Old 01-08-2012, 06:54 AM   #1
Raising Outside Kitchen Height of Door

Hello, just purchased a 355BHQ and will pick it up in two weeks. A little nervous as we have always had Jayco's and loved them. This is our first brand outside of Jayco and with them being relatively new I couldn't get enough research done. But we loved the floorplan and it seemed to be well constructed. Anyways I am over 6'3" and I hit my head on the outside kitchen when it is open. Can I install longer struts on the door latch? Any issues with that or recommendations? Thanks and looking forward to getting some info off this site.

Prime Power is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 07:57 AM   #2
Welcome and congratulations on the camper. I don't have an outside kitchen, but I do see where that would be nice. In just thinking about it, I don't see why you could not change the struts to something longer as long as the new ones fit in the closed position.

2012 Rockwood 8314BSS
2011 Chevy
Camping, Dutch Oven Cooking, and Homebrewing
campdohbrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 08:41 AM   #3
Thanks. Thats what I was thinking, hopefully one of the techs here will take notice and maybe give me a recommendation on one.
Old 01-08-2012, 10:02 AM   #4
Wanna Be Camper
Prime Power,

First welcome to the site, you will find many knowledgable people here that can give you ideas of what to do. That being said this site is not run by Forest River or affiliated with them in any way but is a privately owned web site and everyone here are just avid campers as yourself and we try to help each other out as best we can. I would suggest talking to your dealer and seeing what they recommend to address your issue.

John & Deb
2011 F250 Lariat FX4 Crew Cab 6.2
2011 Flagstaff V-Lite 30WRLS
Days Camped 2013: 16 2014: 5 2015: 3
SaskCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 11:12 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus
Going to tough to find longer struts that will be short enough when closed. I suggest for short term, tape some streamers on the corners to remind you to duck.
2012 Ford F250 ext. Cab 4x4
2002 Jeep Wrangler Sahara
2008 Yamaha V-Star 650 Classic

2008 Work and Play 18LT
LadyWindrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 11:15 AM   #6
I could probably relocate the attachment points.
Old 01-08-2012, 01:29 PM   #7
We just brought home a 2012 Sabre RKOK and have the same problem. My husband is ok but some of our camping buddies are too tall. We too are looking for a solution to this problem.

katsmeow62 is offline   Reply With Quote