Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-31-2012, 12:17 PM   #1

Send a message via Yahoo to JoeyO
Question on Adco Covers

Another question from the new guy...

I have the 2012 Tracer Touring Edition and wanted to know if the actual length of the TT is 34'.0" as stated on PT's web site (does that include the bumper).

The ADCO designer series cover Model 32847 has the 34'.1" to 37' cover and I was thinking that this would be the one I would likely need, as material can shrink, plus I wasn't certain how strict ADCO is with their actual material measurements.

I like the fact that this has Tyvek and reinforced corners. Has anyone on this forum purchased this brand of cover and if so, for the 3150BHD? How is the strength of the material and do the straps do a good job of cinching up the extra material? Has anyone seen a better cost including freight than $425? (Sorry if talking price is taboo).
Thanks,
2011 Expedition 5.4L 4x4 Limited
2018 Highland Ridge 275 Light
Semper Fi
JoeyO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 12:46 PM   #2

IMHO covers are a waste of time and money. Bought my first one in 35 years last fall. Fought it installing it and when I did, ended up with four tears in the material from pulling on it and sharp corners on the awning hardware. After four months and when the bottom seam ripped about 10 feet I had had enough and took it off. Called the company, got my "free" replacement and that one is sitting in the garage with a for sale sign on it. Not to mention it is near impossible to get into the trailer and do things. My original thoughts on covers still holds after this fiasco.
donn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 04:10 PM   #3

Thanks Donn, I can understand the frustration in lining up a cover of this size. I have lawn furniture covers and they too can be a real PITA with the way they fit and fly off in the high winds.

However, in looking at the newer Tyvek covers from Adco, the multiple Velcro seams make it seem easier to manage when putting them on and accessing the TT. So I was hoping someone might already own this particular brand/style of cover.

With my TT sitting outdoors in the sun and snow, even with the protection coverage coating on the exterior, I think the extra trouble might be worth it.

Not trying to convince myself that I need both, just looking for some folks that have experienced Adco with Tyvek. Thanks! Joe
Semper Fi
Old 01-31-2012, 04:19 PM   #4

I never had an RV cover but I did have a cover on an old car once because I had nowhere to store it for the winter.Truth of it is that you couldn't have done much to the paint that would damage it more than what the cover did moving in the wind the slight bit that it did.I'll never cover anything again unless it is with a building.
1968 Pontiac Le Mans
Malco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 06:03 PM   #5
PT Crew Member #64

I have a cover on my 260rlt. Had a cover on my first fiver an adco one. It was the single ply side model, it shredded the first year. They replaced it and I upgraded to the three ply for a few dollars more and it has more straps and holds very well. Just cover sharp things so it won't catch and rip. I think a few hundred dollars to protect many thousands is worth the little trouble to get it on and offf if you park it for the winter
GarthJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 07:05 PM   #6

I have the same cover only a smaller version, model 32845. My old TT measured 28'5" for the trailer itself (not including the tongue). The version I got is for trailers 28'7"-31'6". That's what my dealer recommended I get but I wish I got the next size down because it is way too big. I have so much excess I can even cover my tongue and propane tanks and still have room.

The cover itself is very nice and I can put it on myself without help ( like I did this year). The secret is to get a trash can and in the spring when you remove it for the year, go to the rear and start to fold it in the trash can accordion style. Then in the fall when you put it back up just grab the top out of the can and climb up a ladder and proceed to the front of the trailer.

You also want to make sure you pad the corners and the gutter drips so it doesn't tear. I cut up a swimming noodle and use that. I had my cover for a couple years and it's still in great shape and the trailer looks just like it did when I covered it up in the fall. I would not be without one IMHO.
punkaccountant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 07:51 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by punkaccountant View Post
I have the same cover only a smaller version, model 32845. My old TT measured 28'5" for the trailer itself (not including the tongue). The version I got is for trailers 28'7"-31'6". That's what my dealer recommended I get but I wish I got the next size down because it is way too big. I have so much excess I can even cover my tongue and propane tanks and still have room.

The cover itself is very nice and I can put it on myself without help ( like I did this year). The secret is to get a trash can and in the spring when you remove it for the year, go to the rear and start to fold it in the trash can accordion style. Then in the fall when you put it back up just grab the top out of the can and climb up a ladder and proceed to the front of the trailer.

