Old 09-13-2011, 09:41 PM   #1

We are seriously planning on making an offer on a 2012 Crusader 290RLT. The list price at our Canadian dealer is $41,900. I have been on the internet checking prices. They seem to range from $32000 to $42000. How much below dealer asking did you pay? We are impressed with the quality and floor plan. Seems like the manufacturers are interested in meeting the customers needs. Any comments from owners would be welcome. Thanks

portliz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 07:39 PM   #2
No responses and over 50 views. Did I ask something inappropriate? You don't have to be specific - even words like slightly or considerably would be helpful. My apologies if I have crossed a line here.

Old 09-14-2011, 07:47 PM   #3
Phat Phrog Stunt Team
dont be offended . and you didn't do anything wrong. its possible that no one may have your model that has been online. sooner or later someone that has bought your specific model will respond . i also looked at this post only because i seen it in recent threads not knowing what the specifics were about the post .
Sorry i cannot offer any advice either.
What i can tell you is i recently purchased my 5th wheel and i checked ALOT of dealers and the one i bought from was the cheapest .
prices ranged from 2 grand more all the way up to 6 grand more for the same make year and model .
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 07:50 PM   #4
You should be able to get it from a US dealer for $32 grand, and you don't have to go to the discounters.
I like the Crusaders as well, except that the basement isn't very tall. Ours is huge, and very, very useful.
crocus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 08:30 PM   #5
Do you mean that you have checked internet prices in the US that are lower?

Dealers here (in Canada) get mad when customers start quoting (cheaper) US prices.
They argue that the wages, property taxes etc...are higher in Canada therefore Canadian dealers can ask full list prices.
They also give you the "buy local" and "help the economy" guilt trip (bullsh!t).

Wherever you choose to buy from, either in Canada or the US, let the dealer reputation and best price be your main concerns.
2010 Dodge Ram 1500
2012 Rockwood 2306
DH (Alan), DD (Madison) and Zoey the lab,
Labzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2011, 10:05 PM   #6
Was at the Hershey Show today and the show special price posted was $33,000.00. They usually quote any trades at wholesale/trade in price so no or little markup in this price to show you an inflated trade price. Prime Time Units were getting good traffic, especially the Sanibel.
Keith & Brenda
2011 Crusader 290RLT
2011 F250 Lariat, Crew Cab, 6.7TD
KAB449 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 12:49 AM   #7
Site Team
Originally Posted by portliz View Post
No responses and over 50 views. Did I ask something inappropriate? You don't have to be specific - even words like slightly or considerably would be helpful. My apologies if I have crossed a line here.
I was one of the "50+" views without a reply. The only reason I didn't reply was that I thought you were asking directly about the unit you are considering. Since I didn't have that unit I can't answer your question.
Great choice for "Living within my means" and camping for one...

2011 Salem Cruise Lite 20RBXL & 2011 Toyota Tundra Dbl Cab
Camping History: 45 Trips / 133 Nights / 3736 Miles
FRF Social Group: Campers of the West
Terier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 06:06 AM   #8
Send a message via Skype™ to DAISY BOYKIN

I understand Canada have a free trade agreement, so there should be no problem about the import & taxes. I, like you was stunned by what the locals wanted versus the Internet prices. By driving 927 miles, I saved $13,000.00 with all the upgrades included. I have had no warranty problems with the local dealers. usually the salesman will state "IF YOU BUY ELSEWHERE, WE WILL NOT HONOR THE WARRANTY". I was told by the
"REPAIR & WARRANTY DEPARTMENT" of three dealers that the sales department does not speak for REPAIR & WARRANTY DEPARTMENT!
So, let your own judgement and bank account make your decision for you!

Do all your research about the unit you are interested in, check all you can on the Internet about pros & cons.

Most of all, Good luck!
Sid, Lois & HRH MISSY Terrible 2s SHIH TZU
2011 ROCKWOOD 8285 WS
2014 F-250 KING RANCH PS/SD/6R140/BFT
DAISY BOYKIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 06:32 AM   #9
Originally Posted by portliz View Post
Did I ask something inappropriate?
To a certain extent - yes.

Everytime Canadians (and I am one of them) ask price questions on RVs it stirs up lots of emotions, on both sides.

You see, Canadian RV dealers have always enjoyed healthy margins, 'cause of the higher cost of doing business in Canada BS. It's Low volume, high profits or High volume, obscene profits; the Canadian RV dealer way. But none will ever admit to that.

We also pay lots more retail taxes than most - if not all - states.

Bottom line, no one Canadian dealer will ever match a discounted US dealer price, none.

If you shop in the US, you will save substantial $$$ for sure, no ifs or buts.

But then you have to ask yourself, am I ready to drive there, pick it up, pay a fee at customs and Canadian Tire for an inspection, then the HST or other provincial tax to get your plate. All of which is VERY easy by the way, and US dealers who sell to Canadians will make it very easy.

Then there will be this oh-so hot issue of service and warranty. What will happen if I need service ?

Polite and restrained Canadians will most often swallow the pill, pay the piper and buy it locally - at the obscene high price and move on.

Bottom line: when a Canadian asks about price, he/she will be told to buy in the US and you'll save lots of $$$. Our Americans friends cannot swallow that pill.

Note that lending institutions in Canada will not finance a US purchase... so it has to be a Cash purchase. A risk that could affect their profits, RBC only makes $20 million in profits each day, day in and day out.

Good luck.

PS. For sure, when I buy another RV, I will buy from the US, worth the 4-5 hour drive to save $5,000 plus.
Denis & Diane
2010 Sabre 31REDS
Ford F-250 2011
* Happy Campers *
miatared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 08:39 AM   #10
Thank you all for your replies. We have a very good price from a local dealer who quoted a price - same as the US - without me even asking. Unfortunately he doesn't have one on the lot and that will delay our going south. The first dealer I talked to was not even moving on a price that was 4-5 thousand different than the local dealer. He has one on the lot. I think he thought we were getting prices from the US. When I quoted dealer price here he said he wouldn't/couldn't match and didn't know how he could do it at that price. He does have a unit on the lot. Guess that is his loss. We will probably order today from the local dealer. I didn't know that this was such a big deal. Obviously our local dealer doesn't play this silly game. I will gladly sing his praises to any Ontario people looking to buy.