Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-22-2015, 11:15 AM   #1

Problems with manufacturer prime time

I am new to this site, but I would like some helpful advice.

We bought a 2015 PrimeTime Avenger. We purchased it based on the fact that the master bedroom was exactly the size I wanted. Our F150 can't handle a 5th wheel. I had never considered Forest River or Prime Time in our search for a new RV. But, the dealer said they were one of the best as far as quality and craftsmanship.

After getting the RV 11 days ago, the underbelly filled with water. After thorough inspection of the under pipes, it turns out that PrimeTime techs never connected the drain pipe from the shower to the grey water.

Our trailer is always cold. We burned through 2 30lb tanks of propane because the vents do not blow warm.

Finally (almost the straw that broke the camel's back) I had DirecTv come out to move our HD dish from our home to the RV (we are full-timing right now). After approximately 1 hour of searching, we discovered that the RV is only wired for cable. Goodness gracious! This is a 2015 model! Who uses cable/antenna only if you're fulltiming?

Anyway, I contacted the Tech Manager at PrimeTime. After a lengthy discussion, I stated the fact that NOWHERE is there documentation stating that the Avengers are not wired for satellite. Now we have to run new cable for HD to each room to support the SWM. I asked the Manufacturer to pay for new cable as I feel this is clearly misrepresentation and here is his response:

"Good afternoon,

You asked why the Avenger is not wired for satellite. The reason is just business considerations. There are numerous price points, and many competitors, so we offer all the features and benefits the price point can include.

You have asked us to add this benefit. I would like to accede to your wishes, but then in fairness we would have to offer the same to all, and we regret we are not able to do that.

Roger at Prime Time"

So, what do you all think? Is it worth escalating or do I just eat the $200 and re-run satellite so we can watch the antenna and satellite?
abrakadabra01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2015, 11:26 AM   #2

Just pay the $200 and move on. Work thru the "newness" and realize it's part of it, or, part ways with rv-ing. Our brand new 5er has a leak in the fresh water tank, wrong weight stickers from the factory, was missing a couple items we ordered, and several minor other items. I'm repairing them all and moving on. Not worth getting too upset over it. Also, be weary of taking about "full timing" in your PT. They are not made for that necessarily, and they can squawk at warranty claims for doing so. That said, we typically camp 65+ days a year, and wouldn't hesitate to full time for a period. In fact, I'm still trying to get my DW to go for it for several months.
Happy Campin!
jtstromsburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2015, 11:35 AM   #3

Plumbing not being connected properly SUCKS!

Furnace issue, SUCKS!

But the satellite issue is on you. You expect the manufacturer to tell you everything your trailer doesn’t have?? Your trailer isn’t plumbed for a washer/dryer setup either, do they mention that in the Avenger brochure? Probably not.

You bought an entry level trailer and want it to have all the amenities of a more expensive trailer built for extended use, it doesn’t work that way.

Pay to have the trailer wired yourself and I would suggest you do more research for any future purchases. Just my opinion.

Bob and Joyce
2013 CC Silverback 29RL
2010 Ford F250 XL Crew Cab 6.4 liter diesel
ATU Local 788
Oakman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2015, 11:39 AM   #4

The on-line documentation states it is wired for cable TV it does not say it is wired for satellite. So are you saying because it does not say it is NOT wired for satellite they should help you. If you assumed something it is not the manufactures fault. If they had said it was wired for Satellite and it was not then you would have a case.

Current: 2019 Sunseeker 2290S
Previous (2012-2016): 2012 Vibe 6501
1 Prospector Canoe, 2 Mtn. Bikes & 4 Hiking Boots
Happy Vibe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2015, 11:44 AM   #5

Send a message via AIM to B and B
Our Rockwood has both Cable and Satellite. I use both and the Cable feeds the bedroom for Satellite. As fas a specialty satellite setups I have Shawdirect, it is different from anything else out there, i would expect a manufacture to wire for my needs. Now the Composite Video connections are a another story, should be HDMI. The Gensisis with a Optical Digital Surround input that doesn't work is poor a manufacturer. I have had 2 trailers, same issue.

Drain should be fixed and it sounds like a duct is either not connected or blocked. I would see my selling dealer about both, should have been caught in the PDI.
2015 Heartland Bighorn 5th Wheel
2013 FR Rockwood 8289WS 5th Wheel
2012 FR Rockwood 2703 SS Travel Trailer
B and B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2015, 12:39 PM   #6

Thank you for all of your input. The Avenger 32FBI is a nice rig, just surprised at the issues.

I should mention that a lot of the concerns are because we are an active-duty Army family and we are changing Duty Stations soon. Because our whole-life is in here, it's not feasible to take it back to the dealer.

