Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-21-2013, 07:34 PM   #1

Our Experience with the Prime Time Lacrosse

June 29, 2013 we purchased a 2014 Prime Time Lacrosse from Northside RV in Lexington KY and it has been a nightmare ever since.
After owning our travel trailer for a week, we discovered a leak in the bedroom window. We were amazed it would have any leaks with Prime Time’s claim they put all their units through a “Rain Bay exposing our units to a downpour of water equivalent to over 24” per hour. Leak Guard is a true advancement in quality control and a Prime Time exclusive.” A statement quoted from their website.
We took our trailer back to Northside RV for repairs; it was there for two weeks and returned to us with a temporary fix. I contacted Prime Time and spoke to Roger Stickel. He told me that it would be at least three weeks before they would have the replacement window to our RV dealer. I explained to Roger how we had paid for a campsite for the entire month of July in order to enjoy our new purchase and asked if Prime Time would help offset the cost of the campground since we were not able to enjoy our camper for two of the weeks during the month of July. He said that they would not do anything.
After waiting a couple of weeks, we were contacted by the RV dealer letting us know our window had arrived and it would take approximately 2 hours to replace the window. I scheduled an appointment to bring it in to be replaced plus in the meantime we had some other issues. The LP detector would not shutoff – constantly beeping and we had a small fire in the water heater compartment. I took the trailer back to the dealer, the LP detector was replaced and the fire was a piece of tape in the pilot light area of the water heater. I was told it has been fixed.
The window was replaced with a new window sent from Prime Time that leaked worse than the original window. Prime Time has been contacted again and another new window has been requested. I have gone to the salesman and owner of Northside RV to voice my concerns about this camper. I have been told this just happens with campers and that we were lucky with the others we have owned in the past. We had received an email from Prime Time telling us they had shipped our window on Aug. 15, 2013.
Today Wednesday, Aug. 21, 2013 our trailer has been at the RV dealer for two weeks now and still waiting on the window. I emailed Prime Time today and was told the window would be shipped today. So far, we have owned our Lacrosse travel trailer for almost two months and paid a little over $1,500 (campground fees, monthly payment, insurance, and cash out of pocket for upgraded theater seats) for a camper we have only been able to use less then two weeks.
The service department at Northside RV has been great in trying to fix the issues but after this experience I would NEVER buy another Prime Time – not sure I’d ever buy another camper; which is sad because this is our 4th in less than 10 years.
MCarnahan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 06:17 AM   #2
Commercial Member

Welcome to the forum...

Before you praise your dealer for doing all that they can, it sounds like several of the issues should have been caught by them before you took delivery.

First off, there is no pilot light in the water heaters. They are DSI ignition. Only sparks when it calls for hot water. Did they not run it during PDI?

We do a full lot inspection after any hard rains, just in case there are leaks. Yes, we do find some, but again, they get fixed before a customer gets them. I don't see how a window can leak, twice. Typically it is not the window....it is the seal around it.

An LP detector is either good or bad....again, a PDI item.

Prime Time has a great reputation for the amount of units they have on the road. Unfortunately, it sounds like you have a fairly poor dealer selling their units..
(Tweaked!!)
2013 Columbus 320RS-ITS HERE!!
huntr70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 08:19 AM   #3

Since you are so high on Prime Time, you can buy my 2014 Lacrosse, I will throw in the upgraded theater seats, and both of us will be HAPPY! HAPPY! HAPPY!
Old 08-22-2013, 08:20 AM   #4

I too was wondering just where the window is leaking. Unless the water is coming thru joints in the frame, it's likely to be the way it's installed.

I guess there could be a batch of bad windows, but there are a lot of RVs out there just like yours that don't have that leak.
BarryD0706 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 10:36 AM   #5
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCarnahan View Post
June 29, 2013 we purchased a 2014 Prime Time Lacrosse from Northside RV in Lexington KY and it has been a nightmare ever since.
After owning our travel trailer for a week, we discovered a leak in the bedroom window. We were amazed it would have any leaks with Prime Time’s claim they put all their units through a “Rain Bay exposing our units to a downpour of water equivalent to over 24” per hour. Leak Guard is a true advancement in quality control and a Prime Time exclusive.” A statement quoted from their website.
We took our trailer back to Northside RV for repairs; it was there for two weeks and returned to us with a temporary fix. I contacted Prime Time and spoke to Roger Stickel. He told me that it would be at least three weeks before they would have the replacement window to our RV dealer. I explained to Roger how we had paid for a campsite for the entire month of July in order to enjoy our new purchase and asked if Prime Time would help offset the cost of the campground since we were not able to enjoy our camper for two of the weeks during the month of July. He said that they would not do anything.
After waiting a couple of weeks, we were contacted by the RV dealer letting us know our window had arrived and it would take approximately 2 hours to replace the window. I scheduled an appointment to bring it in to be replaced plus in the meantime we had some other issues. The LP detector would not shutoff – constantly beeping and we had a small fire in the water heater compartment. I took the trailer back to the dealer, the LP detector was replaced and the fire was a piece of tape in the pilot light area of the water heater. I was told it has been fixed.
The window was replaced with a new window sent from Prime Time that leaked worse than the original window. Prime Time has been contacted again and another new window has been requested. I have gone to the salesman and owner of Northside RV to voice my concerns about this camper. I have been told this just happens with campers and that we were lucky with the others we have owned in the past. We had received an email from Prime Time telling us they had shipped our window on Aug. 15, 2013.
Today Wednesday, Aug. 21, 2013 our trailer has been at the RV dealer for two weeks now and still waiting on the window. I emailed Prime Time today and was told the window would be shipped today. So far, we have owned our Lacrosse travel trailer for almost two months and paid a little over $1,500 (campground fees, monthly payment, insurance, and cash out of pocket for upgraded theater seats) for a camper we have only been able to use less then two weeks.
The service department at Northside RV has been great in trying to fix the issues but after this experience I would NEVER buy another Prime Time – not sure I’d ever buy another camper; which is sad because this is our 4th in less than 10 years.
I feel your pain! what unit do you have? I have 2014 lacrosse rst323-te-c.Mine has made more trips to the dealer then the campground.

