Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-11-2014, 10:12 AM   #1

Our new 2014 Crusader 325res observations

We picked up our 2014 Crusader 325res Touring Edition Saturday morning stopped by the house grabbed enough stuff to get us through a few days and took it out for a shakedown trip. Our Dealer General RV in Orange Park, Fl was great to work with. We went looking two weekends ago and had no intention of buying anything. We looked at different dealers and a lot of different 5vers. We had bought our 2006 Rockwood 8280SS from General RV back in 2012 so that was the last place we hit. The Wife fell in love with the 325res and they gave us a deal we couldn't refuse so we signed the papers. Last Wednesday my salesman calls me and says that when they started prepping it the found some cosmetic damage on one of the slides and had to order the part but, we could still pick it up on Saturday and when the part came in I could just bring it in and they would fix it and any other punch list items. I live about a hour and 45 minutes from Jacksonville and said "We can just wait because that is a long haul for me" he said let me call you back. He called back and said when the part came in they would come to my house pick it up, fix the panel and anything else and bring it back. I was surprised they would do this but said "works for me".

So we pick it up and head out for 3 days to a campground near our house. Everything worked great found a few little cosmetic things but all in all very happy with the fit and finish. I really liked the Auto Leveling feature, the way the jack pads are easier to drop, black tank flush, the coil outside hose (verses the shower head type), nice big basement with electrical outlet and TV hookup and the outside gas grill. Inside The Sofa and Recliners feel really comfortable (not sure if real leather but feels like it), ottoman with storage, double door refrig with push button digital temp control 1-5 and can access with slides closed, lots and lots of storage throughout the entire rig, electric fireplace, good flooring, lots of electrical outlets, soundbar for the TV and a nice big shower.

Just a few negatives they placed the audio receiver in the side of the chest of drawers so, anytime you want to listen to or change music you have to go into the bedroom to do it. Also no CD or USB port (they put a DVD player in the cabinet next to the TV). The light switches for the kitchen are in the same place as all other controls behind a little cabinet door. If you are not paying attention and it is dark you can accidentally push one of the slide buttons by mistake . The faucet in the center island sink could use a pullout sprayer. Also the slide button in the bedroom is just under the light switch (see above ).

I live in the country and my property in very heavily wooded I have a 36x30 pole barn I keep my camper in and it is always fun backing it in. I wasn't sure if I would have to drop a few more trees to be able to park the new rig in the pole barn it is about 5 feet longer than the Rockwood. I was impressed it seemed easier to get it in compared to the Rockwood and the Wife is not pissed at me for losing my temper as she helped back it in like I did with the Rockwood .

I had PM'ed Pirogue asking him about the bed dimensions as we had just recently bought a RV size memory foam mattress for the Rookwood and the dealer said they would change it for us. It was too small length wise only 76" and the pedestal is 78" so we just put a 3" foam pad on top of it for now.

My 2003 F-250 diesel seemed to pull it just fine, I only have a 3.55 gear in it so it takes it longer to get rolling but, once at speed it just purrs like a kitten and fuel economy dropped only about a 1/2 mile a gallon. I did have to add a little more voltage to the brake controller as it wanted to push more then the Rockwood.

All in all I am very happy with the purchase and look forward to many great trips in it .
RickV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 11:05 AM   #2

Congrats on your 2014 Crusader 325res Touring Edition. We have the same problem with some of the light switches being behind the control panel door. I've been thinking of how to make it easier and maybe swapping the original light switches with lit rocker switches. Now I've got to find one that's lit all the time, not just when it's switched on.
Attached Images

Wiscampsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 11:21 AM   #3

Congratulations on your new crusader! We just purchased ours in December 315rst but haven't been able to use it yet due to the cold, snow and sleet. We too have a kitchen light switch behind the door that is with slide controls but couldn't tell you if we like or not like yet.
Todouble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 11:33 AM   #4

