Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-09-2013, 06:26 AM   #1

Propane leak

Went camping this weekend. When I flipped up the access door to turn on the propane, there was a smell of gas. I took the plastic cover off to disapate the gas. I tightened all the fittings and we camped. By morning we had gone thru a full tank. We did use the furnace since it was about 30 outside. Has anyone ran into this problem? My dealer is to far away to help with the problem. There is a Jayco dealer close by. Has anyone ever changed the gas regulator and rubber hoses? I assume these parts are generic and maybe i could buy them from the Jayco dealer. Thanks Bob
Old 03-09-2013, 06:43 AM   #2

I wonder where the leak was or is located ???

it would be nice to know
exactly where the leak was or is located

if you would so as to be safe
mix up a soapy solution in water in a spray bottle

spray that line in every place you can get to
and
watch carefully for bubbles

gas leaks are very serious
many get burned or die from these each year

Mountainman
Mountainmanbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 06:47 AM   #3

Same thing happened to us coming up from Florida to Ohio on Feburary 8th....in Virginia it got to 28 degrees and we had furnace on all night, but by 4:00 a.m. had went through a whole tank of gas. Can not find a leak though and now it is so cold in Ohio here, we cannot really work on this problem. Staying at a relatives house. When it warms up we are going to check it out. It may have smelled in there, but ran out of propane in the early morning and it had been out for some time before we realized it was not running, so we did not check outside until later. Smell could have left. Not sure what we are going to do....
amishgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 08:43 PM   #4

The regulator on my previous camper, a popup, began leaking. Propane was coming out of the vent hole in the regulator housing. The regulator has a diaphragm that was the source of the leak. The vent hole is small. On my regulator, the vent hole was in the top half of the housing.
RamblerGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 05:21 PM   #5

I used the soap bubble method. Both hoses were leaking at the brass fittings that screw into the propane tanks. I had purchased aftermarket gauges to gauge how much propane was left in the tanks. I think the gauges caused the fittings to fail because they streched the hoses to an extreme angle. i bought 2 more hoses and the problem was solved.