We are new to the forum and new to trailering. We have just started out on our first major trip in our 2012 Crusader 290RLT-TE. We have had only minor cosmetic flaws which our dealer, Liberty RV, has been quick to remedy.
As my wife and I checked out all systems and practiced hitching and unhitching, it became obvious that we needed a systematic checklist. As an aircraft pilot, I'm used to these!
While this checklist is tailored to our 5th wheel, perhaps other might find this useful! As a "newbie", I would also appreciate all input!!!
Pre-hitch and/or Pre-roll Checklist
- Check weather reports and forecasts covering proposed route of travel, and make final “Go/ NoGo” decision.
- Retract rear leveling-jacks.
- Turn off heat/AC.
- Turn off hot water switches and trip hot water tank breaker to ‘off’.
- Set fridge to “Auto”.
- Retract antenna.
- Secure dinette chairs.
- Secure rocker chair.
- Secure TV.
- Check that all closet doors and drawers are securely closed; check that shower door and bathroom door are secure; check that fridge doors are secure.
- Check that all roof vents are securely closed.
- Turn off all unnecessary interior lights.
- Walk around and check that all slides are unimpeded on the exterior.
- Ensure interior paths of slides are clear of obstructions.
- Retract slides beginning with the heaviest.
- Check that all interior lights are off.
- Disconnect water and sewer connections.
- Disconnect and stow AC power cord.
- Walk around trailer; ensure rear leveling jacks are retracted and that all cargo doors are secure.
- Secure entrance door, handrail and steps.
- Lock slider hitch in desired position.
- Position truck to king pin and adjust landing gear.
- Connect 7-pin connector.
- Set trailer brakes.
- Hitch trailer and lock.
- Secure brake breakaway cable.
- Retract front landing gear and secure.
- Remove wheel chocks and stow. Pull trailer ahead; pick up and stow any leveling boards or blocks.
- Walk around both tow vehicle and trailer checking all lights and turn signals. Check that all baggage doors are secure and locked.
- Check that no items are left in the campsite.
- Move to suitable location (if necessary) prior to main roadway entrance and position and lock slider hitch for travel.
- Check that slider hitch is locked in travel position.