Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-01-2017, 12:59 PM   #1

Unhappy Prime time crusader 315rst 5th wheel

Having trouble with the a/c on this camper. Has two(2) a/c set up with dual control digital thermostat. When ring both units on hot days it keeps giving a E1 code. Can run the aft unit and it works fine.
Any suggestions?
Chunker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2017, 01:24 PM   #2

I've seen this issue before I would check out the technical section here on the forum. I have two AC units but they have different controls one is the main AC, then the master bedroom as a single unit that was installed at the dealership as an add-on. Wish the bedroom unit was ducted into the main system but it's not. Next time we buy a 5er fully ducted two AC system is a must.

Check this post out: http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...-ac-60950.html
esmoglo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2017, 07:15 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chunker View Post
Having trouble with the a/c on this camper. Has two(2) a/c set up with dual control digital thermostat. When ring both units on hot days it keeps giving a E1 code. Can run the aft unit and it works fine.
Any suggestions?

Check out this thread; http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...lp-118240.html.

The problem is more than likely in the RJ11 connectors up in the AC units. They get corroded due to extreme moisture.

This is how I finally fixed mine for good;

If you know which zone is flashing & know which AC unit that is on the roof then your next step is to get up on the roof and take the cover off that AC unit (requires a "square bit drive" tip for your drill or screwdriver.
Next, on the front half of the AC unit you will see a sheet metal enclosure (wish I had pics for you) with wires running into it. Facing the front of the AC unit is the sheet metal cover with about 8 1/4" screws. Take these screws out and CAREFULLY bend the sheet metal back (note the thin seal around the edge of the box you just opened up, make sure it stays in place). You are now looking down into the "air return" portion of the AC system. There should be "a bunch" of wires in there (probably just hanging there).
If so, this is where the problem begins. You should find "flat telephone" type communication cables in there. Somewhere you should also see a "modular coupler" connecting 2 "phone wires" together. In my case, this connector was all corroded because the wires were hanging down into the air return cavity exposing them to moisture in the returning air thus, corroding the connectors.
Disconnect the "phone wire" connections and clean or replace them if necessary. You can do this with the AC unit ON (they are low voltage communication wires). If after you've cleaned/replaced the cable ends and coupler (all parts available at Lowes/Home Depot etc. including the crimping tool for the new ends if necessary) and plug everything back together and the AC unit starts, then you have found and solved the problem.
Now, to keep from having the problem reoccur, I bundled them ALL together up as high in the box as close to the cover you bent out of the way as possible and secured the whole bundle by drilling 2 small holes in the sheet metal box just large enough to get a zip tie through to hold the bundle up out of the way.

Hopefully, this will work for you. As I mentioned, 3 trips by a local RV tech with instructions from Dometic to check and clean the communication cable connectors and it kept reoccurring! Finally, I went up and fixed it once and for all (hopefully) when I found the bottom of the return damp (from condensation) & put 2+2 together and went DUH!!!
rracer5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2017, 07:54 AM   #4

I had the same issue last summer. I know it seems like a simple fix but check/clean your air filters. Mine were dirty and it would cause the unit to freeze up once temps dropped in the evening. It would then show the E1 code. Your filters are in the 2 square registers in the ceiling.
Old 04-03-2017, 08:09 AM   #5
chesbass

Rracer5 is exactly right! Good instructions. I did one additional step once you replace those rj11 connectors buy some liquid electrical sealer that will help keep future moisture from getting in there. Your E-1 code on the thermostat indicates communication failure between the thermostat and the air conditioner it has nothing to do with the filters. Good luck.
chesba88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2017, 08:25 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by chesba88 View Post
Your E-1 code on the thermostat indicates communication failure between the thermostat and the air conditioner it has nothing to do with the filters. Good luck.
I would be more than happy to put you in touch with my service tech if you do not believe that a froze up unit will throw an e1 code.
Old 04-03-2017, 09:09 AM   #7
chesbass

Believe it or not most service techs do not really understand what the E1 thermostat code indicates. I have spoke with several and none of them understood. I even spoke to Primetime about this issue and they were unaware that was happening. They will usually tell you to replace the thermostat clean the filters or even replace the control module on the air conditioner. 99% of the time it's the connections on that phone cable and the rj11 connectors. Keeping your filters clean is essential to the efficiency and effectiveness of your air conditioner however it has nothing to do with the E1 code. You may find in the future that there is a coincidence between two because of the filters being clogged may have created additional moisture around those rj11 connectors prompting the E1 code. I would suggest that you have someone or yourself check those connectors inside the air conditioner on the roof.
chesba88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2017, 09:45 AM   #8

