Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-15-2014, 01:34 PM   #1

Propane heater and refrigerator

Can I run my furnace and refrigerator in my travel trailer while going from campsite to campsite ?

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
Ikanrun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2014, 02:25 PM   #2

maybe

Depending on the unit you own, the furnace will not run on 12 volt alone like the refer will. If you have an onboard genny that you can run to give the furnace blower power than this can be done but if not it cannot be done.
https://www.epgsoft.com/visited-stat...00&format=jpeg
scayne62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2014, 02:48 PM   #3

From what I understand, the limiter on the furnace operation is the capacity of the 12v battery. Some have said a single battery will not run the furnace overnight (without AC plugged in). All depends on temperature, length of trip, etc. In addition, the thermostat on the 2109S in not accessible when the slide is retracted.

The refer does not use 12v so that is not an issue.

There are other issues however associated with burning propane while underway. Personally, I would never run the furnace while underway. This could be a major safety issue in that you are in the TV while the furnace is not being tended.

Many have written on the refer operation question. This utilizes a small flame to cool so there is the issue of it being blown out and trying to relight. One of the concerns I have is while refueling the TV. If there is a flame in the trailer and you are close to a gas pump, this could be a problem.

I am one that believes the tank valves should be closed while underway to prevent a problem if a gas line were to rupture.
DRiveWell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2014, 03:21 PM   #4
Site Team

Ok, let's clear this up.

Both the furnace and fridge need 12v DC power.

the fridge needs battery power, when on propane, to light the pilot and run its electronics when there's no shore power.
Many RV'ers run their fridge on propane, while traveling. It's quite common.

The furnace requires 12v DC power to ignite the burner and run the blower fan. It is the biggest consumer of battery power in your rig.
but I think it's a very bad idea to run the furnace while enroute.
What is your reasoning for this? It won' take long to warm it up, once you arrive.
and I doubt that your vehicle's alternator would be able to keep up with the furnace's drain.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2014, 03:34 PM   #5
Always Learning

I always run our fridge from the time we start preparing for a trip until we get unloaded. I don't turn it off.

I actually am debating the heat. I have an upgraded alternator in my truck that I think would keep up with it (I have some "snow plow option" for fancier everything). I'm thinking that would give me a camper that's fairly warm when I arrive and then my camper's battery only has to support the furnace fan while it gets the rest of the way up to temperature.

My reason against it is that many of my vents are covered by slides when they're in. Seems bad that way.
Old 12-20-2014, 10:03 AM   #6

.We shutdown the ref., water pump, propane and electrical when we are on the road. We do not travel much further than 200 miles per day. When we get to the park, we hook-up and turn everything on. This has not caused us any problems.
I just think it is a safer way to travel in case something should happen. We travel some during the winter and it does not take long for the heater to warm up the trailer.
utahlucky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2014, 03:26 PM   #7

I would think that the furnace would not vent correctly and due to the vent the furnace would have a very hard time with ignition. As the furnace was designed for stationary operating, not for traveling down the road at highway speeds. Think about the amount of air rushing across the vent, also it may create a vacuum, which would not cause any ignitor to light the flame. Thus what about fire hazardous. It makes no common sense to do this. Their is enough safety issues just driving. Why would you want to see flame coming from your trailer?
jimmyt11664 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2014, 06:20 PM   #8
Denver, CO

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikendan View Post
Ok, let's clear this up.

Both the furnace and fridge need 12v DC power.

the fridge needs battery power, when on propane, to light the pilot and run its electronics when there's no shore power.
Many RV'ers run their fridge on propane, while traveling. It's quite common.

The furnace requires 12v DC power to ignite the burner and run the blower fan. It is the biggest consumer of battery power in your rig.
but I think it's a very bad idea to run the furnace while enroute.
What is your reasoning for this? It won' take long to warm it up, once you arrive.
and I doubt that your vehicle's alternator would be able to keep up with the furnace's drain.