The upper fridge vent was not installed right. It leak in the rain and we had a small flood in ours. Dealer fix for that was to raise the vent and build a wall of caulk.
You should also look on this forum for prime time slide out wear.
Mine too has spent way too much time at the dealers.Some was Prime Time fault for there workmanship or design flaws and some the dealer fault for having to fix something 2 or 3 times to get it right. I think its the whole rv industry is not all that great on quality control.. Funny...I think prime time has some of the better quality units on the market. But thats grading on a curve of coarse.

Zelda the campin dog
Platokidd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 10:47 AM   #6
Site Team

Quote:
Since you are so high on Prime Time, you can buy my 2014 Lacrosse, I will throw in the upgraded theater seats, and both of us will be HAPPY! HAPPY! HAPPY!
Hang in there, just gotta work all them bugs out.
Hopefully it will then be the awsum unit you thought you bought!
I think 2008wildcat was only trying to help. Dealers and warranty work sometimes just dont mix well. Doing as little as possible to pacify things.Instead of taking the time to fix things right the first time.

Zelda the campin dog
Old 08-22-2013, 08:17 PM   #7
Commercial Member

Quote:

I can honestly say that the Prime Time products are one of the least problematic units we have on our lot.

And we do have quite a few brands other than Forest River....

I am also very happy happy happy with my Columbus, thanks anyway!

I probably already have the same theater seats too...
(Tweaked!!)
Old 08-22-2013, 09:07 PM   #8
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2008Wildcat View Post
I can honestly say that the Prime Time products are one of the least problematic units we have on our lot.

And we do have quite a few brands other than Forest River....

I am also very happy happy happy with my Columbus, thanks anyway!

I probably already have the same theater seats too...
Bet you had a few p o customers in your day. How could you not??
Lets face it the rv industry is far far from the auto industry. Or any other I can think of as far as quality goes. And I use the word quality loosely.
I do think Prime time cares if you can talk to the right people.
I think having problems is just part of having a camper.
I have more problems then i care to have thats for sure. My chevy truck NONE! and its much older!
But that said we shop around a lot before I bought my 2nd prime time unit in 2 years.. Think there quality is better then most and we looked hard!

I think it tough to make a good quality unit and dealers have a hard time getting good tech and workers at the dealers that care. Its just a job right.
I buy my service guy a 6 pack a beer when i see him.(he looks like he has been threw hell) To let him know "thanks and keep him on my side." I have got to know him pretty good too.
Im just curious... of the units you sell who has the most and or least problems? I really like to know. I think I got one more purchase left in me.
Thanks happy campin

Zelda the campin dog
Old 08-23-2013, 06:06 PM   #9
Commercial Member

Right now, it is a pretty even toss up between the brands. I carry Keystone, 3 different lines, a Dutchmen, ultralight line, and Palomino/Prime Time in FR brands. Also the newbies, Grand Design, which so far, have been the least problematic.

Our dealership has been in business for over 58 years, so we keep the less problematic brands. We don't deal in extremely cheap units, as they are still the worst built ever.

I bought the Palomino Columbus because the bang for the buck factor, and the follow through from FR warranty is good. Several other reasons as well, but reliability was a big one. Did I have issues? Of course. I'm still waiting on some parts that were defective, found on PDI in April.