Quote:
You may find in the future that there is a coincidence between two because of the filters being clogged may have created additional moisture around those rj11 connectors prompting the E1 code. I would suggest that you have someone or yourself check those connectors inside the air conditioner on the roof.
We all understand what the E1 means, but it was no coincidence that my clogged filters triggered the E1 code, directly or indirectly due to additional moisture. It happened and clean filters corrected the issue. It can happen to others also, therefor I made the suggestion to clean the filters.
Old 04-03-2017, 01:27 PM   #9

I had the exact same problem, when I first picked up my 315RST. Fairly easy fix...
Ensure the thermostat is turned off. Remove external power. Disconnect the battery(ies). Leave it this way for 20 minutes. This allows the units to reset. Reconnect the battery(ies). Plug the power back in. Turn on the thermostat. Follow the instructions for resetting the thermostat (from the users guide). Everything should now work just fine.

I initially tried the reset procedure and it didn't work. After about 45 minutes of searching for something that works, I found this procedure and have had no problems, since.

Sorry, you must have posted the answer, while I was typing this. Didn't mean to spam the thread.
Never Enough Time Camping!!
ben31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2017, 09:29 PM   #10

Quote:
Rracer5 is exactly right! Good instructions. I did one additional step once you replace those rj11 connectors buy some liquid electrical sealer that will help keep future moisture from getting in there. Your E-1 code on the thermostat indicates communication failure between the thermostat and the air conditioner it has nothing to do with the filters. Good luck.
Ahh....I did forget to mention I "mumified" the connectors and bundle with electrical tape.

Quote:
Believe it or not most service techs do not really understand what the E1 thermostat code indicates. I have spoke with several and none of them understood. I even spoke to Primetime about this issue and they were unaware that was happening. They will usually tell you to replace the thermostat clean the filters or even replace the control module on the air conditioner. 99% of the time it's the connections on that phone cable and the rj11 connectors. Keeping your filters clean is essential to the efficiency and effectiveness of your air conditioner however it has nothing to do with the E1 code. You may find in the future that there is a coincidence between two because of the filters being clogged may have created additional moisture around those rj11 connectors prompting the E1 code. I would suggest that you have someone or yourself check those connectors inside the air conditioner on the roof.
The A/C's were installed per instructions from Dometic. It's Dometics design that had the connections inside the air return....go figure.
Most techs believe that it "has to be a bad part" & change the control module board (mine did). After that failed 3 days later, he started checking cables & connectors and found the corrosion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ben31 View Post
I had the exact same problem, when I first picked up my 315RST. Fairly easy fix...
Ensure the thermostat is turned off. Remove external power. Disconnect the battery(ies). Leave it this way for 20 minutes. This allows the units to reset. Reconnect the battery(ies). Plug the power back in. Turn on the thermostat. Follow the instructions for resetting the thermostat (from the users guide). Everything should now work just fine.

I initially tried the reset procedure and it didn't work. After about 45 minutes of searching for something that works, I found this procedure and have had no problems, since.

Sorry, you must have posted the answer, while I was typing this. Didn't mean to spam the thread.

I tried this also at first and although it did work, it was only temporary....E1 code returned. The only thing I figured is every once in a while, the entire system would perform a "self diagnostics" and throw the E1 code and shut the entire system down completely.....no A/C, no furnace....nuthin.
rracer5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2017, 02:17 PM   #11

I have a similar problem. My thermostat had an E1 code. Did the reset worked for 30 minutes then thermostat went completely dark. Dead
6 years weekend camping Class C
2017 camping 20 days and counting
Brand2328 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2017, 07:07 PM   #12

Big problem with ours too. We had a bad data line between the main unit and front unit. Had to cut both rj13 heads off cable and redo them. Condensate drain from front unit clogged and the head corroded.
Good SAM # 807510227
FROG # GA-0056-236
FMCA # F471293
Jlreeves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2017, 04:29 AM   #13

That was the problem two of the phone type connectors in the rear AC corroded and shorted out repair them unit is up and running Thanks to all for the awesome assistance. Cool again
Brand2328 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
5th wheel, crusader, prime time, wheel