Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-05-2018, 01:32 PM   #1

(propane) gas change over

Rather chilly here last night (17) at 2 the furnace stopped blowing broke out the electric heater. Pulled the tanks this morning the drivers side was still filled all the way the passenger side was empty I was told that there was an automatic change over when on tanked emptied what am I doing wrong?? Thanks
pushing a 2007 Dodge
fhenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2018, 01:40 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by fhenn View Post
Rather chilly here last night (17) at 2 the furnace stopped blowing broke out the electric heater. Pulled the tanks this morning the drivers side was still filled all the way the passenger side was empty I was told that there was an automatic change over when on tanked emptied what am I doing wrong?? Thanks
Automatic change over doesn't make sense. You would never know one or the other was empty. You would wake up one morning with no gas. If there was one I would disconnect it. I like having some responsibility for myself.
cavie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2018, 01:42 PM   #3
Site Team

Which way was the pointer on the changeover regulator pointed?
Were the valves open on both cylinders?
Old 01-05-2018, 01:45 PM   #4

can not find a change over valve not any where near our last rv. I like the responsibility also when I change ot over went and refilled the empty tank asasp. where would this pointer be
pushing a 2007 Dodge
Old 01-05-2018, 01:45 PM   #5
Site Team

Quote:
This is a FAQ, and we have a tutorial on it at this link. Let me know if you have more questions.

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...or-146655.html

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
wmtire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2018, 01:56 PM   #6

Found it thanks like the top one hard too see with the black back ground.
pushing a 2007 Dodge
Old 01-05-2018, 02:08 PM   #7
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Quote:
Originally Posted by cavie View Post
Automatic change over doesn't make sense. You would never know one or the other was empty. You would wake up one morning with no gas. If there was one I would disconnect it. I like having some responsibility for myself.
Cavie, you need to read up on how auto change over valves operate.
Almost all trailers/5th wheels have them and they absolutely do alert you when one tank is empty, as long as you understand what you are looking at.

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2018, 02:17 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5picker View Post
Cavie, you need to read up on how auto change over valves operate.
Almost all trailers/5th wheels have them and they absolutely do alert you when one tank is empty, as long as you understand what you are looking at.
What I do understand is not all trailers/5th wheels have such devices as mine is 15 years old and such things were not installed. Being an electrician for 45 years I also know that such things do malfunction. I also know that a newbie may not know what he is looking at. I prefer a manual change over so I know what is going on and not having to guess.
cavie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2018, 02:20 PM   #9

Mine (2015 Wildcat 295ESX) has the auto change over as well, it doesn't work all the time, sometimes I have to go out flip it over and then back to get it to change tanks.
wildcatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2018, 02:21 PM   #10
Site Team

Quote:
Found it thanks like the top one hard too see with the black back ground.
Excellent, so you are good to go now?

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
wmtire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2018, 03:06 PM   #11

Yes maybe we can stay warm with all of this Yankee weather.
pushing a 2007 Dodge
Old 01-05-2018, 03:21 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmtire View Post
This is a FAQ, and we have a tutorial on it at this link. Let me know if you have more questions.

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...or-146655.html
Thanks for the link. I had never wanted to depend on the auto-changeover. However, this being a crazy cold winter, I didn't want the heater going out, so decided to use it. I still check the levels periodically, and keep an eye on the change-over valve (to check indicator color). It has changed over twice. I had expected it to and was ready to refill the empty tank as soon as it did. I am beginning to trust it a bit more with use.
Never Enough Time Camping!!
ben31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2018, 05:00 PM   #13
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Quote:
Originally Posted by ben31 View Post
Thanks for the link. I had never wanted to depend on the auto-changeover. However, this being a crazy cold winter, I didn't want the heater going out, so decided to use it. I still check the levels periodically, and keep an eye on the change-over valve (to check indicator color). It has changed over twice. I had expected it to and was ready to refill the empty tank as soon as it did. I am beginning to trust it a bit more with use.
Don't be afraid of using the change over.
As long as you regularly take a look at the visual indicator (as intended) it will alert you when one tank empties and it switches to the full one. You will never have to go out in the rain or the cold in the middle of the night to manually switch tanks. I've been using auto switch over valves this way for the better part of 30 years when we got our first R/V that had dual tanks, with zero issues.

If you decide to ignore what it is telling you (indicating) all bets are off.

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2018, 02:03 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by cavie View Post
When the flag goes red, I immediately turn the knob to the other side and pull the empty tank.
RussPastuch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2018, 06:28 PM   #15

My trailer came with documentation explaining the auto crossover valve, only to find it did not have one. Perhaps switched out by the dealer before I got it. But that is ok with me. I had one on another trailer but didn't like it. Crossover indicator was difficult to see, and confusing. Tank levels difficult to gauge, plus I didn't like the idea a gas leak could drain both tanks before I became aware. I have an automatic but made a personal choice to stay with the manual crossover.
Andersen hitch
CedarCreekWoody is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
gas, propane