You also want to make sure you pad the corners and the gutter drips so it doesn't tear. I cut up a swimming noodle and use that. I had my cover for a couple years and it's still in great shape and the trailer looks just like it did when I covered it up in the fall. I would not be without one IMHO.
Another hint is to go to your local dollar store and buy a bunch of el-cheapo tennis balls. Cut an X in them and slip over the gutter extensions.

...VTX-Al
VTX Al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 08:21 PM   #8

What I did was get a bunch of those rubber foam pipe covers from lowes and cut them into sections to cover everything sharp. I then wrapped them in electric tape to stay. Haven't had any issues yet. Yes I'm on my 2nd cover in 2 years and thats because I forget a few sharp items that were not covered. I agree it is a PITA but in spring when I uncover it and its just as clean when I put it away makes me happy. Less scrubbin in spring and keeps the leaves, bird droppings and twigs from sitting on it all winter.

I guess its personal preference but its the next best thing to keeping it stored in a building.
Eastlake, OH
EastlakeRoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 08:57 PM   #9
Dallas Texas

I looked at Adco covers, specifically the Designer series. After much research, reading reviews, talking to dealers, etc., I decided not to go with Adco.

A common complaint was the cover didn't last more than 2 years. Which, by the way is the warranty. Spending 400-500 bucks and only getting a 2 year warrantly doesn't sound like a good deal. You have to wonder if the cover is as good as they say why the warranty is so short!

I called Adco and asked to speak to someone knowledgable of the cover.I asked the guy what set the Adco cover apart from the others. There was complete silence. He had no compelling information that made me even slightly consider Adco. Once he learned I was in Tx he wanted to to sell me a custom cover made of Sunbrella. Chaching

I'm not trying to talk you out of Adco, it's your money. I cannot in good faith recommend them however I don't have any personal experience. Camper World sells them - at retail of course. But they offer a no questions asked replacement warranty. The sales person I spoke to highly recommended it because several of her customers have used it. There are several web sites that sell those covers. Many have free shipping. Check around and I bet you find a better deal then $425.
Old 01-31-2012, 10:13 PM   #10

I had an Adco cover for my last trailer and it worked swell for 5 years. It took about 20 minutes to put on (by myself) and about 10 minutes to take off and about 15 minutes to fold up with help. Only had one small tear which was my own fault (which I repaired with the kit they supplied). Our winters are fairly harsh here in Ontario and when I sold the trailer it still was in great shape. It took less time to put on and take off then it took to clean the trailer. The cover kept the trailer clean.
MikeA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 10:48 PM   #11

X 2 on the tennis balls and cutting an X in them. They hold great over gutter extensions, much better than the soft swim noodle foam I used the 1st year. You can also use them on the sharp edges like where the cover pulls around your step corners. I did have a couple of holes that were repaired with left-over Eternabond and it holds great. Covered my antenna that has a wingman(with sharp edges) with a small carpet remnant. I have the Adco designer cover and really like the piece of mind protection it gives me knowing ice,snow & water that sets on the roof during the winter months unchecked. Covers are best installed during a windless day. My trailer is 28' long, and I put it on myself with no problems. It is longer(got the 28'-31' size) and does go over my tanks and tongue, but that just keeps water off my power jack.
Battlefield, Missouri
F.R.O.G. Member
1st International F.R.O.G. Rally Branson Missouri
JohnandPandra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 02:17 PM   #12

Update - at the Rosemont IL Camping and RV Show last week, there was a vendor who was selling 7 different size RV Covers that had ONE COST regardless of the size.
Unfortunately they do not have a website, just a email and phone is on their flyer that I just located.

They specialize in Corvette covers, but had the RV covers on display and in boxes. All were grey, they repelled standing water very well with no leaks. They also had less velcro access points than Adco's, which can be a pro or con but the cost and warranty is what peaked my interest.
The only contact info was email and cell #. He's located in Shumway, IL $200 ea and 2 year warranty (water repel for two years and provide a patch kit). Concerning a bit, but this is a cottage hobby regarding accessories, so looking for anyone who might had purchased one?

Any feedback on this
Semper Fi