The furnace draws about 4 amps while running. The alternator will have no problem keeping up.. However, the ignition issue is a biggger problem with the fridge than the furnace as the flame is WAY inside the unit and not very susceptible to wind, I don't think. Refrig, little flame, furnace, big flame, not much different hazard wise. If either have problem igniting they will simply lock out after 3 tries

Old 12-24-2014, 01:16 AM   #9

I have to disagree with the amp draw. The blower draw is going to be much higher when it comes on. It maybe 4 amps when running at speed. But the burner will not have the right fuel /air mixture when you are towing at highway speeds. Also you stated that it will time out after 3 tries. So if no one is supposed to be traveling in the trailer going down the road, why would you try to heat it? Again no sense for this post.
Old 12-24-2014, 06:03 AM   #10

Get the frig cold and turn it off....it will stay cold inside for a long time.
And.......would not take very long for the furnace to heat up the inside of the rv when you stop. If if it does...carry a small electric heater with you if you have power at your next stop.
cpaulsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2014, 06:44 AM   #11

I certainly run the fridge, on propane starting it 12 hours before loading it. I continue running it on the road. As an ex-Fire Chief, please make sure you turn off the propane before fueling any vehicle and also NEVER use a cell phone at the pump. Look at the videos out there of explosions at the pump from cell phones.
I never had the need to run a furnace while traveling. If I need to run the A/C, I will start the generator. Its good to run the generator once in a while, under load.
2015 Keystone Bullet Travel Trailer
2016 F-150 Lariat with Auto Trailer Backup
Dog = Morki (Yorkie-Maltese) - Zoe
Malabarbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2014, 07:33 AM   #12
Mod free 5er

We run with the frig & water heater on all the time. Don't think I'd try the furnace as the trailer will heat up pretty fast and the draft across the furnace vents while traveling might not be a good thing.
Old 12-24-2014, 08:13 AM   #13

I refer will work without any real problems when traveling. You do not have the same requirements for combustion. It takes very little heat for your refer to cool due to the absorption system using ammonia as the coolant. Your talking about the same thing as almost as a pilot light. As for the furnace you need both combustion air for the gas mixture to be correct or you are going to cause or very easily cause a soot problem. If you had air blowing against the vent or stopping the vent your combustion would be off and cause your flame to yellow. You also have a double shafted motor which supplies your air flow and also draws in your combustion air. The force of the outside air can stop the correct amount of air entering at the bottom vent and exhausting from the top vent. It could very well create a static pressure problem that a 12v motor will not be able to over come. That is a very bad idea. I travel all the time with the refer on without any problems at all. But wouldn't even think about letting the furnace run. As far as the argument about gas stations I'm more worried about the people smoking around the pumps then my refer being on. My refer air inlet is a good 20' from my fuel tank and most times not even under the roof area of the diesel pumps. Also it is not force air combustion required.

Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2014, 11:42 AM   #14
Denver, CO

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmyt11664 View Post
I have to disagree with the amp draw. The blower draw is going to be much higher when it comes on. It maybe 4 amps when running at speed. But the burner will not have the right fuel /air mixture when you are towing at highway speeds. Also you stated that it will time out after 3 tries. So if no one is supposed to be traveling in the trailer going down the road, why would you try to heat it? Again no sense for this post.

OKAY, please measure things before you post. There is no compressor, and no "appreciable" startup amps. AND why is going down the highway different that being in a strong wind while parked.?

Yes the post is a little quirky, but the OP is asking a question that can be answered, and not dismissed as some are doing. REALLY, quit judging everyone's post and just answer accurately.

Whew.

Old 12-24-2014, 06:07 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ikanrun View Post
Can I run my furnace and refrigerator in my travel trailer while going from campsite to campsite ?
The best argument I have seen against it is that if you look where your propane lines are running, they are often exposed and prime targets for damage if/when you blow a tire. If something catches on fire and the tanks are open... What if you are in an accident and the emergency responders show up and don't know your propane tanks are on?

