Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-17-2012, 01:15 PM   #21

Hey, thanks for being long winded, you gave me some information that I did not know about the auto and searching. I need to just sit down now and read the manual that I downloaded yesterday. I will be sure and shutoff the propane when I am refueling....good information about the bridges and tunnels, never would have realized why they wanted me to pull over....now I know before I get to a situation like that. Everyday is a learning experience....and the old saying, " you can't teach an old dog, new tricks", won't apply here.
Mark and Linda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 01:17 PM   #22
itch'n to road trip

Send a message via AIM to campnqueen Send a message via MSN to campnqueen Send a message via Yahoo to campnqueen
Buy this fan on ebay! WORK GREAT! Look up this like on ebay "DOMETIC NORCOLD REFRIGERATOR FAN FOR RV 12 VOLT".. sooo easy to plug in and does a fabulous job! WAT better than those battery fans you get at CW.

DOMETIC NORCOLD REFRIGERATOR FAN FOR RV 12 VOLT | eBay

2012 Ford F-250 King Ranch Super Crew Cab 4x4
2014 Work & Play 25ULA
Paula Drake, Ken Cooksey, Sunny Delight, Valor & Scarlet Begonia
Jasper Ga.
campnqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 01:25 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by herk7769 View Post
My 2 cents.

1) Freeze water in plastic Ziploc bags (or milk cartons) and put them into fridge to help get it down to temperature quicker. (make sure there is an air space and the seal does not open when frozen)

2) TURN OFF the "climate control" switch inside the door UNLESS you are on shore power. It is a 12 volt DC "defroster" and uses up battery juice like you won't believe.

3) Always use "Both" when on shore power. If the power fails at the campground for any reason, you won't come home to a puddle if ice cream on the floor; the propane will fire up to keep your stuff cold until the power comes on and it will automatically switch back to shore power.
(It will never use any propane as long as there is power)

Thanks...some more good information that I did not know. I copy and paste this info into my notes so I don't forget and I can show them to the DW who is at work.
Old 01-17-2012, 01:27 PM   #24
Site Team - Lou

In case you don't have the manual
Attached Files
File Type: pdf DM 2652operation.pdf (193.7 KB, 27 views)
File Type: pdf DM2652 RV Fridge Installation Manual.pdf (3.05 MB, 28 views)
File Type: pdf DM2652 RV Fridge Parts List.pdf (366.8 KB, 21 views)
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 11:03 PM   #25
2000 Cardinal 5th Wheel

Mark and Linda................also, it is better if you run your Fridge for the full season, rather than off, on, off , etc.....
I start mine up in April usually (depending on snow)and run it full time till Oct, or Nov.

Prevents problems with the system, rust, etc.............also they are made to travel...............so, leave it on auto to travel.......................running it on propane and traveling is how it was designed.
bfast54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 03:53 PM   #26
On The Road from CO

I don't remember ever hearing or reading about turning the propane off when pulling in for fuel???
KStevens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 04:13 PM   #27

Send a message via Skype™ to DAISY BOYKIN
I have never turned the gas off-------

I have never turned the gas off while refueling. I have been camping for close to 18 years now. On my present RV my fridge is on the door side of the RV with the fridge vent door close to 4 1/2 ft from the ground. My fueling station for gas is on the driver side of my truck, which puts the gas cap close to 25 FT from the fridge vent door. Gas vapors are heavier that air, therefore this puts gas vapors at the ground while fueling.
Cell phones, static spark and adjacent vehicles create more of a danger when fueling than the pilot for the fridge.

Just my two cents
TST Truck System Technologies TM-507SE
DAYS CAMPED 2023 69 DAYS
[SIGPIC][/SI[SIGPIC]
DAISY BOYKIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 02:17 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAISY BOYKIN View Post
I have never turned the gas off while refueling. I have been camping for close to 18 years now. On my present RV my fridge is on the door side of the RV with the fridge vent door close to 4 1/2 ft from the ground. My fueling station for gas is on the driver side of my truck, which puts the gas cap close to 25 FT from the fridge vent door. Gas vapors are heavier that air, therefore this puts gas vapors at the ground while fueling.
Cell phones, static spark and adjacent vehicles create more of a danger when fueling than the pilot for the fridge.

