Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-21-2013, 08:34 PM   #1
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 4
Our Experience with the Prime Time Lacrosse

June 29, 2013 we purchased a 2014 Prime Time Lacrosse from Northside RV in Lexington KY and it has been a nightmare ever since.
After owning our travel trailer for a week, we discovered a leak in the bedroom window. We were amazed it would have any leaks with Prime Time’s claim they put all their units through a “Rain Bay exposing our units to a downpour of water equivalent to over 24” per hour. Leak Guard is a true advancement in quality control and a Prime Time exclusive.” A statement quoted from their website.
We took our trailer back to Northside RV for repairs; it was there for two weeks and returned to us with a temporary fix. I contacted Prime Time and spoke to Roger Stickel. He told me that it would be at least three weeks before they would have the replacement window to our RV dealer. I explained to Roger how we had paid for a campsite for the entire month of July in order to enjoy our new purchase and asked if Prime Time would help offset the cost of the campground since we were not able to enjoy our camper for two of the weeks during the month of July. He said that they would not do anything.
After waiting a couple of weeks, we were contacted by the RV dealer letting us know our window had arrived and it would take approximately 2 hours to replace the window. I scheduled an appointment to bring it in to be replaced plus in the meantime we had some other issues. The LP detector would not shutoff – constantly beeping and we had a small fire in the water heater compartment. I took the trailer back to the dealer, the LP detector was replaced and the fire was a piece of tape in the pilot light area of the water heater. I was told it has been fixed.
The window was replaced with a new window sent from Prime Time that leaked worse than the original window. Prime Time has been contacted again and another new window has been requested. I have gone to the salesman and owner of Northside RV to voice my concerns about this camper. I have been told this just happens with campers and that we were lucky with the others we have owned in the past. We had received an email from Prime Time telling us they had shipped our window on Aug. 15, 2013.
Today Wednesday, Aug. 21, 2013 our trailer has been at the RV dealer for two weeks now and still waiting on the window. I emailed Prime Time today and was told the window would be shipped today. So far, we have owned our Lacrosse travel trailer for almost two months and paid a little over $1,500 (campground fees, monthly payment, insurance, and cash out of pocket for upgraded theater seats) for a camper we have only been able to use less then two weeks.
The service department at Northside RV has been great in trying to fix the issues but after this experience I would NEVER buy another Prime Time – not sure I’d ever buy another camper; which is sad because this is our 4th in less than 10 years.
__________________

__________________
MCarnahan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 07:17 AM   #2
Commercial Member
 
huntr70's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: PA
Posts: 435
Welcome to the forum...

Before you praise your dealer for doing all that they can, it sounds like several of the issues should have been caught by them before you took delivery.

First off, there is no pilot light in the water heaters. They are DSI ignition. Only sparks when it calls for hot water. Did they not run it during PDI?

We do a full lot inspection after any hard rains, just in case there are leaks. Yes, we do find some, but again, they get fixed before a customer gets them. I don't see how a window can leak, twice. Typically it is not the window....it is the seal around it.

An LP detector is either good or bad....again, a PDI item.


Prime Time has a great reputation for the amount of units they have on the road. Unfortunately, it sounds like you have a fairly poor dealer selling their units..
__________________

__________________
Steve and Vicki
2 kids
2011 Dodge 3500 CTD Outdoorsman
(Tweaked!!)
2013 Columbus 320RS-ITS HERE!!
huntr70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 09:19 AM   #3
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 4
Since you are so high on Prime Time, you can buy my 2014 Lacrosse, I will throw in the upgraded theater seats, and both of us will be HAPPY! HAPPY! HAPPY!
__________________
MCarnahan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 09:20 AM   #4
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: X
Posts: 2,781
I too was wondering just where the window is leaking. Unless the water is coming thru joints in the frame, it's likely to be the way it's installed.

I guess there could be a batch of bad windows, but there are a lot of RVs out there just like yours that don't have that leak.
__________________
BarryD0706 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 11:36 AM   #5
Site Team
 