Welcome

Welcome to the Crusader Club of Forest River. We have a Limited Production 270RET built back in late 2011-12. Have had our share of problems, nothing that could not be fixed. The Tech guys at Goshen last year did a song and dance on our rig while there, got everything taken care of. We have done some simple modifications here and there to improve the breed. Preparing to leave Georgia the first of May for Alaska. Will be at least a three month trip, very excited because this is why we purchase the 270 in the first place. We also have a Sunnybrook Travel Trailer on our deeded lot in North Georgia, we will call that home base one day. Have relatives there in Jacksonville, Kicliter.
Take Care, let us know when you come up this way, we will be down there come December 2014..
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture1.jpg
Views:	293
Size:	43.6 KB
ID:	46077   Click image for larger version

Name:	PC290002.jpg
Views:	267
Size:	43.1 KB
ID:	46078   Click image for larger version

Name:	004.jpg
Views:	279
Size:	33.8 KB
ID:	46079  
2012 Jeep Compass Limited
1985 S-10 One Owner:
LKicklight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 11:37 AM   #5

Congratulations on the new 325 RES. Here is a tip on the auto level. Start the auto level process with the nose slightly down. If you start with the nose high it wants to raise the rear to meet the front, next thing the wheels are off the ground, then you may flip the equalizer on the wheels. Happen to me last year on our summer trip.

Another tip is to watch the long pantry door on opening the kitchen slide. During travel our pantry door came opened, did not see it when opening the slide, slide lip caught it tried to peel the door off from the hinges. Told Prime Time and they sent a door lock like on the Sanibel model.

btritschler1437 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 01:46 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by LKicklight View Post
Welcome to the Crusader Club of Forest River. We have a Limited Production 270RET built back in late 2011-12. Have had our share of problems, nothing that could not be fixed. The Tech guys at Goshen last year did a song and dance on our rig while there, got everything taken care of. We have done some simple modifications here and there to improve the breed. Preparing to leave Georgia the first of May for Alaska. Will be at least a three month trip, very excited because this is why we purchase the 270 in the first place. We also have a Sunnybrook Travel Trailer on our deeded lot in North Georgia, we will call that home base one day. Have relatives there in Jacksonville, Kicliter.
Take Care, let us know when you come up this way, we will be down there come December 2014..
Are you anywhere near High Falls State Park? We are thinking about a trip up there the end of April there is a big BBQ Festival in Barnesville and the BBQ Pitmasters are doing a show from there.
Old 02-11-2014, 01:49 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiscampsin View Post
Congrats on your 2014 Crusader 325res Touring Edition. We have the same problem with some of the light switches being behind the control panel door. I've been thinking of how to make it easier and maybe swapping the original light switches with lit rocker switches. Now I've got to find one that's lit all the time, not just when it's switched on.
That sounds like a good idea let me know if you find em. Would like to find em in that light blue color like the ones above the bed.
Old 02-11-2014, 01:54 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by btritschler1437 View Post
Congratulations on the new 325 RES. Here is a tip on the auto level. Start the auto level process with the nose slightly down. If you start with the nose high it wants to raise the rear to meet the front, next thing the wheels are off the ground, then you may flip the equalizer on the wheels. Happen to me last year on our summer trip.

Another tip is to watch the long pantry door on opening the kitchen slide. During travel our pantry door came opened, did not see it when opening the slide, slide lip caught it tried to peel the door off from the hinges. Told Prime Time and they sent a door lock like on the Sanibel model.
Thanks for the tip on the Auto Level. I had a problem yesterday when I went to reconnect it was way to high and it didn't return to the drop height I wasn't sure why maybe thats why. The model we got is a slightly different package there is no big pantry due to the Queen Sleeper Sofa and the double refrig also made the shower stall a little smaller. Got a question for you or any other 325res owner we are trying to figure out where to put up a towel bar or rack to hang wet towels on. If you have one where did you mount it? I am thinking on the door or above the toilet.
Old 02-11-2014, 02:27 PM   #9

Congrats on your new Crusader. We also did a LOT of shopping, and nothing compared to the 325RES, so many great features - we love ours.
We did have some minor issues, but nothing I could not handle myself and we enjoyed 6 trips with it in Michigan last summer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickV View Post
... Got a question for you or any other 325res owner we are trying to figure out where to put up a towel bar or rack to hang wet towels on. If you have one where did you mount it? I am thinking on the door or above the toilet.
That sounds like a good idea. I mounted a hand towel bar on the wall to the right of the vanity. We really like the bathroom with the big shower, but do need some more towel storage. Thinking about some kind of rack above the toilet.

