Old 06-30-2012, 04:10 PM   #1

Outdoor kitchen door

I was getting ready to leave for a trip to Cedar Point amusement park in Ohio with the kids. I was taking care of some last minute things the night before and I opened the outdoor kitchen door and the latch came completely off at the right upper corner. It appears as though there is a small piece of aluminum that only runs about four inches for the screws to go in to and they came completely out. Has anyone had this happen to them. Any suggestions on what to do?

Old 07-01-2012, 07:35 PM   #2

I have not had that happen to me. It looks like two screws keep the slam latch in place. I would loosen the screws and re-postion the latch temporarily. I would worry about long term water intrusion. I would make sure to caulk it if the re-position of the slam latch works.

Old 07-02-2012, 02:34 PM   #3

Thanks for your reply. The part that came undone was on the actual door. There are two screws that hold both corners of the door in the right/left upper corners on the actual door. The molding on the top of the door is actually separating from the white plastic on the inside of the door. I'll have to take a picture.
Old 07-03-2012, 08:49 AM   #4

Sorry...thought you ment the latches at the bottom of the door. First, how old is the trailer? Under warranty? Make them fix it. If not, I would take the door off, take off the hinges. Check to see if the screws stripped out the frame....make sure they were screwed into the frame to begin with.....Get stainless steal screws one size larger than existing screws, buy some butyl tape, squirt some silicone in all existing holes, then wipe off excess, put butyl tape between the door and the hinge and on the trailer where the hinge attaches, reattach door, trim excess tape.
Old 07-03-2012, 09:24 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by padave65 View Post
Sorry...thought you ment the latches at the bottom of the door. First, how old is the trailer? Under warranty? Make them fix it. If not, I would take the door off, take off the hinges. Check to see if the screws stripped out the frame....make sure they were screwed into the frame to begin with.....Get stainless steal screws one size larger than existing screws, buy some butyl tape, squirt some silicone in all existing holes, then wipe off excess, put butyl tape between the door and the hinge and on the trailer where the hinge attaches, reattach door, trim excess tape.
I love this forum for this reason!

PADAVE all but drove to Michigan to fix the door, always thorough great info!
Old 07-03-2012, 09:27 AM   #6
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by btmfdr

I love this forum for this reason!

PADAVE all but drove to Michigan to fix the door, always thorough great info!
Seems like all of us would go the extra mile!
Old 07-03-2012, 07:02 PM   #7

Thanks for the helpful info. It is a 2013 primetime tracer 3150 BHS. It is under warranty and I will be takin it in. I was just surprised that a brand new travel trailer would have this type of problem. We had never taken it camping up until that trip. I ended up having to drive a couple new screws in as a temp fix because we were leaving the next morning. Again.....thanks for the helpful replies!!!
Old 07-20-2012, 08:29 PM   #8

I have found that many of our cabinet door screws and others throughout had been stripped. My guess is over tightening during their installation. For most of mine I was able to remove the screws, wait for some liquid nails to harden in the screw holes and re tap them in.
Old 07-22-2012, 02:32 AM   #9

Send a message via Yahoo to JoeyO
I'm trying to change the two locks out on the kitchen hatch on my 2012 Tracer 3150 BHS. There really is no support for the locks. Just the four screws and that black plactic plate on the inside of the hatch. Line up the lock holes to the plastic plate and screw it down. There is no support structure inside the hatch itself. It's a very simple design and it might not have been properly tightened. You should not have to see a dealer to fix that if I'm understanding your kitchen hatch situation correctly. Just trying to save you some time and money moving your trailer to the dealer etc. good luck!
2011 Expedition 5.4L 4x4 Limited
2012 Tracer 3150BHD Touring Edition
Semper Fi
JoeyO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 11:21 AM   #10

Took it to the dealer and they replaced the whole door under warranty!