Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-11-2018, 01:13 PM   #1

Prime time 297 RKS slide flex and AC

This 5th wheel has been in for warranty service more times than I’ve camped in it. Wondering if anyone has has the following problems too.

The coach will not cool below 78 degrees if it’s over 90 deg outside and it’s sitting in the sun.

When the back side slide is put in, it’s easy to see from the inside that the slide box/frame flexes badly. For example, with the slide out, the distance from the back of the theatre seat to the outside wall is 2”. With the slide in, the distance is 3”. I’m sure the distance from the bottom to top has to be a lot greater.

I might as well mention the rusting hub caps rusting due to poor chroming, and they say not covered under warranty.

Anyone else with these issues.
nailzscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2018, 08:47 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by nailzscott View Post
This 5th wheel has been in for warranty service more times than I’ve camped in it. Wondering if anyone has has the following problems too.

The coach will not cool below 78 degrees if it’s over 90 deg outside and it’s sitting in the sun.

When the back side slide is put in, it’s easy to see from the inside that the slide box/frame flexes badly. For example, with the slide out, the distance from the back of the theatre seat to the outside wall is 2”. With the slide in, the distance is 3”. I’m sure the distance from the bottom to top has to be a lot greater.

I might as well mention the rusting hub caps rusting due to poor chroming, and they say not covered under warranty.

Anyone else with these issues.

Normal due to the slide mechanism pulling/pushing on the bottom of the slide.

As for the A/C. The best you can hope for is a 15 - 20 degree difference between inside and outside temps. Especially if only one A/C is in use. If you have/install a second A/C, you may get better results.
rracer5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2018, 01:32 AM   #3

I have the same unit and have had 0 problems. As for the cooling I agree I think it needs a bigger unit or another to help it cool. Very happy with it.
Crusader 816 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2018, 10:56 AM   #4

Thanks for the input. We like the design of the unit but as of yesterday, we have reported 37 issues - a couple of which they deemed not warrantied (like rusting chrome hub caps after 2 times of use) and 6 or 7 that I reported but fixed myself.

On the AC, we just got back from camping where ours was in the shade 50% of the day and with it 90 degrees outside, the best we could do is 78 inside.

I measured the flex in the back slide yesterday and with the slide out and a square with a straight edge running up the outside wall, I moved the slide all the way in and the dimension gap at the top of the straight edge was 1 5/8". That seems to be a lot of flexing to happen each time it goes in and out. I've never seen that on any of my other rv's slides.

We had the fireplace replaced, the back slide removed to replace a seal, replacement of an outside seal, outside weatherstripping blew off during a trip, the main entry door was hard to close (due to latch interference) on hot days, cracked fender flare, wardrobe shelf support fell off twice - just to name a few.

Since you have the same unit, I have a question about the outside kitchen's stove. Did your unit come with an LP propane hose for the stove? And is it really the design to have to hook up the hose, then route it outside of the outside kitchen's door to hook it up to the propane fitting under the coach. With that design, you would have to unhook it every time you wanted to close the door.

Thanks
Old 08-14-2018, 10:58 AM   #5

Sorry, I just replied to rracer5's comments and accidentally replied to him instead of you - since you have the same coach as mine. Can you read that post and hopefully respond to me. Thanks
Old 08-23-2018, 01:36 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by nailzscott View Post
Since you have the same unit, I have a question about the outside kitchen's stove. Did your unit come with an LP propane hose for the stove? And is it really the design to have to hook up the hose, then route it outside of the outside kitchen's door to hook it up to the propane fitting under the coach. With that design, you would have to unhook it every time you wanted to close the door.

Thanks

That is the way our outdoor kitchen works.

Rember, "It's Camping!!"

2018 Avenger ATI 27RBS
BriaBeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2018, 02:15 PM   #7

I have the same issue with the outside kitchen gas line. Has anyone drilled a hole to run the gas line behind the stove to the port on the trailer frame? You will still need to disconnect the line before the slide was retracted but at least you could close the kitchen door while camped.
Windjammin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2018, 04:47 PM   #8

I haven't run a new propane hose yet, but I plan on getting a long one, drilling a hole in the bottom of the kitchen slide - back far enough so the hose will have room to move around as I pull and close the stove - and then run the hose in along the same hose/wire loom as the propane and electric that comes from the coach to the slide's inside refrigerator. That hose/wire path already has a flexible holder to keep the hoses and wires out of the way as the slide moves in and out.

Tags
prime time, slide