Enjoy your new Crusader!
Curt Q20

zs325RES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 03:08 PM   #10

ours has the larger shower with no linen closet next to it - has factory installed towel bar over toilet but no tp holder or hand towel ring....it has the pantry with rv fridge and lane sleeper sofa - agree 100% on placement of light switches...should be more accessible - and ours has no switch for bedroom - have to turn manually over head
heavynlori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 03:13 PM   #11

Our new 2014 Crusader 325res observations

we use the washer/dryer area for towels and clothes hamper storage - on the plus side we have a cool kitchen faucet with a real sprayer - you don't realize how much you use one of those little things until you do not have one - have not seen one like it but it came that way 👍
Old 02-11-2014, 03:15 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by heavynlori View Post
ours has the larger shower with no linen closet next to it - has factory installed towel bar over toilet but no tp holder or hand towel ring....it has the pantry with rv fridge and lane sleeper sofa - agree 100% on placement of light switches...should be more accessible - and ours has no switch for bedroom - have to turn manually over head
They had that model too but, the wife liked the double frige with the stainless steel doors and the queen sleeper and was willing to give up the bigger bathroom and pantry for it.
Old 02-11-2014, 03:19 PM   #13

we don't use the sleeper sofa - it is for grandkids 😄- and we are on a seasonal spot so we like the pantry and bath setup - it is puzzling to know they offer so many differences in the so-called same model numbers....
Old 02-11-2014, 03:33 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by heavynlori View Post
we don't use the sleeper sofa - it is for grandkids 😄- and we are on a seasonal spot so we like the pantry and bath setup - it is puzzling to know they offer so many differences in the so-called same model numbers....
It is just different packages. The wife noticed last night when you take the cushions off the Sofa there is a separation with velcro to connect so you actually canmake another smaller one person bed (at least that is what we think it is for).
Old 02-12-2014, 06:16 PM   #15

No real function for that Velcro other than style of cushion. If the bed idea works for you go for it.
Old 02-13-2014, 09:30 PM   #16
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by irishrv View Post
No real function for that Velcro other than style of cushion. If the bed idea works for you go for it.
DW feels the same way.She feels it's just to keep the cushions tight and straight. We'll have to double check when we take the cover off in a few weeks.
grayfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 07:51 AM   #17

Sofa Bed

Unless they have changed the sofa out, do not try sleeping on that thing, it will kill you, most un-comfortable!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by grayfox View Post
DW feels the same way.She feels it's just to keep the cushions tight and straight. We'll have to double check when we take the cover off in a few weeks.
1985 S-10 One Owner:
Old 02-14-2014, 09:16 AM   #18
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Kickster, The furniture was all upgraded since 2011. Every thing is Lane furniture on the 2014s. Our 2012 sofa bed was the one with the air bed or air mattress. Our 2014 looks to be much more comfortable.

BTW, keep a good log on your you trip to Alaska. We're planinig a 2015 trip to Alaska, so we'll have plenty of questions for you and DW if you don't mind.
grayfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 04:26 PM   #19

Up-Grades

Yep, we have he air mattress, blow it up, put it down like you are going to sleep on it, after about an hour, your head is about 5 degrees lower than your feet! No way to fix that unless you take the whole thing apart, since no one ever sleeps on it, just left it like it is: We did put the air mattress down in the master:

Quote:
Originally Posted by grayfox View Post
Kickster, The furniture was all upgraded since 2011. Every thing is Lane furniture on the 2014s. Our 2012 sofa bed was the one with the air bed or air mattress. Our 2014 looks to be much more comfortable.

BTW, keep a good log on your you trip to Alaska. We're planinig a 2015 trip to Alaska, so we'll have plenty of questions for you and DW if you don't mind.
1985 S-10 One Owner:
Old 02-14-2014, 04:41 PM   #20

The Sleeper Sofa in our Rockwood was crappy too. We have one of those nice infllatable ones in a bag that we use. I have a 12 volt Coleman air pump that blows it up in a few minutes. We only use it once a year when we meet a large group of people at the Peace River in Arcadia, Fl.

Tags
crusader