Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-18-2011, 03:54 PM   #21

I agree with Gary I don't like the look of them on the ceiling, but I would love to have them under the cabinets. When I first looked at it I thought of a tour bus. I don't want my 5th wheel looking like a tour bus. I think it would make great accent lights just not main lights on the ceiling.

Kellie

Brian, Kellie, Breanna & Alyssa
2011 Crusader 320RLT
BC11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 10:04 PM   #22

I agree with rracer5, Bright lights on the ceiling seem too commercial to me, not "homey". I do think they would look great as accent lighting in places such as under the cabinets in the galley, the ceiling in the bathroom where bright lights are needed. and maybe in the pass-thru storage area? How about starting a new trend ........ "factory installed" LED's under the trailer along the frame??? That would be cool!!!!
Medic44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 07:57 AM   #23
AKA Bluebird

Send a message via Yahoo to dimurrrw
Yep, too different! Kind of chops up the interior. Why not use LEDs in the fixtures you already have?

dimurrrw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 09:31 AM   #24
camping

I don't care for them. have never been a fan of overhead light for ambiance- only for task lighting. I think if you could incorporate them under or on top (if a high ceiling) of the cabinets that would be nice. I small amounts along the base would be nice as a nite light. as said before under the trailer would be cool- I just did some rope light under mine and it looks nice. I think the best use would be on the awning. JMHO

2007 Chevy 2500HD CC
2010 V-Lite 30WRLTS
Nights Camped 2011 -64
Nights Camped 2012 -50
"I Live in My Own World, But It's OK. They Know Me"
tentcamper1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 10:01 AM   #25

I'm undecided, but I'm leaning towards liking it.

Understanding this is barely even prototyping, here are my thoughts:
Thanks for asking for input.
Concept of LEDs as standard lighting: YES! I cannot for the life of me understand why the RV and auto industries haven't embraced LEDs more. ESPECIALLY the RV industry.
Understanding that LEDs may require a new standard for a fixture: YES. It's a different lighting system, so it makes sense to me that you're going to be thinking outside the fixture/box on installing them.
I'd like to see a comparison photo of a similar rig with conventional lighting. I'd also like to see a straight-ahead photo of this rig, not looking up at the lights. How does it throw light in the rig?

I'm assuming you guys are going to test the lighting levels with meters to compare levels?

So overall, I give a guarded "Cool idea" for this. I'd agree with others that you'd need some sort of fixture on these, but again, it's really just at a proof-of-concept stage here, and I think you've got enough positive input to move forward.
Old 05-19-2011, 02:54 PM   #26
WJC

Look at a conversion vans, they have the LEDS going around the perimeter, it will not jump out at you as much and looks good! You can also put some molding to hide them, and let them reflect off ceiling!
WJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 03:04 PM   #27

hmm ..

A better installation would be posted to the perameter of the exterior walls, with some type of "crown molding" to cover up the light strip itself .. then it would sell itself.

d-mo

sorry WJC .. just mirrored your response .. great minds think alike .
D-mo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 01:36 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by BC11 View Post
I agree with Gary I don't like the look of them on the ceiling, but I would love to have them under the cabinets. When I first looked at it I thought of a tour bus. I don't want my 5th wheel looking like a tour bus. I think it would make great accent lights just not main lights on the ceiling.

Kellie
Yeah, what he said. I would pass on a trailer if that was the only lighting option.
Next thing ya know they will want to hang a mirror ball where the ceiling fan goes.

Panhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 02:10 PM   #29
Commercial Member

"Next thing ya know they will want to hang a mirror ball where the ceiling fan goes."

PTM
RV Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 02:16 PM   #30

God I hate to think what I would look like in this lighting, after 60, we need a softer light..though this might look "cool" under the trailer...? but maybe the tubes would NOT like the road ride...D.
DBlum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 10:03 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by RV Guy View Post
"Next thing ya know they will want to hang a mirror ball where the ceiling fan goes."

PTM
COOL ..... Ummm, do you have one?
rracer5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2011, 09:26 AM   #32

Add opposing super slides, the mirrow ball ......DISCO!
Koodog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2011, 09:30 AM   #33

LED Lights

I love LED lighting. The LED rope lighting on the ceiling I don't like. It looks terrible. Just saying!
annamarie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2011, 09:32 AM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbelliott View Post
You guys need to not be so "old fashioned" LED's are the future of lighting and the best use of them is to spread the light out in a panel or strip. RVGuy, I have seen several applications that have a 2 or 3 inch wide, translucent strip covering recessed LED light tubes with wood looking accents on either side.

Yes old fashioned. Could you imagion having a Colonostopy with a regular light bulb at the end.
I vote for the much smaller LED.
Iggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 11:02 AM   #35

I think it's a little TOO different. If PT chooses to go that route, could you at least get the RGB color changing ones(;
mister_d is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
prime time