Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-16-2014, 09:54 AM   #1
Toy-aholic

Not a happy camper!

Only a year & 5 mo. since I took delivery and the front cap is oxidized so bad it looks 15 yrs old! Does anyone know if there is any warr. coverage for this?
Has been waxed twice, so it's not like I neglected it.

Old 08-16-2014, 10:09 AM   #2
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by EXGMTech View Post
Only a year & 5 mo. since I took delivery and the front cap is oxidized so bad it looks 15 yrs old! Does anyone know if there is any warr. coverage for this?
Has been waxed twice, so it's not like I neglected it.

I had the same issue but it wasn't so noticeable since my TT is white. I can't remember the name of the product but there is protector that can be sprayed on that protect the outside from the elements. I think there is a diamond in the product name. Anyway the service department cleaned the TT before the stray was applied. If I remember correctly my TT was a year or two old when I had it done. The difference was day & night - it looked new again. It's been a couple of years since it was done and it still looks new. (Now the skylight cover is another story) I wished I knew about it sooner as I would had it done before taking delivery which would had come with a 7 year warranty.

Formerly owned 2011 Salem Cruise Lite 20RBXL & 2011 Toyota Tundra Dbl Cab
Terier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 07:53 PM   #3

Id be intersted to see what the dealer and PT say. I'm not seeing that on my cap yet anyway at 1 year 4 months. I've waxed probably 3 times with auto wax but am using protect all pretty regularly too. My routine is to wash the truck and finish with spray wax then towel that off and bag the towels. Then go to the storage lot and use the wet wax towel over an extendable brush to wipe the caps and sides off. Cheap wash and wax but still looking new. The top of the cap gets the worst sun and really needs something extra.

2014 295rst champ te
2009 2500hd GMC d/a
Old 08-19-2014, 12:44 PM   #4
Toy-aholic

Just got off the phone with fact. rep.....I'm a few mo out of war so they will only kick in $1000 toward repair. My dealer informed me they repaired one recently to the tune of $3100.

No more Prime Times for us that's for sure!!!!
Old 08-19-2014, 02:28 PM   #5

Send a message via AIM to Lloydg Send a message via MSN to Lloydg Send a message via Yahoo to Lloydg
That sounds like a satisfactory arrangement since you're 5 months out of warranty. Maintenance on RV's usually recommend waxing your RV twice a year. I do mine in the spring and in the fall with a good liquid wax made for RV's or marine applications. I would recommend that you do the same in the future, and if it's too much for you to handle, find a teenager that would like to make some extra cash. Good luck in the future.

Heartland Big Country 3150RL
2013 Ford SD F250 4x4 SC; 6.2
Reese 18K Elite w/slider - Rockford, Michigan
Lloydg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 03:18 PM   #6
Toy-aholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lloydg View Post
That sounds like a satisfactory arrangement since you're 5 months out of warranty. Maintenance on RV's usually recommend waxing your RV twice a year. I do mine in the spring and in the fall with a good liquid wax made for RV's or marine applications. I would recommend that you do the same in the future, and if it's too much for you to handle, find a teenager that would like to make some extra cash. Good luck in the future.
I do wax it with marine cleaner wax left over from my boat that NEVER oxidized in the 10 yrs I owned it.
Old 08-19-2014, 03:21 PM   #7

Send a message via AIM to Lloydg Send a message via MSN to Lloydg Send a message via Yahoo to Lloydg
Wow! That is surprising. Sorry for your grief and hope it doesn't happen again.

Heartland Big Country 3150RL
2013 Ford SD F250 4x4 SC; 6.2
Reese 18K Elite w/slider - Rockford, Michigan
Lloydg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 03:39 PM   #8

I would take it by a boat place to see what they think

2014 295rst champ te
2009 2500hd GMC d/a
Old 08-19-2014, 03:40 PM   #9

I am in the same boat as you are. Mine is a 298BHD
Mine is out of warranty by 2 months and they will give me $1500 towards a repair.
That is bull
This should not fade within a year or two.
Waxing or not this should not happen. Has not happened to my old camper. I have seen so many other campers that are not faded.
I am trying to contact my extended warranty company to see if it is covered but have not had any luck.
Next is to contact customer relations.

I would like to see how many others are out there like this.
Dealer says that this is the first one they have seen.
iamclayman2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 03:45 PM   #10

These things are not well made... none of them. I have had mine for 3 years, but none of these problems. I keep mine in covered storage. It's a little expensive, but I think it's worth it.
schrederman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 07:02 PM   #11

First off I want to say sorry for your problems, my advice is to take it to a paint & body shop. Have them quote you a price on repainting.

