Old 08-23-2012, 09:31 AM   #11

I myself would certainly like a larger refrigerator/freezer as well. However not being able to run it on gas would be a huge short coming. For some of the very same reasons already listed. Power outages at home or at a camp site. Keeping your food/beverages cold while on the road. Overnight stays at Walmart. Camping/rv'ing off the grid. Trips that are longer then 4 to 6 hours.

Only 2 choices as I see it. The industry needs to increase the size significantly of the fridge while maintaining its gas/electric capabilities. (Probably most feasible option)

Or

If refrigerator is changed to an electric household style then incorporate some sort of built in generator large enough to power it. Hopefully along the lines of a 3000 watt unit that could power the fridge as well as some extras. It would be best if said generator could run on propane so you don't have to carry another fuel source as well.

Old 08-23-2012, 09:44 AM   #12

I'm satisfied with the RV fridge I have. I have no requirement for a residential size. Mine is operable from April to November non stop, either on shore power from home, propane power on the road or pedestal power at a campground.

2015 Crossroads Zinger ZT28BH
Rugged Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 10:00 AM   #13

I would like a larger fridge, not residential size though. We camped 2 straight weeks, 4 people and had just enough space with constant rearranging. We ate at the camp 70% of the meals, other 30% ate out, so it was adequate. Slightly larger freezer would have been enough to keep more meats frozen until the morning of.
TTNewbees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 10:11 AM   #14
Mod free 5er

A home style refrigerator in a camper would be a definite TURN OFF for us and a surefire deal breaker. We 'snowbird' for 2-3 months and have no problem whatsoever with the rv type refrig. For what it's worth, since 1976, we have never had a problem with any rv refrigerator.
Old 08-23-2012, 10:12 AM   #15
Commercial Member

Good stuff - thanks for participating.

Let me add some more to this:

I totally get the off-road, dry camping, super long drives, and overnight objections. For those reasons, this is not a good idea.

However, is my family atypical in that we are almost exclusively using the RV a couple hours from home and always with hook-ups? SIDE BAR: My wife would NEVER dry camp no matter how much I need to understand the needs of our customers. Dry Camping to her means it didn't rain.

The comment about not being able to power it up to cool it down before leaving on a trip is another legitimate objection.

If we did this, it would NEVER be across the board standard. Maybe an option or maybe one model, who knows.
Old 08-23-2012, 10:14 AM   #16
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by RV Guy View Post

If we did this, it would NEVER be across the board standard. Maybe an option or maybe one model, who knows.
Good to have as an option RV Guy!

I'm with the guys who need to have the propane for my fridge. Dry camping and cooling while towing are the two reasons it is necessary for us. I don't want to be tethered to the grid 100% of the time.

Sure, bigger is better but not at the expense of loosing flexibility and usefulness for the type of camping we do.

Now, if I were on a seasonal spot or full-timing without having to move very often; than sure, a residential model with 110-only might make some sense.

2012 Shamrock 233S
2008 Toyota Sequoia 5.7L 4WD
Triguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 10:15 AM   #17

Your wife and mine would get along very nicely(;

I would like 2 or 3 more shelves and deeper door shelves. Our family of 4 frequently camps for 4-6 nights and very rarely eats out when on a trip.

We have always been able to load the fridge and freezer but I should get some sort of tetris award for making everything fit. Once everything is in, there is almost zero room for air to move around which is probably why there is so many people adding fans.

As usual, thanks for being different than the other companies out there.
Old 08-23-2012, 10:17 AM   #18
Commercial Member

dunnnc - please don't take this as criticism or a challenge. Sincere question - I would have suspected that you were a perfect candidate for this type of refrigerator - full-time in one location (if I read between the lines correctly). This is why us manufacturers get into trouble sometimes thinking we know everything

Would you mind elaborating just a little on why you would not prefer a larger 110 refrigerator instead of the RV type?

Thanks.
Old 08-23-2012, 10:22 AM   #19
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Another reason to have an outside kitchen.
Which has a residential style fridge.
Old 08-23-2012, 10:26 AM   #20
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by f1100turbo View Post
Another reason to have an outside kitchen.
Which has a residential style fridge.
I know what you mean, Turbo. We would love an outdoor kitchen but the only thing holding me back from buying a new trailer in the future with one is the lack of an RV fridge (Again, don't want to be on electric 100% of the time). Guess I can't have everything, but I wish I could

2012 Shamrock 233S
2008 Toyota Sequoia 5.7L 4WD
Triguy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
prime time