Old 12-15-2014, 01:34 PM   #1

Propane heater and refrigerator

Can I run my furnace and refrigerator in my travel trailer while going from campsite to campsite ?

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums

Old 12-15-2014, 02:25 PM   #2

maybe

Depending on the unit you own, the furnace will not run on 12 volt alone like the refer will. If you have an onboard genny that you can run to give the furnace blower power than this can be done but if not it cannot be done.

scayne62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2014, 02:48 PM   #3

From what I understand, the limiter on the furnace operation is the capacity of the 12v battery. Some have said a single battery will not run the furnace overnight (without AC plugged in). All depends on temperature, length of trip, etc. In addition, the thermostat on the 2109S in not accessible when the slide is retracted.

The refer does not use 12v so that is not an issue.

There are other issues however associated with burning propane while underway. Personally, I would never run the furnace while underway. This could be a major safety issue in that you are in the TV while the furnace is not being tended.

Many have written on the refer operation question. This utilizes a small flame to cool so there is the issue of it being blown out and trying to relight. One of the concerns I have is while refueling the TV. If there is a flame in the trailer and you are close to a gas pump, this could be a problem.

I am one that believes the tank valves should be closed while underway to prevent a problem if a gas line were to rupture.
Old 12-15-2014, 03:21 PM   #4
Moderators' Assistant

Ok, let's clear this up.

Both the furnace and fridge need 12v DC power.

the fridge needs battery power, when on propane, to light the pilot and run its electronics when there's no shore power.
Many RV'ers run their fridge on propane, while traveling. It's quite common.

The furnace requires 12v DC power to ignite the burner and run the blower fan. It is the biggest consumer of battery power in your rig.
but I think it's a very bad idea to run the furnace while enroute.
What is your reasoning for this? It won' take long to warm it up, once you arrive.
and I doubt that your vehicle's alternator would be able to keep up with the furnace's drain.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
Equalizer WDH and Prodigy BC
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2014, 03:34 PM   #5
Fulltime family RVer

I always run our fridge from the time we start preparing for a trip until we get unloaded. I don't turn it off.

I actually am debating the heat. I have an upgraded alternator in my truck that I think would keep up with it (I have some "snow plow option" for fancier everything). I'm thinking that would give me a camper that's fairly warm when I arrive and then my camper's battery only has to support the furnace fan while it gets the rest of the way up to temperature.

My reason against it is that many of my vents are covered by slides when they're in. Seems bad that way.
Old 12-20-2014, 10:03 AM   #6

.We shutdown the ref., water pump, propane and electrical when we are on the road. We do not travel much further than 200 miles per day. When we get to the park, we hook-up and turn everything on. This has not caused us any problems.
I just think it is a safer way to travel in case something should happen. We travel some during the winter and it does not take long for the heater to warm up the trailer.
Old 12-23-2014, 03:26 PM   #7

I would think that the furnace would not vent correctly and due to the vent the furnace would have a very hard time with ignition. As the furnace was designed for stationary operating, not for traveling down the road at highway speeds. Think about the amount of air rushing across the vent, also it may create a vacuum, which would not cause any ignitor to light the flame. Thus what about fire hazardous. It makes no common sense to do this. Their is enough safety issues just driving. Why would you want to see flame coming from your trailer?
Old 12-23-2014, 06:20 PM   #8
Denver, CO

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikendan View Post
Ok, let's clear this up.

Both the furnace and fridge need 12v DC power.

the fridge needs battery power, when on propane, to light the pilot and run its electronics when there's no shore power.
Many RV'ers run their fridge on propane, while traveling. It's quite common.

The furnace requires 12v DC power to ignite the burner and run the blower fan. It is the biggest consumer of battery power in your rig.
but I think it's a very bad idea to run the furnace while enroute.
What is your reasoning for this? It won' take long to warm it up, once you arrive.
and I doubt that your vehicle's alternator would be able to keep up with the furnace's drain.

The furnace draws about 4 amps while running. The alternator will have no problem keeping up.. However, the ignition issue is a biggger problem with the fridge than the furnace as the flame is WAY inside the unit and not very susceptible to wind, I don't think. Refrig, little flame, furnace, big flame, not much different hazard wise. If either have problem igniting they will simply lock out after 3 tries

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
Old 12-24-2014, 01:16 AM   #9

I have to disagree with the amp draw. The blower draw is going to be much higher when it comes on. It maybe 4 amps when running at speed. But the burner will not have the right fuel /air mixture when you are towing at highway speeds. Also you stated that it will time out after 3 tries. So if no one is supposed to be traveling in the trailer going down the road, why would you try to heat it? Again no sense for this post.
Old 12-24-2014, 06:03 AM   #10

Get the frig cold and turn it off....it will stay cold inside for a long time.
And.......would not take very long for the furnace to heat up the inside of the rv when you stop. If if it does...carry a small electric heater with you if you have power at your next stop.

Tags
heater, propane, refrigerator