Old 12-24-2014, 06:44 AM   #11

I certainly run the fridge, on propane starting it 12 hours before loading it. I continue running it on the road. As an ex-Fire Chief, please make sure you turn off the propane before fueling any vehicle and also NEVER use a cell phone at the pump. Look at the videos out there of explosions at the pump from cell phones.
I never had the need to run a furnace while traveling. If I need to run the A/C, I will start the generator. Its good to run the generator once in a while, under load.

2015 Keystone Bullet Travel Trailer
2016 F-150 Lariat with Auto Trailer Backup
Dog = Morki (Yorkie-Maltese) - Zoe
Malabarbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2014, 07:33 AM   #12
Mod free 5er

We run with the frig & water heater on all the time. Don't think I'd try the furnace as the trailer will heat up pretty fast and the draft across the furnace vents while traveling might not be a good thing.

Old 12-24-2014, 08:13 AM   #13

I refer will work without any real problems when traveling. You do not have the same requirements for combustion. It takes very little heat for your refer to cool due to the absorption system using ammonia as the coolant. Your talking about the same thing as almost as a pilot light. As for the furnace you need both combustion air for the gas mixture to be correct or you are going to cause or very easily cause a soot problem. If you had air blowing against the vent or stopping the vent your combustion would be off and cause your flame to yellow. You also have a double shafted motor which supplies your air flow and also draws in your combustion air. The force of the outside air can stop the correct amount of air entering at the bottom vent and exhausting from the top vent. It could very well create a static pressure problem that a 12v motor will not be able to over come. That is a very bad idea. I travel all the time with the refer on without any problems at all. But wouldn't even think about letting the furnace run. As far as the argument about gas stations I'm more worried about the people smoking around the pumps then my refer being on. My refer air inlet is a good 20' from my fuel tank and most times not even under the roof area of the diesel pumps. Also it is not force air combustion required.
Rockwood #8289 WS 2012
F250 6.0 / Husky 16k
With 4 point leveling system
Witch Doctor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2014, 11:42 AM   #14
Denver, CO

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmyt11664 View Post
I have to disagree with the amp draw. The blower draw is going to be much higher when it comes on. It maybe 4 amps when running at speed. But the burner will not have the right fuel /air mixture when you are towing at highway speeds. Also you stated that it will time out after 3 tries. So if no one is supposed to be traveling in the trailer going down the road, why would you try to heat it? Again no sense for this post.

OKAY, please measure things before you post. There is no compressor, and no "appreciable" startup amps. AND why is going down the highway different that being in a strong wind while parked.?

Yes the post is a little quirky, but the OP is asking a question that can be answered, and not dismissed as some are doing. REALLY, quit judging everyone's post and just answer accurately.

Whew.

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
Old 12-24-2014, 06:07 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ikanrun View Post
Can I run my furnace and refrigerator in my travel trailer while going from campsite to campsite ?
The best argument I have seen against it is that if you look where your propane lines are running, they are often exposed and prime targets for damage if/when you blow a tire. If something catches on fire and the tanks are open... What if you are in an accident and the emergency responders show up and don't know your propane tanks are on?

Usually the goal of people asking is to keep the fridge cool. A couple of companies make cheap battery operated fans to help circulate the air in the fridge (like $15 cheap). My last trip I used one and they worked well. Even when the trailer is parked and the fridge is running, circulation help can be beneficial to keep all of the food a more consistent temperature. On ebay there are some mod kits to add a fan to the inside of the fridge and have it power off of the 12v light inside of the fridge (avoid having to deal with batteries in stand-alone fans).
Old 12-30-2014, 02:44 PM   #16

I disagree you garbonz I have been in the automotive industry for 37 years, a D/C motor will be drawing more amperage upon initial start up. I have no interest in installing my fluke meter to verify your calculation . But I agree the amp draw is not a factor, I was only reference to a safety issue only. I am standing by my air/ fuel issue, and you are correct on the time out feature but what if that feature failed and you have a vehicle with propane inside the trailer and you have an ignition source from the blower that would cause a fire. I wouldn't want to have something on fire behind me going down the road that was attached to my rear end.
Old 12-30-2014, 03:05 PM   #17

Fridge is ok to run.

Furnace, not a good idea. Your unit, but I would never run the furnace going down the road........

2013 Forest River Salem Hemisphere SBT312QBUD

2001 CrewCab F-250 7.3 PowerStroke Diesel
SuperChip, BTS transmission, 6.0 Trans Cooler
Brother Les is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2014, 04:43 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by kohai View Post
The best argument I have seen against it is that if you look where your propane lines are running, they are often exposed and prime targets for damage if/when you blow a tire. If something catches on fire and the tanks are open... What if you are in an accident and the emergency responders show up and don't know your propane tanks are on?

Usually the goal of people asking is to keep the fridge cool. A couple of companies make cheap battery operated fans to help circulate the air in the fridge (like $15 cheap). My last trip I used one and they worked well. Even when the trailer is parked and the fridge is running, circulation help can be beneficial to keep all of the food a more consistent temperature. On ebay there are some mod kits to add a fan to the inside of the fridge and have it power off of the 12v light inside of the fridge (avoid having to deal with batteries in stand-alone fans).
I do not have rubber propane lines under my wheel wells, I have 1/2" galv. pipe along the bottom. I guess it depends on your unit. If I was in an accident god forbid, and my unit was on fire I guess it would to late already. You are right propane is dangerous, but the refer is designed to be on during travel. If you read the manual it will say that it's okay being the bounce in the road keeps the amonionia from settling in a tube and causing a blockage even if the unit is not level going up and down hills, it can also happen at a CG. That is why units will catch on fire, and is also why it's most important not to be off level while using it on propane or electric. I wouldn't even park on a slope for lunch with it on. But driving down the road is fine.
Rockwood #8289 WS 2012
F250 6.0 / Husky 16k
Old 12-30-2014, 05:57 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malabarbob View Post
I certainly run the fridge, on propane starting it 12 hours before loading it. I continue running it on the road. As an ex-Fire Chief, please make sure you turn off the propane before fueling any vehicle and also NEVER use a cell phone at the pump. Look at the videos out there of explosions at the pump from cell phones.
I never had the need to run a furnace while traveling. If I need to run the A/C, I will start the generator. Its good to run the generator once in a while, under load.
Chief, why is it okay in your opinion to run a generator that is either powered by gas or propane at a gas pump. Or do you mean when fueling it is also best to turn off your generator unless it's diesel? The only thing I can see is that you should even turn your truck engine off during refueling if it is gas rig , same as a car. Unless your generator is ran off diesel? I really do not think it safe to run anything under a over hang being that fumes are trapped without a breeze (not Likely) to be on the extreme side for conversation only. Fumes can be trapped without any breeze. At truck stops most if not all diesel pumps are not under any roof structure that could trap fumes. Such as Pilot, T/A, Loves, Hass and so on. Most you have a choice where to use the pump, I prefer to use the big boys pumps no over hangs to worry about, besides they are faster but my TV is a diesel.
Rockwood #8289 WS 2012
F250 6.0 / Husky 16k
Old 01-12-2015, 09:54 PM   #20

Thanks for all the input. We are heading for Florida in a week and I will not be running the furnace as it sounds like my TT will warm up quickly when we stop for the night. We will be staying in campgrounds on the way down so we will have shore power. Also have heated mattress pad so we should be pretty comfortable.

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums

Tags
heater, propane, refrigerator