Old 11-15-2014, 09:22 AM   #1
Primetime Spartan Holding Tank Heaters & Winter Camping

I will be making a cross country trek here in early December, departing
the east coast for the PNW, more specifically MA to OR. My intended route is Interstate 80 or 70, depending on weather. My guess is, there are not many campgrounds that will be open so we will be utilizing truck and rest stops for our breaks. Due to the cold temperatures, my question is on the use of holding tank heaters and the furnace in our Spartan while traveling (greenhorn questions I'm sure).

I would like to carry water (cold) on board for use throughout our trip. What I need advice on is the use of the holding tank heaters while towing along with the furnace. I have plans on keeping the camper thermostat set to between 45 and 50 while towing and of course warmer when we are stopped (on generator). To keep the water and holding tanks from freezing, my plan is keeping the tank heaters on at the control center while towing and dry camping when temperatures are near or below freezing.

Is this recommended and do'able while towing? Obviously not a problem when stationary but I'm looking for some do's and do not's when it comes to winter towing and camping carrying at least to tank of fresh water. If If we are moving and the water in any of the tanks will be moving, is there even a need to keep the holding tank heaters on?

The unit is currently winterized and I did not plan on using hot water, as much as I would like to have it available. Suggestions on hot water usage would also be appreciated as it pertains to winter dry camping. I'm expecting the worst for winter conditions and hoping for the best. Not the best time of year to travel / camp but I have no choice. I know the Spartan has the Extreme Thermal Package so it can certainly handle the colder temperatures I'm guessing. I expect if the furnace is kept on, the plumbing will remain freeze free and if there are any structural leaks, I'm sure they will be discovered quickly in colder temps while traveling 60 mph down the road.

Our first 5'er, new to the forum and only our second haul with it as we upgraded from a basic bumper pull TT this past summer. Lots of new systems to become familiar with. I've learned lots already from the forum but I did not find anything specifically addressing my questions here unless I overlooked a previous post.

Thanks for any and all suggestions or guidance.

2014 Primetime Spartan 1234x
2011 Ford F-350 SRW 6.7
2013 Harley Davidson FLHTK

Our Adventure Blog
SNSPLS is offline   Reply With Quote

camping, heater, tank, winter