Platokidd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: top side land of Lincoln
Posts: 6,436
Quote:
Originally Posted by MCarnahan View Post
June 29, 2013 we purchased a 2014 Prime Time Lacrosse from Northside RV in Lexington KY and it has been a nightmare ever since.
After owning our travel trailer for a week, we discovered a leak in the bedroom window. We were amazed it would have any leaks with Prime Time’s claim they put all their units through a “Rain Bay exposing our units to a downpour of water equivalent to over 24” per hour. Leak Guard is a true advancement in quality control and a Prime Time exclusive.” A statement quoted from their website.
We took our trailer back to Northside RV for repairs; it was there for two weeks and returned to us with a temporary fix. I contacted Prime Time and spoke to Roger Stickel. He told me that it would be at least three weeks before they would have the replacement window to our RV dealer. I explained to Roger how we had paid for a campsite for the entire month of July in order to enjoy our new purchase and asked if Prime Time would help offset the cost of the campground since we were not able to enjoy our camper for two of the weeks during the month of July. He said that they would not do anything.
After waiting a couple of weeks, we were contacted by the RV dealer letting us know our window had arrived and it would take approximately 2 hours to replace the window. I scheduled an appointment to bring it in to be replaced plus in the meantime we had some other issues. The LP detector would not shutoff – constantly beeping and we had a small fire in the water heater compartment. I took the trailer back to the dealer, the LP detector was replaced and the fire was a piece of tape in the pilot light area of the water heater. I was told it has been fixed.
The window was replaced with a new window sent from Prime Time that leaked worse than the original window. Prime Time has been contacted again and another new window has been requested. I have gone to the salesman and owner of Northside RV to voice my concerns about this camper. I have been told this just happens with campers and that we were lucky with the others we have owned in the past. We had received an email from Prime Time telling us they had shipped our window on Aug. 15, 2013.
Today Wednesday, Aug. 21, 2013 our trailer has been at the RV dealer for two weeks now and still waiting on the window. I emailed Prime Time today and was told the window would be shipped today. So far, we have owned our Lacrosse travel trailer for almost two months and paid a little over $1,500 (campground fees, monthly payment, insurance, and cash out of pocket for upgraded theater seats) for a camper we have only been able to use less then two weeks.
The service department at Northside RV has been great in trying to fix the issues but after this experience I would NEVER buy another Prime Time – not sure I’d ever buy another camper; which is sad because this is our 4th in less than 10 years.
I feel your pain! what unit do you have? I have 2014 lacrosse rst323-te-c.Mine has made more trips to the dealer then the campground.

The upper fridge vent was not installed right. It leak in the rain and we had a small flood in ours. Dealer fix for that was to raise the vent and build a wall of caulk.
You should also look on this forum for prime time slide out wear.
Mine too has spent way too much time at the dealers.Some was Prime Time fault for there workmanship or design flaws and some the dealer fault for having to fix something 2 or 3 times to get it right. I think its the whole rv industry is not all that great on quality control.. Funny...I think prime time has some of the better quality units on the market. But thats grading on a curve of coarse.
__________________
2014 LaCrosse 323RST-TE-C
2009 Chevy 2500HD Z71
nights of camping
2017-67 / 16-92 / 15-73 / 14-60 / 13-33
Seasonal
Platokidd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 11:47 AM   #6
Site Team
 
Platokidd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: top side land of Lincoln
Posts: 6,436
Quote:
Originally Posted by MCarnahan View Post
Since you are so high on Prime Time, you can buy my 2014 Lacrosse, I will throw in the upgraded theater seats, and both of us will be HAPPY! HAPPY! HAPPY!
Hang in there, just gotta work all them bugs out.
Hopefully it will then be the awsum unit you thought you bought!
I think 2008wildcat was only trying to help. Dealers and warranty work sometimes just dont mix well. Doing as little as possible to pacify things.Instead of taking the time to fix things right the first time.
__________________
2014 LaCrosse 323RST-TE-C
2009 Chevy 2500HD Z71
nights of camping
2017-67 / 16-92 / 15-73 / 14-60 / 13-33
Seasonal
Platokidd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 09:17 PM   #7
Commercial Member
 
huntr70's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: PA
Posts: 435
Quote:
Originally Posted by MCarnahan View Post
Since you are so high on Prime Time, you can buy my 2014 Lacrosse, I will throw in the upgraded theater seats, and both of us will be HAPPY! HAPPY! HAPPY!

I can honestly say that the Prime Time products are one of the least problematic units we have on our lot.

And we do have quite a few brands other than Forest River....

I am also very happy happy happy with my Columbus, thanks anyway!

I probably already have the same theater seats too...
__________________
Steve and Vicki
2 kids
2011 Dodge 3500 CTD Outdoorsman
(Tweaked!!)
2013 Columbus 320RS-ITS HERE!!
huntr70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 10:07 PM   #8
Site Team
 
Platokidd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: top side land of Lincoln
Posts: 6,436
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2008Wildcat View Post
I can honestly say that the Prime Time products are one of the least problematic units we have on our lot.

And we do have quite a few brands other than Forest River....

I am also very happy happy happy with my Columbus, thanks anyway!

I probably already have the same theater seats too...
Bet you had a few p o customers in your day. How could you not??
Lets face it the rv industry is far far from the auto industry. Or any other I can think of as far as quality goes. And I use the word quality loosely.
I do think Prime time cares if you can talk to the right people.
I think having problems is just part of having a camper.
I have more problems then i care to have thats for sure. My chevy truck NONE! and its much older!
But that said we shop around a lot before I bought my 2nd prime time unit in 2 years.. Think there quality is better then most and we looked hard!

