Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-16-2016, 11:13 PM   #1
jlf

Oxidation cap.

The front cap of our 2014 33rl has the famous white oxidation. When it first started, my husband thought it was running off the roof. Then when I read of all the cases on here, I contacted FR. Today I received a answer from FR. I need not say we are very disappointed and frustrated. I know some people have gotten their caps fixed even though they were out of warranty. We were never provided the opportunity from the dealer to have extend the warranty. Here is the reply from. Fr.

Thank you for contacting Forest River, Inc.

We are certainly sorry to hear about the issue with your cap. There is no defect. This is normal wear and tear and, as you outlined, requires regular maintenance. It is due to environmental conditions and will occur in anything made of this material. (boats, RVs, etc...). I have attached the gelcoat maintenance guide as recommended by our vendor for your reference. Should this not prove helpful, a 3 stage wet sand and clear coat application can be used to restore the finish.

Your warranty expired with us on, 09/13/2014. We respectfully decline participation in this issue.

You will find a list of dealers that can assist you further should you wish at, Forest River RV Dealer Locator - Forest River, Inc..

Thank you,

Henry Sears
Cedar Creek Warranty
Forest River, Inc
Office: 260.593.4000
Fax: 574.322.6751
Email: hsears@forestriverinc.com

Does anyone have any suggestions or just give up? Thanks
jlf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2016, 09:15 AM   #2
Toy-aholic

go to the Crusader faded cap thread....you will see a link to Rick K....he is the go to guy...that I went to. Got mine done out of warr. Good luck.
Old 03-19-2016, 09:20 AM   #3

30 months seems to be the common denominator from what I've read in various threads on this subject.
rracer5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2016, 11:55 PM   #4
jlf

Oxidation Cap

Quote:
Originally Posted by EXGMTech View Post
go to the Crusader faded cap thread....you will see a link to Rick K....he is the go to guy...that I went to. Got mine done out of warr. Good luck.
Thank you for your help and suggestion. I actually sent another reply with pictures to FR. He did say after consulting with his supervisor, that they would help us out. If we took our RV to the factory, they would to the work for free. If we took it to our dealer to have painted, we would have some cost. Not only am I thankful I didn't give up, but also to FR who did offer assistance. We had this problem before with our last RV that was made by Fleetwood. They turned us down cold. Now that we are going to repaint the cap, not sure if I want to keep the same color, or go to the lighter color. Always something.
jlf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2016, 07:35 AM   #5
Toy-aholic

When I had my issue, they first offered "assistance" in the repaint cost.....I was not ok with that. I found a factory rep @ a show & he was the one that pulled the right strings that got it covered 100%. I believe the fact I didn't go in with both guns blasting helped my situation. I was nice & so were they.

The rep admitted there was a problem with the gelcoat....so the "normal wear & tear" excuse is a load of crap. Good luck!
Old 03-20-2016, 08:03 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlf View Post
Thank you for your help and suggestion. I actually sent another reply with pictures to FR. He did say after consulting with his supervisor, that they would help us out. If we took our RV to the factory, they would to the work for free. If we took it to our dealer to have painted, we would have some cost. Not only am I thankful I didn't give up, but also to FR who did offer assistance. We had this problem before with our last RV that was made by Fleetwood. They turned us down cold. Now that we are going to repaint the cap, not sure if I want to keep the same color, or go to the lighter color. Always something.
I'm glad to hear FR stepped up to the plate, as far as requesting another color I doubt if they would do that, be thankful they are going to atleast repaint it.

Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2016, 08:06 AM   #7

We Also had the option to take our wildcat back to the factory or find a dealer closer to us
as elkhart is about 350 miles from us (not really to bad) we chose the factory and glad we did
when we droped it off the service manager asked if we had a list of things for them to look at,
we did a walk through, made a list, he made a copy for us to keep.
then when we picked it up he said they found a problem with one of the slides that they fixed
While they were at it they put all new seals on all slides, resealed the entire roof and as he said
(We went through it with a fine tooth comb it is better than new)
We cold not be happier with the service we got
the only problem is we took it in first on november and picked it up just after thanksgiving
then had to put it in storage for the year, so we have not gotten to enjoy it yet.
but we pick it up this week and start getting ready
good luck on yours

Stop worrying about the potholes in the road and enjoy the journey
muddyrode is offline   Reply With Quote