I just come to realize that it is what it is....
(Tweaked!!)
Old 08-24-2013, 09:00 AM   #10

Quote:
I am glad I came across this forum. We have been Internet shopping for a Prime Time TT. We really like the layout of the 319QBS. We have found one about 1.5 hours away in Lexington, KY at Northside RV. I have been working with the Internet sales rep (Matt) over the phone. They have a loaded 2013 model with a MSRP of over $45000 and without stepping onto the lot yet they are offering $26100. I have no trade-in to worry about either. We have always rented campers in the past. I bought 16 acres from our adjacent neighbor, so I finally have a place to park and store a large camper. My question to you is have you had any other problems. If you don't mind, I might show him this forum post to find out why they did not pick this up during the PDI. He told me that their dealership prides themselves in having the sales agent go over everything with a fine tooth comb with the owners as opposed to handing you off to someone else after the sale. Any other additional info would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.
RadColt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 09:46 AM   #11
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by RadColt View Post
I am glad I came across this forum. We have been Internet shopping for a Prime Time TT. We really like the layout of the 319QBS. We have found one about 1.5 hours away in Lexington, KY at Northside RV. I have been working with the Internet sales rep (Matt) over the phone. They have a loaded 2013 model with a MSRP of over $45000 and without stepping onto the lot yet they are offering $26100. I have no trade-in to worry about either. We have always rented campers in the past. I bought 16 acres from our adjacent neighbor, so I finally have a place to park and store a large camper. My question to you is have you had any other problems. If you don't mind, I might show him this forum post to find out why they did not pick this up during the PDI. He told me that their dealership prides themselves in having the sales agent go over everything with a fine tooth comb with the owners as opposed to handing you off to someone else after the sale. Any other additional info would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.
Welcome to the forum.
I would recommend you go to the prime time section of this forum and look around.
Prime time makes one of the better units out there, but most all units on the market will have problems of some kind.
Good luck on picking out your new unit

Carl

Zelda the campin dog
Old 08-24-2013, 11:30 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by RadColt View Post

Thanks.
we bought our 2012 Tracer from Matt Henahan. he is a great guy and gave us a great deal. The only problem we have had is the slide, but we caused the problem when a door jammed it going out. Thanks Bob
Old 09-15-2013, 07:17 PM   #13

Sorry I was slow to respond. Our Camper is currently in the shop at Northside RV again and has been for about two more weeks. One of the stabilizer jacks had to be replaced. I was told they have sent a new one, but I have not been told if it has arrived at Northside yet.
Old 09-15-2013, 07:40 PM   #14

Send a message via MSN to Tiggerdad
I doubt that the window is defective. More likely it was not prepped properly before the install. Sometimes the window opening is a little large and the window must be centered in the hole. Not just stuck in and tightened.

After 3-4 years the window near the bed on my previous rig started leaking. I removed it, placed new putty tape around the window, centered and tightened it up. I also ran a bead of clear polyurethane caulk across the top of the window and down 3" on both sides.

2013 Crusader 330 MKS
2013 Chevrolet Silverado LT 2500 D/A
Tiggerdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 03:28 PM   #15

Our story continues…our camper went back to the shop September 4, 2013 due to one of the stabilizer jacks being defective. Prime Time said that they will replace it with a new one but so far it still hasn’t been received today’s date is Sept. 19, 2013. We have owned our camper for 12 weeks tomorrow and most of that time it’s been in the repair shop. Would I do it again, NO!!!!!!!! The Service Department at Northside RV has been awesome in trying to fix the issues but after this experience I would NEVER buy another Prime Time and I will warn others against it as well.
Old 09-19-2013, 06:10 PM   #16

I too have not been all that impressed with my Lacrosse 318 BHS, my last trip out was the first time that something didn't break or fall apart. It takes 2 people to close the outside kitchen door, what a piece of crap that setup is. Pretty disappointing unit considering all the hype. I wouldn't buy one again and if they are one of the better constructed units out there, an awful lot of manufacturers are sending out complete garbage then.
AWright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 08:55 PM   #17

I feel your pain. I am sorry both of you are having these issues. I have had my fair share of "lemons" in my life but, realize it's one of those "pains" that every manufacturer goes through. And some handle them better than others to make it right.

So, let's see.......3 years (this month), 10,000 miles towed (original tires), 300 nights spent in it and....

1) Oct. 2010 - Fridge quit. My fault, I had it parked on a severe angle and the thermocouple tripped. Dealer diagnosed and replaced it in 10 minutes.
2) Bed platform hinge screws pulled out or broke off. I reattached with better screws. Notified RV Guy who made sure assembly workers were using the proper hardware for the specific application.
3) April 2011 - No hot water in docking station. I found a "kinked hose" behind the docking station and repaired/rerouted it myself.
4) May 2012 - Broken front stabilizer jack. My fault, I put too much weight on it by lowering the tongue jack while trying to level the TT.
5) June 2013 - Main slide wouldn't go out. My fault again. I neglected to maintain or have dealer inspect slide for proper alignment and lubrication over the years. Dealer realigned and lubed slide mechanism.

So, just sayin'......although I've had a few what I would consider minor problems, the majority my fault, I have been very happy with my Prime Time. I realize every manufacturer has quality control issues, Prime Time seems to have the fewest problems as these forums attest. There are many, many more happy satisfied customers then unhappy ones. So, considering Prime Times' track record in the industry, I for one, wouldn't give up on them for future consideration.
rracer5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 07:17 AM   #18

I agree with rracer5. All brands have issues, that is why it takes 3 weeks to get your RV into the shop for repair with a dealer that has over 20 techs.
Cedar Creek Sams President

RVing is a tough job,BUT someone has to do it!
Wildwood Danny is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
lacrosse, prime time