2013 Berkshire 390 BH
Old 08-19-2014, 07:10 PM   #12

Did you purchase the second year warranty? Still should not happen.

Your screen name indicates that you once worked for GM. They gave me that great GM feeling too on my last GM product when a transmission went out just out of warranty. About the same percentage as you indicate from FR. I should have purchased their warranty.
Seasonal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 07:16 PM   #13

Sorry to hear about the oxidation.

I would agree with you that it should not fade that quickly. The offer from them is a nice gesture but will not really take care of your problem.

2015 HW296
2006 HW256 (previous pup)
2013 Chevy Tahoe
Equalizer WDH 10000#
vinmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 07:26 PM   #14
Toy-aholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by my_crib_too View Post

Your screen name indicates that you once worked for GM. They gave me that great GM feeling too on my last GM product when a transmission went out just out of warranty. About the same percentage as you indicate from FR. I should have purchased their warranty.
Yes I was a GM tech for 27+ yrs, now work for Honda. Best move I ever made.
I had a red gelcoat boat for 10 yrs that I kept equally clean/waxed and it didn't fade one I-ota.
I'm really discouraged with Prime Time at this point. Even if I did not wax it ...it should not have oxidized like this in a little over a year! Prime Time needs to do a little more R&D on their gelcoat for sure!
I can remember when I bought this thing the salesman telling me it was gelcoated & should last a very long time...I agreed with him knowing how well my boat did...silly me.
Old 08-19-2014, 07:28 PM   #15
Toy-aholic

Quote:

yes I bought an extended war.,but that only covers the mecanicals
Old 08-19-2014, 07:29 PM   #16

Quote:

The second year warranty is NOT available on Crusaders 😞

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
heavynlori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 08:54 PM   #17

Quote:
yes I bought an extended war.,but that only covers the mecanicals
Ahhh... Didn't know that.

Still shouldn't happen. Paint should be good for a very long time.
Seasonal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 09:15 PM   #18
Site Team

Quote:
Just got off the phone with fact. rep.....I'm a few mo out of war so they will only kick in $1000 toward repair. My dealer informed me they repaired one recently to the tune of $3100.

No more Prime Times for us that's for sure!!!!
Man that sucks
Noway this should of happened so soon! Well maybe take the $1000 , get a new paint job and to heck with there logo's and decals.
Have custom image put on the cap.

Zelda the campin dog
Platokidd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 09:29 PM   #19
Plain Old Member

Can always just have it painted / cleared. That is not a $3500 job for sure. Ours is painted and cleared as of now. No different than a painted motorhome. Can't tell mine from a new one on the lot as far as color match goes, but we have a good body shop that only works on RVs.

I kind of went with PlatoKidd's idea. Only thing we put back was the "Silverback". Left off the bear thing, which I hated. Kids miss it though. I actually debated having the cap painted the same color as the sides, but figured I may mess up a trade deal one day with custom looking stuff.
2013 Ford F-350 Lariat CC LB PSD
2015 SOB TT - With OC's Awning Poles (#8)
At least in Heaven, RVs will be perfect, and I won't have to keep fixing them.
BigJohnD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 10:21 PM   #20
Oklahoma Proud

Ok, I'm a little in the "know" on some of this.
I work in the collision industry, and am starting a fiberglass/gelcoat business.
I have also been approached by my dealer to paint the nose caps on several of their tt's and 5ers under warranty. (Oh and some of these haven't even been sold yet, still sitting on the dealers lot, so just months old )

First the oxidation is on the gelcoat which is merely a resin. Waxing wont help, buffing with a compound and sometimes even sanding before hand is required. You just have to make sure you dont cut thru the gelcoat.
There are various qualities of gelcoats available, if course, the cheaper stuff will oxidize quickly in comparison to the expensive stuff like what is used on Skater, MTI and Cobalt boats.

Second, most manufactures are switching to painted caps. This eliminates This issue that most manufacturers were having.

Third, this shouldn't be a real expensive undertaking. A nose cap on a 5er is roughly the same surface area as 1-2 short bed, pickup bed covers. Unless you are wanting alot of graphics a $1000 should cover painting and prepping it. Your decals will be more of course. One manuf. Is allowing $800 for painting a tt nose cap on a trailer on the lot of my dealer, but after the r&r of the decal and lights it will realistically pay more.

The hardest part is finding someone that will have shop doors big enough to get your trailer in.
I would suggest going by a semi body shop, this would be really easy for them to do. Well, it would be easy for any shop, if they could get it in the door.

Best of luck!!
MillerTime is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
camper