Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-14-2012, 06:58 PM   #1

Outside Table Mod

I've been waiting for a free day to do this project for quite some time and today fit the bill. We had something similar on our Roo hybrid previously and have missed having one since the change. I'll post specifics when on a desktop computer.

mister_d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 07:02 PM   #2

Very nice! Looking forward to the details.

2022 Coachmen Leprechaun 319MB
2022 Ford Ranger toad
Fire Instructor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 07:55 PM   #3

Nice job! I'm looking forward to those specifics too.
2 Wilderness Systems Kayaks
Nights Spent Camping in 2011 (19), 2012 (16)
https://www.armadillotimes.com
HondoPatrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 08:52 PM   #4

looks great, I may do something like this in the future
Old 07-14-2012, 10:49 PM   #5

Thanks for the compliments

I purchased the railing pictured below from factoryrvsurplus after a quick google search for "table support." I've never dealt with them before but they were quick and easy to work with.

The pieces were about 30" but I trimmed them down a little. I made the one on the wall a few inches shorter than the one attached to the shelf so that it would be hidden when the shelf was on. They come pre-drilled and I left 6 holes on both pieces.

- 20-0609 Table Support 2 PC. - Price: $5.39 - Factory RV Surplus - 1611 W Bristol St, Elkhart, IN 46514 (800) 325-1461 (574) 262-3327

It's too dark to take more pictures of it right now, but basically I screwed the piece on the right (curve side up) to the trailer wall and the piece on the left to the piece of countertop. I purchased the stainless steel screws and caulk from Lowes.

I'm tired and can't remember the sizes of the screws, but the ones that went into the trailer were not more than 2" long. I thought about going all the way through and into a backer board of some sort, but with the support under it and the reality of never having more than say 20lbs on it, I wasn't too worried. On my particular trailer, behind this area of wall is my kitchen sink. Through either cabinet door, I could easily see the opposite side. In the future, if need be, I'll be able to use longer screws and go the other route.

Before screwing into the wall, I measured about a gazillion times, checked level just as many, and pencil marked my plan. I then drilled starter holes for the screws and filled them with caulk. The railing attached quickly and easily and I could breathe again.

Caulk (if it wasn't this exact one it was similar - not silicone)
Shop DAP 11.2 oz White Latex Window and Door Caulk at Lowes.com

It looks like PrimeTime has kitchen sink covers that you could order to use as a shelf, but the countertop I have was a gift from PrimeTime when I first purchased the trailer. Chris Hermon, Jeff Rank, and the guys are pretty cool no matter what everyone says about them(;

The support under the table is just a piece of wood that I had in the garage from who knows when/what. I used my dad's jigsaw and router to cut it a little more fancy than I'm used to, but the kids wanted to go see grandpa anyhow so it worked out. The support is connected to the shelf by a piano hinge that I also picked up at Lowes. The hinge allows me to fold up the shelf and stow it next to the couch when not in use.

I'll see about getting more pictures up ... it'd be easier if the droid app worked as it should.
Old 07-15-2012, 03:30 PM   #6

I'm missing the location of the edit post feature on this site?

Whatever.. quick video below

Old 07-15-2012, 04:02 PM   #7
Too old to be too smart

I believe "Edit" expires after two hours.

Pop

2000 F-350 7.3L CC/LB 4WD Lariat 3.73's
SpringerPop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 04:10 PM   #8
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by mister_d View Post
I'm missing the location of the edit post feature on this site?

Whatever.. quick video below

Great idea. I didn't realize it was removable and now I want one.

Not sure what you mean about missing the edit post feature - are you referring to this site? If so, were you able to locate it? There should be row of green tabs/buttons at the bottom of your post on the right side.

Formerly owned 2011 Salem Cruise Lite 20RBXL & 2011 Toyota Tundra Dbl Cab
Terier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 06:08 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

This post reminds me that I need to replace the outside table on my Shamrock. The screws on mine pulled out of the particle board they called a table that came with my trailer.

The counter top you used looks great.

Much sturdier, too, I bet!

2012 Shamrock 233S
2008 Toyota Sequoia 5.7L 4WD
Triguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 06:45 PM   #10
Mod free 5er

Beautiful job! Was wondering how long it will last with the wh vent right below it. Could it have been mounted on the left side of the vent and still been functional?
Old 07-17-2012, 09:28 AM   #11

Thanks again for the compliments(:

Terier: I was looking to edit my previous post instead of creating a new one. I didn't realize that the option expired after a time like SpringerPop mentioned.

Triguy: We used to have a 2007 Roo 23ss that had the table ... this is very similar but I hope you're right and this one is a bit sturdier.

Dunnnc: More to the right could have been done but at the time my brain was focused on centering it under the window that isn't pictured. More to the left and I wouldn't be able to see the other side of the wall in the case that I wanted to install a backer board in the future. I'm hoping the WH doesn't affect it too much.
Old 07-17-2012, 09:42 AM   #12
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by mister_d View Post
... I'm hoping the WH doesn't affect it too much.
You might be able to add a removable sheet metal deflector to the wh vent or the bottom of the table top if necessary.
Old 07-17-2012, 11:30 AM   #13

Nice job !gave me an idea!
SALTY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 01:44 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunnnc View Post
You might be able to add a removable sheet metal deflector to the wh vent or the bottom of the table top if necessary.
Good idea(: I have some reflectix left over that I could attach to the bottom and because of the lip, it'd go relatively unnoticed.

Salty: Yay! That's the only reason I posted it - kind of a payback for all the good ideas I've gotten off RV forums over the years.