Old 08-28-2014, 09:08 PM   #1
Palomino vs Prime time

Looking at some 5th wheels, two that are in the running are a Columbus 385bh and a primetime 360bhs.

Are there any noticeable difference in build quality? Known issues with either?

Need to add the Salem Hemisphere 356qbq to this as well, just realized it being the third one we are interested in they are all part of the same parent company.

I currently own a keystone product and understand that there may be some differences from one line to another but nuts and bolts for the most will be the same. In some cases though there are certain items to stay away from, like to know your thoughts.

X96mnn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2014, 09:55 PM   #2
Just looking at pics and specs online, I think they are pretty similar in quality. Personally, I've always liked the Columbus 385bh and would have considered one if i had a bigger truck. Hopefully owners of them will chime in. I looked at the 356qbq, but to me, felt a bit less quality than our Sabre

Joel and Teresa
2016 Sabre 34TBOK
2006 GMC 3500 CC LB DRW 4X4
jtstromsburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2014, 10:06 PM   #3
They are all good units with quality being mid range on any of these RV's.

I have the Crusader 355BHQ (model before the 360 and 1' shorter because of the king bed)and have had less problems than what some of the people here report with other models.

The one thing I would do on any of them is check the yellow sticker on all of them and make sure you don't get a 40'+ 5er with 1500lbs or less cargo carrying capacity or CCC.

They will all have their issues and for the most part are really minor and will get you out and camping.

Shane & Antoinette
2012 Ford F-450 SuperDuty
2013 Crusader 355BHQ
Lynkage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 03:51 AM   #4
Thank you for the responses. My TV is a 2014 Crew Cab 8ft box, Cummins dually rated for 19000pds.

Small issues I expect, this will be my third camper but first fifth. I don't consider screws coming loose or appliances breaking "issues". One happens and the other is just bad luck, poor dealers are not the fault of the manufacturer as well.

What I am wondering is, how are the axels, frame and overall construction. I know I have looked are some brands where I have found multiple reports of delimitation on the backs, frame separation in the fronts on the hitch, (tire blow outs but that happens), bearing issues, floor issues and known leaks on the slides. Those are the types of things I want to stay clear of. Yes someone can have bad luck but when I see the majority reporting the exact same problem makes me think it is better to stay away. The product line I am speaking about above are Keystone products, which I own a sprinter model now and have no issues, they make and easy 30 different kinds and some of them seem to be problematic.
X96mnn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 07:09 AM   #5
Though the floor plans are similar, one if the selling points for me was the 30"X60" shower in the Columbus. Go stand in the Crusader's shower, then stand in the Columbus' shower. We have an early production 320RS but since we've worked out the bugs, we've really enjoyed it. The 385BH comes with 7,000# axles standard and has a 4,000# cargo capacity. It's also 100" wide. The 385BH has a higher "R" rating factor, larger capacity hot water heater, too.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
2013 Palomino Columbus 320RS
2007 Dodge RAM 2500 6.7 Cummins
Reese 15K manual slider
M.I.L. in Florida for good!!
amxpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 06:15 PM   #6
I came from a keystone sprinter with a few small issues over the years but sold and bought the crusader 5th wheel. Had it out about 40 nights this year now and loving every minute of it! Goodluck

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums

Todouble is offline   Reply With Quote

palomino, prime time