Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-22-2011, 11:57 AM   #1

Outside speakers

On my LaCrosse the outside speakers are just as loud on the inside? Removed the cover on the end of the cabinet there in and there just THERE no speakerbox or buffer, anyone tried to put something there to damper the sound?
2011: 365
2012: 365
tbritt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 12:03 PM   #2

Are you wanting to not have sound inside when speakers are on outside? You can put a manual switch that you can cut power off to the inside ones when you just want outside ones on? Or your A/V Reciever doesn't have controls for separating the speakers? Like A-B or A or just B on ?

Ruben Zamora
2007 Silverado 2500HD 4x4 Dmax/Allison, 4" Exhaust-no cat-no muffler
2012 Palomino Puma 23FB
RubenZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 12:41 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by RubenZ View Post
Are you wanting to not have sound inside when speakers are on outside? You can put a manual switch that you can cut power off to the inside ones when you just want outside ones on? Or your A/V Reciever doesn't have controls for separating the speakers? Like A-B or A or just B on ?
I think what he is saying is that there is no barrier between the back of the outside speakers within the cabinet in the camper.

That seems strange that they did not box them in with anything. You have a different trailer than me, but I'm going to check mine to see how they have been installed. If you can get to the backside of the speakers, which is sounds like you have, it shouldn't be too difficult to build boxes around them. Way back when, in my youth, I remember buying covers for the speakers in the back deck of my car that were made out of heavy cardboard and insulation. The point of those were to push the sound back up and out the speaker instead of getting lost in the truck. Same principle should apply here though.
Old 06-22-2011, 01:05 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killman View Post
I remember buying covers for the speakers in the back deck of my car that were made out of heavy cardboard and insulation. The point of those were to push the sound back up and out the speaker instead of getting lost in the truck. Same principle should apply here though.
Are you talking about these? Speaker Baffles

Ruben Zamora
2012 Palomino Puma 23FB
Old 06-22-2011, 01:05 PM   #5

Quote:
I have the speaker controls to seclect whhich ones I want... its that they hace no baffle to the inside
Old 06-22-2011, 01:08 PM   #6

CHeck the link I just put, you can purchase the baffles from amazon.

Ruben Zamora
2012 Palomino Puma 23FB
Old 06-22-2011, 01:23 PM   #7

Quote:
CHeck the link I just put, you can purchase the baffles from amazon.
Thanks I may try that, but for now I'm gonna see if I cut some thick foam and see how that works
Old 06-22-2011, 01:24 PM   #8

They also sell dyna mat, helps alot. You can buy at any stereo shop. My radio I select fader and rear only outside speakers work.
showtime0022 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 02:28 PM   #9

Good news - We have the same trailers and I haven't noticed that problem, so I'll check mine to see how they're done.

Bad news - It's still at the dealers getting warranty work done, so i can't check it right now!
grhodes50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 03:01 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by grhodes50 View Post
Good news - We have the same trailers and I haven't noticed that problem, so I'll check mine to see how they're done.

Bad news - It's still at the dealers getting warranty work done, so i can't check it right now!
Thanks Gary hope you do better at the dealers than I did last time 7 hours and really nothing done, did put on a new awning tube but the canvas is sooo loose its worse than before. Yea the speakers are mounted in the overhead cabniet and with the "C" button on it's as loud in the trailer as it is outside, let me know
Old 06-24-2011, 03:27 PM   #11

I took my tt to them a week ago Tuesday. To my surprise they said it would be ready that afternoon. They were putting a rush on it because I have been waiting since March when the parts list was turned in.
I talked to them 15 minutes ago. They said I can probably pick it up tomorrow. I'm waiting on a call back.
So sometime in the next two weeks when I pick it up I'll let you know.
Old 06-25-2011, 09:49 PM   #12

I picked up the trailer today and checked the outside speakers inside, in the overhead cabinets. Each end of the cabinets where the speakers are located are completely closed in.
Old 06-26-2011, 07:28 AM   #13

We ordered our TT with external speakers. When it arrived, we found that the factory had "forgotten" to install them. (The same thing happened with the roof ladder.) So the dealer said that he'd mount the speakers (and the ladder) in his shop. The day that we arrived for the PDI, we found that he had. Except that instead of installing the speakers up-high, just under the awning, he installed them on the same angle-down speaker housings, but mounted just over the wheel-well, so that the speaker backs are cut into the two benchseats of the dinettes. Apparently, he couldn't figure out how to get the wires into the upper cabinet area without having them exposed. Pulling them up through the adjoining refrigerator cabinet, or even using a simple wire-mold weren't as obvious a solution.

I guess that's what happens when they assign some unsupervised 19 y/o kid to install a pair of speakers....

2022 Coachmen Leprechaun 319MB
2022 Ford Ranger toad
Fire Instructor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 11:25 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by grhodes50 View Post
I picked up the trailer today and checked the outside speakers inside, in the overhead cabinets. Each end of the cabinets where the speakers are located are completely closed in.
Thanks Gary, mine are closed in by the end plate 2 screws and there they were, trun them on and click the outside speakers and see if you don't hear them inside for me.
Old 06-26-2011, 11:54 AM   #15

I have had them on before and I can hear them inside, but it's muffled quite a bit. I went out again and listened to make sure and the same, just a muffled sound. No where near the quality or volume that I hear out side. Here's a few pics to make sure ours look the same.

You could take off the panel inside the cabinet and try to line the three walls with foam padding or something similar. I don't think it will have any adverse effects to the sound outside and it should help out on the inside volume.

Hope this helps.
Old 06-26-2011, 12:12 PM   #16

Yep all the same as me, I added some foam pads all around the end of those compartments,top bottom and sides it has helped alot but when it comes to those NASCAR "crank it up" boy do I get in trouble From the DGF hehe!!!!
Old 07-12-2011, 11:53 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire Instructor View Post
We ordered our TT with external speakers. When it arrived, we found that the factory had "forgotten" to install them. (The same thing happened with the roof ladder.) So the dealer said that he'd mount the speakers (and the ladder) in his shop. The day that we arrived for the PDI, we found that he had. Except that instead of installing the speakers up-high, just under the awning, he installed them on the same angle-down speaker housings, but mounted just over the wheel-well, so that the speaker backs are cut into the two benchseats of the dinettes. Apparently, he couldn't figure out how to get the wires into the upper cabinet area without having them exposed. Pulling them up through the adjoining refrigerator cabinet, or even using a simple wire-mold weren't as obvious a solution.

I guess that's what happens when they assign some unsupervised 19 y/o kid to install a pair of speakers....
There are several manufacturers that install them down low so that the sound is broadcast to those at that level. Your neighbors on the site next to you appreciate them that way for sure.
mister_d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 08:30 PM   #18

Mounted high or low, my neighbors can't complain cause it's to loud inside the trailer and the DGF won't let me "crank it up" still working on my fix!!!