Usually the goal of people asking is to keep the fridge cool. A couple of companies make cheap battery operated fans to help circulate the air in the fridge (like $15 cheap). My last trip I used one and they worked well. Even when the trailer is parked and the fridge is running, circulation help can be beneficial to keep all of the food a more consistent temperature. On ebay there are some mod kits to add a fan to the inside of the fridge and have it power off of the 12v light inside of the fridge (avoid having to deal with batteries in stand-alone fans).
Old 12-30-2014, 02:44 PM   #16

I disagree you garbonz I have been in the automotive industry for 37 years, a D/C motor will be drawing more amperage upon initial start up. I have no interest in installing my fluke meter to verify your calculation . But I agree the amp draw is not a factor, I was only reference to a safety issue only. I am standing by my air/ fuel issue, and you are correct on the time out feature but what if that feature failed and you have a vehicle with propane inside the trailer and you have an ignition source from the blower that would cause a fire. I wouldn't want to have something on fire behind me going down the road that was attached to my rear end.
Old 12-30-2014, 03:05 PM   #17

Fridge is ok to run.

Furnace, not a good idea. Your unit, but I would never run the furnace going down the road........

2013 Forest River Salem Hemisphere SBT312QBUD

2001 CrewCab F-250 7.3 PowerStroke Diesel
SuperChip, BTS transmission, 6.0 Trans Cooler
Brother Les is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2014, 04:43 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by kohai View Post
The best argument I have seen against it is that if you look where your propane lines are running, they are often exposed and prime targets for damage if/when you blow a tire. If something catches on fire and the tanks are open... What if you are in an accident and the emergency responders show up and don't know your propane tanks are on?

Usually the goal of people asking is to keep the fridge cool. A couple of companies make cheap battery operated fans to help circulate the air in the fridge (like $15 cheap). My last trip I used one and they worked well. Even when the trailer is parked and the fridge is running, circulation help can be beneficial to keep all of the food a more consistent temperature. On ebay there are some mod kits to add a fan to the inside of the fridge and have it power off of the 12v light inside of the fridge (avoid having to deal with batteries in stand-alone fans).
I do not have rubber propane lines under my wheel wells, I have 1/2" galv. pipe along the bottom. I guess it depends on your unit. If I was in an accident god forbid, and my unit was on fire I guess it would to late already. You are right propane is dangerous, but the refer is designed to be on during travel. If you read the manual it will say that it's okay being the bounce in the road keeps the amonionia from settling in a tube and causing a blockage even if the unit is not level going up and down hills, it can also happen at a CG. That is why units will catch on fire, and is also why it's most important not to be off level while using it on propane or electric. I wouldn't even park on a slope for lunch with it on. But driving down the road is fine.

Old 12-30-2014, 05:57 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malabarbob View Post
I certainly run the fridge, on propane starting it 12 hours before loading it. I continue running it on the road. As an ex-Fire Chief, please make sure you turn off the propane before fueling any vehicle and also NEVER use a cell phone at the pump. Look at the videos out there of explosions at the pump from cell phones.
I never had the need to run a furnace while traveling. If I need to run the A/C, I will start the generator. Its good to run the generator once in a while, under load.
Chief, why is it okay in your opinion to run a generator that is either powered by gas or propane at a gas pump. Or do you mean when fueling it is also best to turn off your generator unless it's diesel? The only thing I can see is that you should even turn your truck engine off during refueling if it is gas rig , same as a car. Unless your generator is ran off diesel? I really do not think it safe to run anything under a over hang being that fumes are trapped without a breeze (not Likely) to be on the extreme side for conversation only. Fumes can be trapped without any breeze. At truck stops most if not all diesel pumps are not under any roof structure that could trap fumes. Such as Pilot, T/A, Loves, Hass and so on. Most you have a choice where to use the pump, I prefer to use the big boys pumps no over hangs to worry about, besides they are faster but my TV is a diesel.

Old 01-12-2015, 09:54 PM   #20

Thanks for all the input. We are heading for Florida in a week and I will not be running the furnace as it sounds like my TT will warm up quickly when we stop for the night. We will be staying in campgrounds on the way down so we will have shore power. Also have heated mattress pad so we should be pretty comfortable.

Ikanrun is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
heater, propane, refrigerator