Just my two cents

That may be true and relatively safe but, it's a law in most states because of OPEN flame. Then there is always the "rogue" DOT state trooper (who are always versed on the most obscure state laws) who just might follow you into the fuel station because he's having a slow day.

Not that I'm paranoid but, why add another worry to your vacation time (blown tires, mechanical breakdown is enough worries). IMHO.
rracer5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 02:45 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by KStevens View Post
I don't remember ever hearing or reading about turning the propane off when pulling in for fuel???
Take a look at Page 8 of the operation manual on post #24 of this thread, http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...tml#post155366, it reads:

Quote:
!WARNING

Most LP gas appliances used in recreational vehicles are vented to the outside of the vehicle. When parked close to a gasoline pump, it is possible that the gasoline fumes could enter this type of appliance and ignite from the burner flame, CAUSING A FIRE OR AN EXPLOSION.

FOR YOUR SAFETY, when refueling, shut off all LP gas appliances which are vented to the outside.
frankm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 06:50 PM   #30

Question - if your going on a long trip - travling for hours - can you bring along food in the fridge?

I have been told that the fridge should be off prior to travel.

Any hints/thoughts?
Jim_Pat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 06:57 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by rracer5 View Post
We have taken 8 - 10 hour trips with the fridge in propane mode with no problems. Just be aware that when you pull in to fuel up the tow vehicle, the propane MUST be turned off. Also, some larger bridges and tunnels reguire all propane to be turned off before going through or over them.
Just to clarify this a little bit; I would recommend turning off the fridge as well as shutting off the propane. I know that is likely what you meant.

If you just shut off the propane, the fridge will keep trying to see if it can light. The spark it uses to try and light can be just as dangerous around gas fumes.

"The trouble with quotes on the Internet is that it is nearly impossible to discern if they are genuine." - Abraham Lincoln
ken0042 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 07:26 PM   #32

I moved up from a PUP to a TT and was wondering about the same thing. My PUP refrig. would run off of DC from the battery and Tow Vehicle. The reason we bought the TT was so we didn't have to lug ice chests. I am going to start my fridge a few days before I head out, put some frozen bottles inside to help, load it with the food, turn on the propane and hit the trail. Read all the pertaining replies on this thread...will help you decide.
Old 02-27-2012, 08:32 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim_Pat View Post
Question - if your going on a long trip - travling for hours - can you bring along food in the fridge?

I have been told that the fridge should be off prior to travel.

Any hints/thoughts?

We've started the fridge the day before to get it cold. Then, loaded it up and hit the road with it running on propane. When we got to our destination, I can crack a cold one (from the fridge) while setting up.
Old 02-27-2012, 08:50 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by ken0042 View Post
Just to clarify this a little bit; I would recommend turning off the fridge as well as shutting off the propane. I know that is likely what you meant.

If you just shut off the propane, the fridge will keep trying to see if it can light. The spark it uses to try and light can be just as dangerous around gas fumes.

DUH, . Yup, forgot to mention that. The igniter would probably "time out" anyway (if you had stopped to turn off the propane sometime prior to pulling up to the pump). Better to turn off fridge first then propane. Otherwise you would have to go back in the TT anyway and turn fridge off then on to reset the igniter.
Old 02-27-2012, 09:01 PM   #35

So from what I've read -
Get a small fan to help with air movment -and put at bottom of fridge.

leave space (don't fill it to overflowing)

and make sure the beer is cold in case you run into rracer5

Rochester MN
2011 Dodge Ram 3500 Short Bed
2013 Wildcat 344QB - Level-up, Demco Glide-ride
Jim_Pat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 09:19 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim_Pat View Post
So from what I've read -
Get a small fan to help with air movment -and put at bottom of fridge.

leave space (don't fill it to overflowing)

and make sure the beer is cold in case you run into rracer5

Old 02-27-2012, 10:05 PM   #37

Yep, pre-chill everything. I have a "beer" fridge in the garage, water and drinks make an overnight visit in the beer fridge on the way to the camper.

Keep the door closed - fanning the door is a no-no with RV fridges.

The little battery powered fans a great.

I leave my fridge running all season (keep camper plugged up in the back yard). That way I do not have to pack all the stuff in after each trip.