I think it tough to make a good quality unit and dealers have a hard time getting good tech and workers at the dealers that care. Its just a job right.
I buy my service guy a 6 pack a beer when i see him.(he looks like he has been threw hell) To let him know "thanks and keep him on my side." I have got to know him pretty good too.
Im just curious... of the units you sell who has the most and or least problems? I really like to know. I think I got one more purchase left in me.
Thanks happy campin
__________________
2014 LaCrosse 323RST-TE-C
2009 Chevy 2500HD Z71
nights of camping
2017-67 / 16-92 / 15-73 / 14-60 / 13-33
Seasonal
Platokidd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 07:06 PM   #9
Commercial Member
 
huntr70's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: PA
Posts: 435
Right now, it is a pretty even toss up between the brands. I carry Keystone, 3 different lines, a Dutchmen, ultralight line, and Palomino/Prime Time in FR brands. Also the newbies, Grand Design, which so far, have been the least problematic.

Our dealership has been in business for over 58 years, so we keep the less problematic brands. We don't deal in extremely cheap units, as they are still the worst built ever.

I bought the Palomino Columbus because the bang for the buck factor, and the follow through from FR warranty is good. Several other reasons as well, but reliability was a big one. Did I have issues? Of course. I'm still waiting on some parts that were defective, found on PDI in April.

I just come to realize that it is what it is....
__________________
Steve and Vicki
2 kids
2011 Dodge 3500 CTD Outdoorsman
(Tweaked!!)
2013 Columbus 320RS-ITS HERE!!
huntr70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 10:00 AM   #10
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by MCarnahan View Post
June 29, 2013 we purchased a 2014 Prime Time Lacrosse from Northside RV in Lexington KY and it has been a nightmare ever since.
After owning our travel trailer for a week, we discovered a leak in the bedroom window. We were amazed it would have any leaks with Prime Time’s claim they put all their units through a “Rain Bay exposing our units to a downpour of water equivalent to over 24” per hour. Leak Guard is a true advancement in quality control and a Prime Time exclusive.” A statement quoted from their website.
We took our trailer back to Northside RV for repairs; it was there for two weeks and returned to us with a temporary fix. I contacted Prime Time and spoke to Roger Stickel. He told me that it would be at least three weeks before they would have the replacement window to our RV dealer. I explained to Roger how we had paid for a campsite for the entire month of July in order to enjoy our new purchase and asked if Prime Time would help offset the cost of the campground since we were not able to enjoy our camper for two of the weeks during the month of July. He said that they would not do anything.
After waiting a couple of weeks, we were contacted by the RV dealer letting us know our window had arrived and it would take approximately 2 hours to replace the window. I scheduled an appointment to bring it in to be replaced plus in the meantime we had some other issues. The LP detector would not shutoff – constantly beeping and we had a small fire in the water heater compartment. I took the trailer back to the dealer, the LP detector was replaced and the fire was a piece of tape in the pilot light area of the water heater. I was told it has been fixed.
The window was replaced with a new window sent from Prime Time that leaked worse than the original window. Prime Time has been contacted again and another new window has been requested. I have gone to the salesman and owner of Northside RV to voice my concerns about this camper. I have been told this just happens with campers and that we were lucky with the others we have owned in the past. We had received an email from Prime Time telling us they had shipped our window on Aug. 15, 2013.
Today Wednesday, Aug. 21, 2013 our trailer has been at the RV dealer for two weeks now and still waiting on the window. I emailed Prime Time today and was told the window would be shipped today. So far, we have owned our Lacrosse travel trailer for almost two months and paid a little over $1,500 (campground fees, monthly payment, insurance, and cash out of pocket for upgraded theater seats) for a camper we have only been able to use less then two weeks.
The service department at Northside RV has been great in trying to fix the issues but after this experience I would NEVER buy another Prime Time – not sure I’d ever buy another camper; which is sad because this is our 4th in less than 10 years.
I am glad I came across this forum. We have been Internet shopping for a Prime Time TT. We really like the layout of the 319QBS. We have found one about 1.5 hours away in Lexington, KY at Northside RV. I have been working with the Internet sales rep (Matt) over the phone. They have a loaded 2013 model with a MSRP of over $45000 and without stepping onto the lot yet they are offering $26100. I have no trade-in to worry about either. We have always rented campers in the past. I bought 16 acres from our adjacent neighbor, so I finally have a place to park and store a large camper. My question to you is have you had any other problems. If you don't mind, I might show him this forum post to find out why they did not pick this up during the PDI. He told me that their dealership prides themselves in having the sales agent go over everything with a fine tooth comb with the owners as opposed to handing you off to someone else after the sale. Any other additional info would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.
__________________

__________________
RadColt is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
lacrosse, prime time

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by




ForestRiverForums.com is not in any way associated with Forest River, Inc. or its associated RV manufacturing divisions.


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:56 PM.