I will install the DirecTV. I think you're right. Doesn't take a lot and then we can be done once and for all. I haven't dropped the underbelly yet, but I'm sure running the new cables won't be too much hassle.
abrakadabra01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2015, 01:19 PM   #7

I had the same issue with Satillite prep. The difference is I was told it WAS prepped. NOT. So I got a splitter, the proper wall plate and a couple of coax cables and not it's prepped. My point is a lot of the issues we face with these trailers are simple fixes. I just have to sit and think about the problem and usually the answer presents itself. Not always, but most of the time. If I can't figure it out I come here and get the answers I need. 10X better than messing around with a dealer or manufacturer.
2018 F250 Lariat (ok but I miss my F150)

Getting old ain't for wimps!!!
Stormrider151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2015, 05:59 PM   #8

I hate to be an azz but I can't contain myself. We are talking about a piece of equipment that cost many months wages for many folk. The freaking plumbing is not connected correctly, probably causing permanent damage, mold, mildew. God knows what's wrong with the heating and air system and the main concern seems to be the TV wiring.
Back in 2008, I bought my GMC Duramax. If the first week I discovered the doors leaked water, H/A didn't work, and missing stuff I paid for, my attitude would be way more aggressive than, "Gee, it ain't worth getting upset over".
Based on some of the threads I've been reading, it seems the quality of these rigs makes a 1985 Yugo look like a high quality automobile. I'm getting the distinct impression they are assembled by minimum wage stooges in factories void of any quality control. Looks to me like, when writing a check for something costing maybe upward of the mid five figures, you'd want something you could camp with, not work on.
Ya'll have a good Memorial day now, ya hear.
fvstringpicker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2015, 02:01 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by abrakadabra01 View Post
I am new to this site, but I would like some helpful advice.

We bought a 2015 PrimeTime Avenger. We purchased it based on the fact that the master bedroom was exactly the size I wanted. Our F150 can't handle a 5th wheel. I had never considered Forest River or Prime Time in our search for a new RV. But, the dealer said they were one of the best as far as quality and craftsmanship.

After getting the RV 11 days ago, the underbelly filled with water. After thorough inspection of the under pipes, it turns out that PrimeTime techs never connected the drain pipe from the shower to the grey water.

Our trailer is always cold. We burned through 2 30lb tanks of propane because the vents do not blow warm.

Finally (almost the straw that broke the camel's back) I had DirecTv come out to move our HD dish from our home to the RV (we are full-timing right now). After approximately 1 hour of searching, we discovered that the RV is only wired for cable. Goodness gracious! This is a 2015 model! Who uses cable/antenna only if you're fulltiming?

Anyway, I contacted the Tech Manager at PrimeTime. After a lengthy discussion, I stated the fact that NOWHERE is there documentation stating that the Avengers are not wired for satellite. Now we have to run new cable for HD to each room to support the SWM. I asked the Manufacturer to pay for new cable as I feel this is clearly misrepresentation and here is his response:

"Good afternoon,

You asked why the Avenger is not wired for satellite. The reason is just business considerations. There are numerous price points, and many competitors, so we offer all the features and benefits the price point can include.

You have asked us to add this benefit. I would like to accede to your wishes, but then in fairness we would have to offer the same to all, and we regret we are not able to do that.

Roger at Prime Time"

So, what do you all think? Is it worth escalating or do I just eat the $200 and re-run satellite so we can watch the antenna and satellite?
Now that you own it...sadly, if you want the Dish you are probably stuck with the bill. It would be an easy item to overlook by "assuming" something that basic would be there.Moral of the story for anyone in the market for an RV ... avoid the inferior quality and support of FR. As a result of this forum I suggest to anyone I encounter to think twice and seriously explore other options. FR is known for incompetent QC. There are many options out there with superior quality.
The Villager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2015, 02:28 AM   #10
Just a member

Quote:
Originally Posted by B and B View Post
As far a specialty satellite setups I have Shawdirect, it is different from anything else out there...
Ain't that the truth! Far cry from the Star Choice days.

For the OP and as regards the lack of satellite infrastructure, I'd just bite the bullet and do what you need to do to get your sat system up and running. Trying to beat the OEM with the issue where they have the high ground is gonna cause you nothing but grief.

kandl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2015, 08:00 AM   #11

I am on the other side of the coin, have a Forest River Rockwood Roo 23IKSS with built in Sattelite and I will never use it, but like others said certain thing you can ask them to fix plumbing etc, but most people will just fix a large percentage of items on their own. Best of Luck to you whatever you decide and enjoy your RV

2014 F150 FX4 Crew 4X4 EB
2015 Roo 23IKSS

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
Old 05-24-2015, 12:36 PM   #12

Sounds to me that the heat vents probably aren't properly ducted. You will be surprised at the weirdness you will find in the lack of quality.

Have the heating checked while they repair the other items you are finding.
Old 05-26-2015, 08:59 PM   #13

I just went through that with my tracer air 250, turned out one of the ducts was torn and venting into the underbelly, and another was kinked off completely. Dealer had it fixed along with a few other small issues in less than two days. I could have foxed all the issues myself and probably done a better job but this is my first brand new trailer and I intend to get my monies worth out of the warranty if I have the time to let them do it. Get out there and enjoy it, they aren't built to last like a house and eventually more things will go wrong. Enjoy the ride until you move on and pass it to the next new owner.
coolzzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2015, 07:59 PM   #14

Sorry you have to eat it, there are different model and price points for a reason, and this issue is just one of those points. Sorry but this is life not just rving.
silverback 35ts is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
prime time