and all the rear lights grounded together, but usually each light assembly is grounded by itself. In fact, if all the rear lights are connected to a single ground wire, you will have the symptoms your describing if the connection at the frame is corroded or loose.
Camping since 1989, seasonal since 2000
Car Shredder Op/Tech, Scrap Metal Recycling - retired
The Faster I Go, The Behinder I Get.
Scrapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2019, 10:54 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by eldonj View Post

I would suggest that this is where you're problem is. If all the marker & clearance lights work forward of your camera/clearance light splice, I would be suspicious of your connections made for the camera. Not knowing what kind of splicers you used, you may have actually severed or partially severed a wire + or - and when you pulled the light back off it made contact enough to work once again.

If it were a short on the + side, then it would most likely blow the running light fuse in your tow vehicle. So, that's why I'm leaning toward a severed/broken wire.
rracer5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2019, 11:31 AM   #12
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Quote:
Originally Posted by rracer5 View Post
I would suggest that this is where you're problem is. If all the marker & clearance lights work forward of your camera/clearance light splice, I would be suspicious of your connections made for the camera. Not knowing what kind of splicers you used, you may have actually severed or partially severed a wire + or - and when you pulled the light back off it made contact enough to work once again.

If it were a short on the + side, then it would most likely blow the running light fuse in your tow vehicle. So, that's why I'm leaning toward a severed/broken wire.
X2.
Especially if you used those worthless "Scotch-Lock" squeeze connectors.
Never ever use these for anything.
TST Tire Monitor w/Repeater - Sinemate 3500w Gen.

Days Camped: '16=46 '17=30 '18=51 '19=53
5picker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2019, 11:12 PM   #13

Another update on running lights. As I was putting things back together the lights went off again. I called a friend who understands wiring more then me and he verified that we had 12volts on front running lights but only 5. something on the rear. Had to stop for the day and didn't get back to it until today. I hook the truck up and of course everything works again . As I am standing there scratching my head the rear lights go off again leaving the front amber lights workin Really puzzled now so I take the wall separating the pass thru storage from rest of 5th wheel down and you know the mess that's there. Also pull every running light off. Then call friend again and we trace every wire and determine grounds are good. On drivers side rear running light has 5 wires in a wire nut that is to small for that many wires and just crimped on. Cut it off and just twist everything together temporarily and everything works again. So I think that that is the problem. I will do some more checking as I put everything back together tomorrow but I think there just wasn't a good connection on the hot wire. Oh the fun we have!!
Old 06-17-2019, 11:35 PM   #14

Quote:
I will do some more checking as I put everything back together tomorrow but I think there just wasn't a good connection on the hot wire. Oh the fun we have!!
YUP... connections, always suspect connections every time there are intermittent lighting issues. Twist wires together, solder and heat shrink for the best connection.

The suggestion to clean the trailer plug often is a good one also to keep all the lights and brakes working.

2014 Shamrock 183
2014 RAM 1500 Bighorn Crew Cab, HEMI, 3.21 gears, 8 Spd, 4X4 TST TPMS
rsdata is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
light, power